The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

To do that, I'd have to pick the Stone Roses debut. I think I could even pick "Exile on Main Street" or "Who's Next" or fucking "Wish You Were Here" and those records wouldn't make it with this crowd.

I think the biggest issue is that I'm not a Manc, so while New Order is my favo(u)rite band ever and I very much like lots of other Manc bands and am even a Manco-phile on a wide variety of levels, I just wasn't there when everyone's lives were shaped by "The Queen Is Dead". The other issue is that I'm not into sit-and-listen mopery and lots of other posters here are. That's what it comes down to.
I think it’s wider. There is an American/UK aspect. Neither side can fully grasp how the other have lived their lives and absorbed music over the years. We all try but it’s an impossible task. That forms our opinions of genres, bands, individuals…

Unfortunately sit and listen mopery has featured quite a bit recently albeit many have enjoyed it. I have the same reaction to American hard rock and most country. I’m sure stuff will be proposed that you like soon. It comes in waves. I even fucked off for a year because I lost interest in most of what was being put forward. I have to say now though I’m enjoying the thread more than ever.

Haha true, but these two have currently started showing signs of normal human behaviour ??? I think they may be alien abductee replacements.

I've got it on and it's fairly inoffensive so I doubt it'll elicit strong reactions but it might generate some interesting conversation though I'm not sure where an identity politics discussion on this thread might end up!
Ha ha. My 17 year old granddaughter is an absolute joy so I was being a bit cliched.

I’m sure any such discussion would be adult and enlightened.

With an one LGBTQ kid I hope there isn't any discussion of identity politics and that definitely isn't the point of this record IMO (nor me picking it). Her themes are pretty simple and straightforward -- to me, it's just the "I am who I am" dynamic that runs through every song that I enjoy.

I made that comment partly because (a) on first listen it's pleasant but I'm not yet convinced there's enough there to sustain a really interesting musical debate and (b) having had a bit of a google a large chunk of the copy written about her is not musical it's more broadly cultural and political with a little p.

You're so fucking rude, it's a good job this thread is populated by archetypally polite brits.
Ha ha ha -- polite? The first time I ever went to a City match long ago I got a cheap seat near the away fans (vs. Sheff Utd I think? Stoke? You'd think I'd remember -- someone in red stripes -- Robinho missed a pen and Micah scored I recall) and was shocked by the vitriol and invectives hurled at the away support, the referee, the opposing players, opposing manager . . . it was GLORIOUS.

Ha ha ha -- polite? The first time I ever went to a City match long ago I got a cheap seat near the away fans (vs. Sheff Utd I think? Stoke? You;d think I'd remember -- someone in red stripes -- Robinho missed a pen and Micah scored I recall) and was shocked by the vitriol and invectives hurled at the away support, the referee, the opposing players, opposing manager . . . it was GLORIOUS.

Well yes, I was being tongue in cheek. There's a reason people on the 'continent' occasionally call us "Inselaffen".

You're lucky that was your first game, not long prior to that the invective was aimed mostly at our own players! Someone once told me that one of the NFL teams was as at least as bad as english football fans, might have been The Browns?

It's true -- this group surprises me sometimes. But I don't have a a single record in the top 25. So that pretty much tells you I should have low expectations. I even brought up "London Calling" once and a few folks trashed it FFS.
Should’ve gone for ‘Copper Blue’ if your looking to win friends and influence people, lots on here like it including myself.

Well yes, I was being tongue in cheek. There's a reason people on the 'continent' occasionally call us "Inselaffen".

You're lucky that was your first game, not long prior to that the invective was aimed mostly at our own players! Someone once told me that one of the NFL teams was as at least as bad as english football fans, might have been The Browns?
VERY sadly I have heard that too, despite being as good as we are now. I recall walkouts when we weren't stomping Aston Villa a few years back. And it hurt to hear it TBH. When you fly 5,500 miles for a match you aren't leaving early ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.