The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

So to the album....

Having watched the film I have listened to the music a few times more. It was like watching the concert with an empty seat in front and suddenly the largest widest tallest person with a six gallon hat sits directly in front of you. You can still hear the music but can't see a bloody thing! How frustrating is that?
The visuals definitely help massively but having enjoyed the film so much I did hear the music with far less jaded ears. Tracks that sounded 'samey' before were now far more defined. I appreciated the instrumentation far more - that is one hell of a rhythm section with the wonderful Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz. The band fizzes and the groove is very strong. I didn't dislike any of the tracks but particularly enjoyed Al Greens Take me to the River, Slippery People, Life during Wartime and all the singles. A great concert paces itself. Some build to a climax, relax a bit then build again. This built track by track and just kept going.

There has been lots of discussion about vocal style and singing being secondary to the music. I think this album nails that little diversion. Without Byrne's vocals and the completely wonderful backing singers this album would be a shadow of what it is. Ok, he will not feature in any opera anytime soon but his delivery is absolutely perfect for this music.

Thankyou @LGWIO, I forgive you for the football team you support (almost). This was a wonderful pick and I will give it 8 for the content and 1 for introducing me to the film and ensuring I will play this repeatedly and explore TH back catalogue. That's a 9.

So to the album....

Having watched the film I have listened to the music a few times more. It was like watching the concert with an empty seat in front and suddenly the largest widest tallest person with a six gallon hat sits directly in front of you. You can still hear the music but can't see a bloody thing! How frustrating is that?
The visuals definitely help massively but having enjoyed the film so much I did hear the music with far less jaded ears. Tracks that sounded 'samey' before were now far more defined. I appreciated the instrumentation far more - that is one hell of a rhythm section with the wonderful Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz. The band fizzes and the groove is very strong. I didn't dislike any of the tracks but particularly enjoyed Al Greens Take me to the River, Slippery People, Life during Wartime and all the singles. A great concert paces itself. Some build to a climax, relax a bit then build again. This built track by track and just kept going.

There has been lots of discussion about vocal style and singing being secondary to the music. I think this album nails that little diversion. Without Byrne's vocals and the completely wonderful backing singers this album would be a shadow of what it is. Ok, he will not feature in any opera anytime soon but his delivery is absolutely perfect for this music.

Thankyou @LGWIO, I forgive you for the football team you support (almost). This was a wonderful pick and I will give it 8 for the content and 1 for introducing me to the film and ensuring I will play this repeatedly and explore TH back catalogue. That's a 9.
NO! Thank you.
Forget the scoring, its the fact that one person may have discovered/enjoyed something they wouldnt have heard before. That to me is what is wonderful about this. Its how I felt about Fantastic Negrito and to a degree Budos Band. Both wonderful "finds", that I doubt I would ever have listened to.
Now its time for quick change and head up to Belfast for the Pixies. I may even have a little drink tonight.
Keep safe all

NO! Thank you.
Forget the scoring, its the fact that one person may have discovered/enjoyed something they wouldnt have heard before. That to me is what is wonderful about this. Its how I felt about Fantastic Negrito and to a degree Budos Band. Both wonderful "finds", that I doubt I would ever have listened to.
Now its time for quick change and head up to Belfast for the Pixies. I may even have a little drink tonight.
Keep safe all
Enjoy it mate.

Totally agree. The huge overkill on the synths here alone would be enough to put most reviewers off most other albums, so I'm genuinely surprised that it is so highly regarded. Nostalgia is a strong emotion (and rose-tinted specs are doing a roaring trade).
Or they just like it is another possibility:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.