The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Ha ha. This is funny because you mentioned the name "Chappell Roan" a week or so ago and it didn't register with me. I thought, is he referencing some long-lost Californian punk band I've never heard of?

Anyway, I kid you not, less than two hours later, I glance across at the screen of my 25-year old daughter who has a desk beside mine, and she's watching Chappell Roan! She says I definitely won't like it, but we'll see. It's got to be better than The Streets, The Jam and Talking Heads, right?
I've listened to the first 3 songs....better than the streets, but so is a fart!
Had to stop after 3.....sounds like an u8's disco.

Early days for me albeit I actually have heard this record before and they flog her on RAGE over here.

Reg blowing her trumpet as the next Dusty Springfield as he always does is perhaps not good news for CR does anybody remember Judie Tzuke?

Fog's intro has taken me back to the Story Teller and I would be intrigued to listen to her sing versions of I Like Beer and Watermelon Wine.

I think Faster Horses might be on Fog's hit list to really stir things up a little but for now I agree with the voice , its not your run of the mill you can pigeon hole easily and I prefer good singers with a few exceptions that you can listen to for a while at least and still wonder who the hell it is and she does this for me for sure.

Bouncy songs in the main , I actually quite like the lyrics and the subject matter , its not nearly as trite as one would assume from such a performer with the right balance of authenticity , mood and shock value.

Something though is preventing me from saying hell yeah this is what I want on my play list all the time and I haven't worked that out yet even after a couple of listens.

Just as an aside. The missus just played ‘Tilted’ by Christine and the Queens.
I believe she is now a he, by preferred pronoun, however that works.
I believe creditation has been added to early Chris and the Queens works to a new identity of Rabin C Redcar.

People can be whatever they want as long as they aren’t hurting someone else in doing so, in my book. You can have whatever sexual fantasy you want also as long as any enactment is consensual and doesn’t involve children. But I find all this choose a pronoun stuff very hard to get my head around. It’s not that I can’t take it serious, I do, but we should be afforded the same respect for our concept of reality as they demand from us.

Mind you I have her/his stuff on now and it’s actually very good.

I've had a listen now. I like the break in Femininomenon. The rest does seem very generic with added swears (down with the kids me)

It could be Perry, Rodrigo..erm...and others! (insert girl singing here)

I will say that the album really falls off after Hot To Go and resorts to a lot more generic piano type ballads. Especially after the weird and loud start.

I will give it another listen after the weekend as I'm away from tomorrow morning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.