The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I think it’s wider. There is an American/UK aspect. Neither side can fully grasp how the other have lived their lives and absorbed music over the years. We all try but it’s an impossible task. That forms our opinions of genres, bands, individuals…

Unfortunately sit and listen mopery has featured quite a bit recently albeit many have enjoyed it. I have the same reaction to American hard rock and most country. I’m sure stuff will be proposed that you like soon. It comes in waves. I even fucked off for a year because I lost interest in most of what was being put forward. I have to say now though I’m enjoying the thread more than ever.
Oh, there has been plenty I've liked. We just went through a run I didn't care for, but more than that, I just didn't understand the rapturous scores for some of it under any set of circumstances, cultural or no. If I hear a record I've never heard and it's an 8, that's a huge positive discovery for me -- even a 7 is. Maybe I'm just a particularly difficult grader? There a bunch of records with average scores of 7+ that I just can't understand, but also many I totally can. That's music for ya!

That may be true but I’m not convinced the American humour particularly gets British sarcasm and taking the piss either.

I used to think that was a bit of a myth but I worked with a team of really bright Americans from a variety of states and the running joke became my unhelpful use of the word "brilliant" and which type of "brilliant" was I using, the "you've done a great job" type or the "bollocks well now we'll have to dig ourselves out of the shit" type. I would say surely it's blindingly obvious based on the context and vocal intonation but they would say "nope we're never entirely sure"!

I used to think that was a bit of a myth but I worked with a team of really bright Americans from a variety of states and the running joke became my unhelpful use of the word "brilliant" and which type of "brilliant" was I using, the "you've done a great job" type or the "bollocks well now we'll have to dig ourselves out of the shit" type. I would say surely it's blindingly obvious based on the context and vocal intonation but they would say "nope we're never entirely sure"!
No. I have also worked quite a bit with Americans in the IT industry. They are a little like Germans when it comes to humour. They like it physical or slapstick or preferably both.

Oh, there has been plenty I've liked. We just went through a run I didn't care for, but more than that, I just didn't understand the rapturous scores for some of it under any set of circumstances, cultural or no. If I hear a record I've never heard and it's an 8, that's a huge positive discovery for me -- even a 7 is. Maybe I'm just a particularly difficult grader? There a bunch of records with average scores of 7+ that I just can't understand, but also many I totally can. That's music for ya!
You and me both. I start any album I haven’t heard at 5. The TH album was part of a huge discovery for me but that’s an exception. Only 20% of my marks would be 8 or above, like 20% should be 3 or less. Everyone scores differently though.

I can't be the only one who thinks she just sounds like a potty mouthed Katy Perry.
She has got a decent voice though, and the first few tracks made me smile in a "what the fuck is this" kind of way.
Then we get a bit ballady, and I really like her voice on kaleidoscope.
I'm only one listen in, so early days, so far it's OK, but largely unremarkable.

Yeah but if you told a seventeen year old they had won the lottery and been granted eternal life and good looks they would roll their eyes and mutter how boring/sad under their breath.
I explained to my 22 year old that this was this week’s album, coming home from picking him up from work.
I was on the last song on the album anyway, when he said, can we turn this crap off and put something decent on.
I thought, hmmm! Well ok it’s the last song anyway, but what generation is this appealing to again?

I’ve already got a whole lot going on in my head about this and the expectations from Foggy’s review, but I’ll hold off and get the requisite 3 listens in before diving into the debate.

Last edited:
To do that, I'd have to pick the Stone Roses debut. I think I could even pick "Exile on Main Street" or "Who's Next" or fucking "Wish You Were Here" and those records wouldn't make it with this crowd.

I think the biggest issue is that I'm not a Manc, so while New Order is my favo(u)rite band ever and I very much like lots of other Manc bands and am even a Manco-phile on a wide variety of levels, I just wasn't there when everyone's lives were shaped by "The Queen Is Dead". The other issue is that I'm not into sit-and-listen mopery and lots of other posters here are. That's what it comes down to.
I wouldn’t worry about not being a Manc. Look at how a Scouser did last week.
You’re picking stuff you like, just stay doing that.
The joy in this will be when you get through to one of us.

Haha true, but these two have currently started showing signs of normal human behaviour ??? I think they may be alien abductee replacements.

I've got it on and it's fairly inoffensive so I doubt it'll elicit strong reactions but it might generate some interesting conversation though I'm not sure where an identity politics discussion on this thread might end up!
See my reply to Sadds.
Ditto to you and your lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.