The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Probably, we seem to have one of those for fucking everything! But I see, well if I win a pub quiz on that detail, I shall thank you instead. It was by popular vote, i.e voting in a party that promoted it and then delivered it.

Far be it for an Englishman (sort of) to poke his nose into Scottish and Irish affairs :-( but in Scotland though there was a public consultation prior to the legislation, there was never a vote. So Eamo is right the Irish were the first.

Far be it for an Englishman (sort of) to poke his nose into Scottish and Irish affairs :-( but in Scotland though there was a public consultation prior to the legislation, there was never a vote. So Eamo is right the Irish were the first.

There was imo, in 2011. But let's not ruin the thread.

Plus Brexit plus PR. But let's not ruin the thread.

The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess – Chappell Roan

After two listens, I’m going to have to call it. Not because it’s bad or I’ve had enough, but I’m off to Spain today, and I don’t want to have to type all of this out on a phone next week.

Whilst I agree with Foggy that I’m not comfortable listening to young women singing sexually explicit lyrics, I’m not convinced it’s a great thing for men or artists in general to do either. Like the best directors who can provoke emotions and convey feeling by showing just enough and cutting away at the optimum point, I think the best songwriters and performers are capable of doing the same. Still, it’s her first album and she’s trying to make a name for herself, so what better way than being outrageous?

On its upbeat numbers, the sound of the album is straight out of the 80s, which is fine; it sits alongside many other albums in that regard. It’s nothing new and it’s no better or worse for it.

One thing that this album has in common with a lot of modern artists is that on many songs, you hear the voice and a sound – what sound? I don’t always know, but some sound – more than I hear the instruments. I mean, I’m sure there are individual instruments there, but the overall sound is a digital, sanitised slurry, which is ironic given some of the lyrics. Maybe if she combined those lyrics with a razor’s edge guitar and throbbing bass even more people would sit up and take notice (but probably not the young audience she is after). To be fair, there’s some nice piano on “Kaleidoscope” and a short-lived outbreak of acoustic picking on “Guilty Pleasure” but these moments are few and far between.

I notice that @BlueHammer85 said that he might listen to a Taylor Swift album at some point. Whilst her growing legion of fans would no doubt point you to her most recent efforts, I feel they also suffer from the “digital slurry” effect in parts and instead, I’d direct you backwards to when her sound was more basic, and she had a proper band sound that combined with her brilliant bridges and choruses. As for comparison between Taylor Swift and Chappell Roan, from a purely musical standpoint there really is no comparison; different lyrical approach, different production styles – go and listen to the Fearless album and tell me that Chappell Roan is in the same league.

I enjoyed the vocals in “After Midnight”, just kooky (is that an American word?) enough without being annoying. “Coffee”, with its strings, has a different feel and it shows that she can sing and adapt her voice to different styles. Considering Foggy was desperate for some BPM, I’m surprised at how many slower songs appear on this album. Is this really an album that you’d dance to? I’d say that for more than half its running time, it’s an album that you’d sit and listen to whilst sipping a cappuccino.

When all is said and done, it’s not a bad album but there’s nothing to make me want to listen again. I’ll go for a same-as-Radiohead 5.5/10.

'Digital Slurry' is a great phrase and it might surprise you to know I have some sympathy with that view in that there's definitely a tendency towards a kind of generic AI-esque synth pop sound that's infesting a lot of pop music particularly that made by solo women performers. It's like the appropriation of aspects of 'proper' synth pop (which is still being made by the likes of Christine and the Queens or whatever their name is now and even the likes of The Midnight) but to no obvious artistic purpose other than a general accompaniment to a vocal melody.

Jack Antonoff has got a lot to answer for in that respect, not necessarily so much in the work he's done with the likes of Swift (all sane people love a bit of Oberhiem, though his refusal to set fire to his DX7's might mark him out as a wrong 'un) but more in the template that he's established for others to use and abuse.

Which leads me to this album. I don't think this is a terrible offender in the digital slurry stakes but equally I'm not hearing as much of the cleverness in the kitsch that Foggy hears. For me it's patchy and oscillates (I never get bored of that pun) between those two views. Looking at the credits there's a number of engineers on different tracks who've worked with some big pop names but I can't see anyone down as 'Producer' in the old fashioned sense. Maybe there was but it does feel a bit inconsistent and lacking some cohesion that maybe a single hand at the helm could have brought. This is no DIY effort and being signed to Island there would be no prob getting someone so I assume this was a conscious decision?? On the subject of Island, the cynical bit of me wonders if the origin/self-made story is a bit of a confection like The Last Dinner Party? Haven't had a proper read about her yet but will do at some point.

Edit: No there clearly is a producer, someone who she worked with early in her career and is famous for working with the likes of Olivia Rodrigo. So to the extent I think it's patchy, it's nothing to do with the lack of a producer.

Last edited:
If Taylor Swift had a love child with the Crazy Frog while watching the Muppets reboot..

Picking on three songs to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of this album for me....

Hot To Go - pitches it just about right I think. The retro sound is simple and fun and the Lovich lite vocals work better than a lot of Lovich's ever did. I'm a miserable git but this song made even me smile.

Pink Pony Club - I think this illustrates the point about the differences in sensibilities and sexual politics between the US and the UK and how that impacts perception of how edgy/culturally important this is. I can fully understand how the lyric is really moving in the context of the States and I'm not saying there isn't a universal theme there but (whilst we're maybe not really as progressive as we like to think we are in the UK) I don't think it has the same emotional heft here. So what you are left with is the music which is an Antonoff lite sound that could be Perry, Jepson or whoever and so it ends up sounding pretty lightweight especially in comparison to President Business who has mastered that type of sound to the point where she is spreading her musical Kragle across the entire universe.

Casual - I think this could be another example of a Swift lite effort except it's one where her more graphic lyrics make sense. The juxtaposition of the music and the type of lyric that Swift wouldn't touch with a bargepole give it a sense of authenticity and elevate it. On some tracks the lyrics seem a bit Kevin and Perry level of teenage shocking but here it works well and overall I think she's being honest for where she is now and that's probably all you can ask of an artist.

So it's a bit hit and miss for me. I originally said it was unremarkable and though I still can't quite understand why it's being raved about I do think for a debut album it has some merits. I do think she can sing and importantly communicate. There is post processing of her voice on this album but I've no reason to doubt she has a decent voice and I'm interested enough that I'll go and listen to the tiny desk concert that people have mentioned.

Apart from a couple of stand-ups I've never really got the drag scene and aesthetic, probably because as a miserable git I have a disgracefully low tolerance of extroverts of any kind but I think there's an interesting dynamic in her mask that per @Coatigan 's comment hints to a vulnerability that I think comes through at times.

Haven't decided how to score it yet but it's a really good thread pick even if Foggy has now 'fessed up to his malicious intent.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.