The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

He explained that his generation has easy access to all music that, perhaps we didn’t.
They pick and choose surprisingly good tunes, that on reflection perhaps are not that surprising, as quality endures.
I’ve noticed the same thing with my kids. It’s so much easier to hear old music as new these days without airwave broadcast radio (or MTV) setting the pace/tempo and forcing record company schlock down your ears.

It’s safe to say that as a 60 something yo male this isn’t really music aimed at me. Randomly I saw Justin Hawkins reacting to her rant (or possibly one her rants) on TikTok at her fans who expect too much from her. She swore a lot and he seemed to respect her for that. Angry music has been done once or twice before, and I’m sure it will be done again.
Fog promised us BPM and he certainly delivered. Banal Pop Music is a no from me but I’m sure her schoolgirl audience love her for it. As we don’t do 0/10 I’ll reluctantly go 1/10. Off to listen to The Streets to cleanse my ears.
Ps - when she calms down and removes the sack of spuds off her shoulder she could just concentrate on having a half decent voice.
That’s a bit more like what I was expecting.

It’s safe to say that as a 60 something yo male this isn’t really music aimed at me. Randomly I saw Justin Hawkins reacting to her rant (or possibly one her rants) on TikTok at her fans who expect too much from her. She swore a lot and he seemed to respect her for that. Angry music has been done once or twice before, and I’m sure it will be done again.
Fog promised us BPM and he certainly delivered. Banal Pop Music is a no from me but I’m sure her schoolgirl audience love her for it. As we don’t do 0/10 I’ll reluctantly go 1/10. Off to listen to The Streets to cleanse my ears.
Ps - when she calms down and removes the sack of spuds off her shoulder she could just concentrate on having a half decent voice.

Last couple of rounds, I left it a bit late so this one I am trying to comment as I go for a change. And see what that ends up shaping into.

This is also a response prompted by you, rather than strictly To you.

While my overall take will probably differ, I think your last paragraph/Ps is probably where my first impression ended.

Unlike you, I am at times a bit of a sucker for pleasantish teengirl banal pop candyfloss. I admit to from time to time sticking on a bit of Chvrches, Haerts, and have probably heard more Taylor than I am consciously aware of. One of my more enoyable recent live gigs was a surprise band Kississipi. All of which I mention, because of their similarities to this that struck me.

Where this seems to differ, is that immediate wrestle between being purely that, i.e. an accessible pop record, and trying to be something more, edgier and deeper.

So far, I find it jarring and uncomfortable. I kind find myself hopeing it just stuck to the pop and voice. Possibly because, at this point, it feels more like she is trying something just to differentiate it from others, rather than commiting to trying to say something. Not sure. Maybe the next couple listens it will all click and that dynamic and tightrope juggle could be exactly what has drawn someone like Fog to it. Let's see.

re sexually explicit lyrics. I think it's about context and to coin a phrase, keeping it real. If it's used gratuitously I completely agree with you. If it's used in the context of a song which has a deep meaning for the artist and potentially creates a connection for those that have been through similar circumstances I think its totally valid. Take for instance my current favourite Raye's 'Ice Cream Man'

Or most of Alanis Morrisette's Jagged little pill. God that album was vicious.

in Mr Belfry's review he mentions feeling uneasy because of the age difference and an attraction to the artist. But you can be attracted to the (young female) artist for a whole heap of reasons - the quality of the music being the primary, the honesty and bravery of the performance, the messages communicated, the visual performance and yes how they look is part of that. I really don't think its something to feel creepy about.

Anyhow, I will listen to Midwest Princess today and form some opinions.

I think Raye is actually an excellent comparison here. Of what it maybe Wants to be, more than what it might be.

Last couple of rounds, I left it a bit late so this one I am trying to comment as I go for a change. And see what that ends up shaping into.

While my overall take will probably differ, I think your last paragraph/Ps is probably where my first impression ended.

Unlike you, I am at times a bit of a sucker for pleasantish teengirl banal pop candyfloss. I admit to from time to time sticking on a bit of Chvrches, Haerts, and have probably heard more Taylor than I am consciously aware of. One of my more enoyable recent live gigs was a surprise band Kississipi. All of which I mention, because of their similarities to this that struck me.

Where this seems to differ, is that immediate wrestle between being purely that, i.e. an accessible pop record, and trying to be something more, edgier and deeper.

So far, I find it jarring and uncomfortable. I kind find myself hopeing it just stuck to the pop and voice. Possibly because, at this point, it feels more like she is trying something just to differentiate it from others, rather than commiting to trying to say something. Not sure. Maybe the next couple listens it will all click and that dynamic and tightrope juggle could be exactly what has drawn someone like Fog to it. Let's see.
Hiding?

I’m more or less doing the opposite.
Rather than letting it pour out as I listen each time, I’ve decided to hold off ( mostly).
Second listen done, I’ve started taking notes, because along with others’ reviews in here, there’s a lot going on in my head, and yet nothing .
When I read my notes back, I think the confusion of my last sentence becomes evident.
I might get a third listen in on my own today.
I feel Foggy deserves that respect be given to this choice before I dive in, like I’m starting to itch towards.

Some good and quite broad discussion already. I'm liking that this pick is getting people talking to younger members of their families etc.

Going to give Foggy the benefit of the doubt that he knew all along that would be the case and actually there was never any malice aforethought in the selection!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.