The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

1956 - Soul-Junk
Another new album and another new genre I had missed out on in the days of Napster and mIRC mp3 glory. I can honestly say experimental indie hip-hop was not on my BINGO card, but this has been an interesting listen.

It is indeed an artist and album that doesn't take itself too seriously. If I were to find siblings or cousins to this, Beck (closer) and even Weezer (nerd alt-rock) to a lesser degree musically would be what I've most heard. It wasn't hard to see how Sonic Youth from the 80's helped inspire this band.

Interesting that Soul-Junk has a song named "Life To False Metal" while Weezer put out Death To False Metal 10 years later of unreleased material. That song worked well for me, and had some somewhat relevant lyrics:

They may hear but they don't understand, otherwise
They might see with their eyes, hear with their ears
Understand with their hearts and turn and I would heal them

Blessed are the eyes that see
Blessed are the ears that hear
And I want to say hey yeah to the eyes that see
Hey to the ears that hear, and I'm talking about

Unlike AGDCFF, this album doesn't really have a story to it, but it does have a clearly defined theme, even if it overly relies on catchy rhymes that work when they do, and go overboard (for me) when they don't.

"K.I.N.G.D.O.M.O.G.O.D" (just try typing that fast...) also had some religious elements to it, but unless reading the lyrics, it, to a great degree, falls on deaf ears (harken back to the song prior above). With those loud noises at the end of that track, I can see how lots might be tuning this out.

I did enjoy "Eyes, Eternally" and the interesting hip-hop take on getting through the day and life itself. The music and rapping through the middle was well done.

"Monkeyflower & Yarrow" had a nice use of the harmonica, even if it was a quick instrumental.

"Judah" was probably the most accessible song with a good alt-rock sound to it, and the lyrics were mostly coherent and straightforward.

"Pumpfake" had probably the most overt criticism on organized church with these lyrical gems:
I seen what you call the church getting chubby in the waist

I'm at the place where all the fakes can just fade
I live this, that's why I see through the charade

Build cathedrals to yourselves, your own honor
Right at home in Babylon, these the pious prima donnas
Rich young rulers for priests, lawyers for scholars
But y'all can't contain my God with big books or top dollar

Verse 3 in particular well addresses getting out of the spiritual rut you might be in, and this might be a song I come back to.

The best part of "The Peacemaker" was the good use of the guitar in the background and this line: Who wanna kick mathematics? You subtraction, I'm addition

"Dry Bones" lyrically addresses the promise of the afterlife, but it more plods along musically for 5 minutes. "Sweet To My Soul" is pretty overt in its feelings on Jesus and the soul. "Red Top" finishes the album on an instrumental club dance mix. Given everything that preceded it, it felt out of place somewhat.

This is an interesting pick, and the 1950 ("a good year for rock and free jazz") album started the group on the style of album titles since. I'm just not sure why the band felt compelled to live by those self-imposed rules for subsequent albums. Whatever works for them. Given the band desired to put out an album "that people would want to puzzle over", I'd say they more than accomplished that. The music for me however hits or misses in many instances. I just checked, and I gave AGDCFF a 5/10, and this one lands the same for me. I felt I found the redeeming aspects in each, and I know where each is going to be if I need it. 5.6/10 for making me think, reflect, and pray. If the band can creatively use numbers, then so can I, and as many of you know by now, I'm into both numerical and lyrical symbolism.

Last edited:
1956 - Soul-Junk
Another new album and another new genre I had missed out on in the days of Napster and mIRC mp3 glory. I can honestly say experimental indie hip-hop was not on my BINGO card, but this has been an interesting listen.

It is indeed an artist and album that doesn't take itself too seriously. If I were to find siblings or cousins to this, Beck (closer) and even Weezer (nerd alt-rock) to a lesser degree musically would be what I've most heard. It wasn't hard to see how Sonic Youth from the 80's helped inspire this band.

Interesting that Soul-Junk has a song named "Life To False Metal" while Weezer put out Death To False Metal 10 years later of unreleased material. That song worked well for me, and had some somewhat relevant lyrics:

They may hear but they don't understand, otherwise
They might see with their eyes, hear with their ears
Understand with their hearts and turn and I would heal them

Blessed are the eyes that see
Blessed are the ears that hear
And I want to say hey yeah to the eyes that see
Hey to the ears that hear, and I'm talking about

Unlike AGDCFF, this album doesn't really have a story to it, but it does have a clearly defined theme, even if it overly relies on catchy rhymes that work when they do, and go overboard (for me) when they don't.

"K.I.N.G.D.O.M.O.G.O.D" (just try typing that fast...) also had some religious elements to it, but unless reading the lyrics, it, to a great degree, falls on deaf ears (harken back to the song prior above). With those loud noises at the end of that track, I can see how lots might be tuning this out.

I did enjoy "Eyes, Eternally" and the interesting hip-hop take on getting through the day and life itself. The music and rapping through the middle was well done.

"Monkeyflower & Yarrow" had a nice use of the harmonica, even if it was a quick instrumental.

"Judah" was probably the most accessible song with a good alt-rock sound to it, and the lyrics were mostly coherent and straightforward.

"Pumpfake" had probably the most overt criticism on organized church with these lyrical gems:
I seen what you call the church getting chubby in the waist

I'm at the place where all the fakes can just fade
I live this, that's why I see through the charade

Build cathedrals to yourselves, your own honor
Right at home in Babylon, these the pious prima donnas
Rich young rulers for priests, lawyers for scholars
But y'all can't contain my God with big books or top dollar

Verse 3 in particular well addresses getting out of the spiritual rut you might be in, and this might be a song I come back to.

The best part of "The Peacemaker" was the good use of the guitar in the background and this line: Who wanna kick mathematics? You subtraction, I'm addition

"Dry Bones" lyrically addresses the promise of the afterlife, but it more plods along for 5 minutes. "Sweet To My Soul" is pretty overt in its feelings on Jesus and the soul. "Red Top" finishes the album on an instrumental club dance mix. Given everything that preceded it, it felt out of place somewhat.

This is an interesting pick, and the 1950 ("a good year for rock and free jazz") album started the group on the style of album titles since. I'm just not sure why the band felt compelled to live by those self-imposed rules for subsequent albums. Whatever works for them. Given the band desired to put out an album "that people would want to puzzle over", I'd say they more than accomplished that. The music for me however hits or misses in many instances. I just checked, and I gave AGDCFF a 5/10, and this one lands the same for me. I felt I found the redeeming aspects in each, and I know where each is going to be if I need it. 5.6/10 for making me think, reflect, and pray. If the band can creatively use numbers, then so can I, and as many of you know by now, I'm into both numerical and lyrical symbolism.
appreciate this thank you

All your opinions are like the spatula stuck in the drawer causing it to not open correctly.

Fighting talk that. Also you need to get those annoying angled implements out of the draw and into a cylinderical container or on hooks on the wall, life changing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.