The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

For whatever reason I think I expected something different based on Foggy's review, someone maybe a bit more feisty like a Lauren Maybury. Though she's got a better voice than Maybury a bit more attack in some places wouldn't go amiss.

First listen and my thinking is it's unremarkable but she has some talent and potential. Even though I've only listened to her debut album once so far, I think I'd be more interested in what she does next if that makes sense?

Yes she's got a bit of a potty mouth now and then but overall I was surprised with the number of more vulnerable moments there were.

I wouldn’t worry about not being a Manc. Look at how a Scouser did last week.
You’re picking stuff you like, just stay doing that.
The joy in this will be when you get through to one of us.
In order to do the last I'd have to pander.

Quite likely most of my choices in future will be more divergent from this thread's tastes in general. So far the best moment for me was @RobMCFC rapturous review of The Screaming Blue Messiahs, which then turned into a "Meh, sounds like Clash-lite except for 'Clear View' -- 6/10"-fest for most others.

I wanted a record I picked to have the same impact on the assembled masses as Bad\\Dreems or Lucinda Williams had on me, but despite many picks across many decades and many stylistic bounces, I can't seem to find one.

So I'm just going to do stuff I like and stop caring about whether anyone here likes it :).

Last edited:
I think it’s wider. There is an American/UK aspect. Neither side can fully grasp how the other have lived their lives and absorbed music over the years. We all try but it’s an impossible task. That forms our opinions of genres, bands, individuals…

Unfortunately sit and listen mopery has featured quite a bit recently albeit many have enjoyed it. I have the same reaction to American hard rock and most country. I’m sure stuff will be proposed that you like soon. It comes in waves. I even fucked off for a year because I lost interest in most of what was being put forward. I have to say now though I’m enjoying the thread more than ever.
I haven’t nominated anything for quite a while and have no desire to do so all of a sudden.
However the point you make above is pretty much why I personally have usually included a personal anecdotal aspect to, either my choice or my response to someone else’s choice. It adds context from a different upbringing or way of life that may be foreign to most in here.

None of us in here know each other. We are by definition anonymous. But the community feels safe enough to me and I have no problem being open, whether my taste is torn apart or enjoyed.
So what. It’s a debate. It’s cordial by forum standards.
And I get to listen to stuff I probably wouldn’t happen upon otherwise.

Quite likely most of my choices in future will be more divergent from this thread's tastes in general. So far the best moment for me was @RobMCFC rapturous review of The Screaming Blue Messiahs, which then turned into a "Meh, sounds like Clash-lite except for 'Clear View' -- 6/10"-fest for most others.

I wanted a record I picked to have the same impact on the assembled masses as Bad//Dreems or Lucinda Williams had on me, but despite many picks across many decades and many stylistic bounces, I can't seem to find one.

So I'm just going to do stuff I like and stop caring about whether anyone here likes it :).
That’s the spirit.

I heard they were never what they seem to be, simple, straight, lazy, late, don't come with points of view, don't do what I want them to, just twist the truth around, are living turned inside out, are getting the best of them and are nothing on the face of things.
I see what you did there

But only after I googled it.

I wanted a record I picked to have the same impact on the assembled masses as Bad\\Dreems or Lucinda Williams had on me, but despite many picks across many decades and many stylistic bounces, I can't seem to find one.

Finally!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.