The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

If she sounds like LDR then I won’t hate it. I’ve recently been listening to a fair bit of Raye’s rap/soul/r and b/ jazz. I can’t say I like everything but by god, the woman has the best voice I’ve heard since Amy Winehouse.
Anyhow, Foggy is constantly saying we will hate something (eg Sugar) and then we like it. I think it’s a strange reverse psychology.
It's true -- this group surprises me sometimes. But I don't have a a single record in the top 25. So that pretty much tells you I should have low expectations. I even brought up "London Calling" once and a few folks trashed it FFS.

Aaah...the joys of an modern day Lene Lovich.

Curious on first few song skip listens, the above, Stefani, numerous other 'slightly weird for no reason' female singers mixed in with a voice that's got that breathy quality that all recent songstresses seem to have to have.

Have we heard it before? Yup. With the rude-ish lyrics? Yup. Kooky looks? Yup. Weird breaks for no reason? Yup.

Away at the mo, I will give it at least one full stab when I get back, but "Lucky Number" could slot in very easily on this album from what I've heard so far.

Is that a good thing?

Hmmmm.
Never got on with Lene Lovich, but I did have a thing for Rachel Sweet also on Stiff (ahem) Records

It's true -- this group surprises me sometimes. But I don't have a a single record in the top 25. So that pretty much tells you I should have low expectations. I even brought up "London Calling" once and a few folks trashed it FFS.
Would it surprise you if this weeks nomination isn’t really my thing - I will persevere though. However, your Sugar reference is still producing the goods - love both albums!!

Edit: just checked the rankings, I also have nothing in the top 25. In fact as is usually the way, it would appear I’m a boring plod around the middle sort of poster

That must fuel your ambition to do much better in future ;-)

It’s not about winning Foggy, it’s about taking part.
To do that, I'd have to pick the Stone Roses debut. I think I could even pick "Exile on Main Street" or "Who's Next" or fucking "Wish You Were Here" and those records wouldn't make it with this crowd.

I think the biggest issue is that I'm not a Manc, so while New Order is my favo(u)rite band ever and I very much like lots of other Manc bands and am even a Manco-phile on a wide variety of levels, I just wasn't there when everyone's lives were shaped by "The Queen Is Dead". The other issue is that I'm not into sit-and-listen mopery and lots of other posters here are. That's what it comes down to.

Yeah but if you told a seventeen year old they had won the lottery and been granted eternal life and good looks they would roll their eyes and mutter how boring/sad under their breath.

Haha true, but these two have currently started showing signs of normal human behaviour ??? I think they may be alien abductee replacements.

I've got it on and it's fairly inoffensive so I doubt it'll elicit strong reactions but it might generate some interesting conversation though I'm not sure where an identity politics discussion on this thread might end up!

To do that, I'd have to pick the Stone Roses debut. I think I could even pick "Exile on Main Street" or "Who's Next" or fucking "Wish You Were Here" and those records wouldn't make it with this crowd.

I think the biggest issue is that I'm not a Manc, so while New Order is my favo(u)rite band ever and I very much like lots of other Manc bands and am even a Manco-phile on a wide variety of levels, I just wasn't there when everyone's lives were shaped by "The Queen Is Dead". The other issue is that I'm not into sit-and-listen mopery and lots of other posters here are. That's what it comes down to.

You're so fucking rude, it's a good job this thread is populated by archetypally polite brits :-)

Thank you.

I already own everything Eno did and a shitload of Wyndham Hill so I'm good. :)

Uh, it might make a difference. I'm not sure. I got this from my wife. My daughter likes it okay; she just thought it was funny I'd nominate it.

No.

I was alright with this response until the last answer :-(

Haha true, but these two have currently started showing signs of normal human behaviour ??? I think they may be alien abductee replacements.

I've got it on and it's fairly inoffensive so I doubt it'll elicit strong reactions but it might generate some interesting conversation though I'm not sure where an identity politics discussion on this thread might end up!
With an one LGBTQ kid I hope there isn't any discussion of identity politics and that definitely isn't the point of this record IMO (nor me picking it). Her themes are pretty simple and straightforward -- to me, it's just the "I am who I am" dynamic that runs through every song that I enjoy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.