The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

CORRECT! although @OB1 got it this morning already

full nomination to follow

Ha, was just away giving him full kudos.

Sorry man, but this is going to he painful. Giving Noel's solo album a go was one thing. This will be a real push for me this week.

Last edited:
CORRECT! although @OB1 got it this morning already

full nomination to follow
@OB1 am reasonably sure this will never happen on this thread again save when we knew OKC would come when Rob did "editor's pick" but a pre-clue guess is clearly worthy of some type of special award even if it is @BlueHammer85 and he might be considered more obvious than most . . . :)

Last edited:
@OB1 already got this morning based on me saying my next pick could be a top 5 contender - so yes, predictable as always and not the most exciting pick for some who know it all so well but I mentioned on here a few weeks ago that I’ve yet to nominate my favorite ever Album so eventually had to go for it.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

1719409851132.png

One of Oasis albums that just hasn’t dated in my opinion, whereas Morning Glory, Be Here Now and all the rest have date pretty badly (Masterplan aside) – Definitely Maybe still sounds fresh today and still rocks, Liams recent tour has celebrated this Album on its 30th anniversary and it went down pretty well.

I remember hearing this as a young teen and it completely blew me away - a Southern fairy with no connection to Manchester made me all of a sudden want to wear a parka, swagger and wear shades. It led me into other Manc bands like the Roses, The Smiths, New Order etc

This will be familiar to majority but anyhow -

Rock n Roll Star – What a way to introduce yourselves, totally blows the doors off and a great opener. ‘ You're not down with who I am. Look at you now, you're all in my hands tonight ‘ . hell yeh!

Shakermaker – Yes yes they loved to nick a melody every now and then and this is the most blatant one, however it’s such a cool track – I’ll try to refrain from saying it to much but there’s so much swagger. Shake a long with me.

Live Forever – One of the greatest tracks ever in various polls and one which I nominated in last years Bluemoon Cup also deserves more recognition than Wonderwall or Back In Anger as a pinnacle Oasis track in the wider world – It’s such a uplifting song, great lyrics and one of their finest solos and outros. Also Love Noels acoustic version – if you’ve seen the documentary film ‘Supersonic’ the moment he plays this really hits the spot.

Up In The Sky – underated, great energy and awesome track.

Columbia – repeating the above, but Columbia really is a underrated track – I love Oasis when it feels they’ve got about 5 guitars all thrashing away creating a energy of sound in the background when really like most of their stuff it’s just a basic 3 chord song. It’s one of the most raw sounding rock tracks they’ve done and would be in my top 3.

Supersonic – God dam, running out of superlatives. Just put that footie kit on, grab a beer and be back in the 90’s again. Play it loud. Lyrically one of their best ever.

Bring It On Down – Still no slowing down, so much energy.
‘You're the outcast, you're the underclass But you don't care, because you're living fast.’

Cigarettes & Alcohol – Another classic Oasis Rock n Roll song and peak Gallagher ‘sunshiiiiiiine’ with a sex pistols vibe.

Digsy’s Dinner – finally, a track I can’t rave about. A throwaway one and a welcome breather.

Slide Away – Well, It’s my favorite song ever. Nothing comes close. Vocally Liams best – so much passion and heartfelt lyrics. If you asked Oasis obsessed fans like myself what there favorite ever Oasis track is, this would usually take the top spot.

Married With Children – The only other throwaway one with a bit of humour. Totally stripped back and a nice way to see the album out but nothing special at all.

Last edited:
@OB1 already got this morning based on me saying my next pick could be a top 5 contender - so yes, predictable as always and not the most exciting pick for some who know it all so well but I mentioned on here a few weeks ago that I’ve yet to nominate my favorite ever Album so eventually had to go for it.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

View attachment 123477

One of Oasis albums that just hasn’t dated in my opinion, whereas Morning Glory, Be Here Now and all the rest have date pretty badly (Masterplan aside) – Definitely Maybe still sounds fresh today and still rocks, Liams recent tour has celebrated this Album on its 30th anniversary and it went down pretty well.

I remember hearing this as a young teen and it completely blew me away - a Southern fairy with no connection to Manchester made me all of a sudden want to wear a parka, swagger and wear shades. It led me into other Manc bands like the Roses, The Smiths, New Order etc

This will be familiar to majority but anyhow -

Rock n Roll Star – What a way to introduce yourselves, totally blows the doors off and a great opener. ‘ You're not down with who I am. Look at you now, you're all in my hands tonight ‘ . hell yeh!

Shakermaker – Yes yes they loved to nick a melody every now and then and this is the most blatant one, however it’s such a cool track – I’ll try to refrain from saying it to much but there’s so much swagger.

Live Forever – One of the greatest tracks ever in various polls and one which I nominated in last years Bluemoon Cup also deserves more recognition than Wonderwall or Back In Anger as a pinnacle Oasis track in the wider world – It’s such a uplifting song, great lyrics and one of their finest solos and outros. Also Love Noels acoustic version – if you’ve seen the documentary film ‘Supersonic’ the moment he plays this really hits the spot.

Up In The Sky – underated, great energy and awesome track.

Columbia – feel like repeating the above, but Columbia really is a underrated track – I love Oasis when it feels they’ve got about 5 guitars all thrashing away creating a energy of sound in the background when really like most of their stuff it’s just a basic 3 chord song. It’s one of the most raw sounding rock tracks they’ve done and would be in my top 3.

Supersonic – God dam, running out of superlatives. Just put that footie kit on, grab a beer and be back in the 90’s again. Play it loud. Lyrically one of their best ever.

Bring It On Down – Still no slowing down, so much energy.
‘You're the outcast, you're the underclass But you don't care, because you're living fast.’

Cigarettes & Alcohol – Another classic Oasis Rock n Roll song and peak Gallagher ‘sunshiiiiiiine’ with a sex pistols vibe.

Digsy’s Dinner – finally, a track I can’t rave about. A throwaway one and a welcome breather.

Slide Away – Well, It’s my favorite song ever. Nothing comes close. Vocally Liams best – so much passion and heartfelt lyrics. If you asked Oasis obsessed fans like myself what there favorite ever Oasis track is, this would usually take the top spot.

Married With Children – The only other throwaway one with a bit of humour. Totally stripped back and a nice way to see the album out but nothing special at all.
Great nomination. If it's your favourite album of all time, then you absolutely should nominate it, regardless of whether it's well known or an unsung gem.

I look forward to reading the reactions to this - and my fingers probably will be smoking trying to keep up with all the scores coming in!

On my All Mod Cons pick.
Thanks for all the replies.
Even though I have always rated The Jam,Style Council and Paul Weller's solo stuff for some reason I thought that AMC would not be liked as much on here.
Always got the impression that Paul was a bit meh on this forum.Glad to be proved wrong and delighted with the high average score.
Some cracking debate as always,,might even try a Kinks album in the coming weeks.

Ah the soundtrack for thousands of young lads and lasses during the nineties. I'll never forget Liam monkey walking across the pitch giving it the big one to the 200 Portsmouth fans at a night game at Maine Road. Sure there was like a team photo in the following weeks NME and Billy Duffy was in it as well. Only saw them once just before they went big in Brighton. Me and the missus went down for the weekend and had one of those kit pendants in the back of the car and people were waving and beeping their horns on the motorway down. Made you think you were part of something special and of course they were big blues. Agree with bluehammer on the weaker tracks. Put Acquiesce and Masterplan on there and it's a very good record. It's endured because even though I've never played it to my lad him and his mates would know most of the songs and he's a dance and hip hop fan mostly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.