The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Apparently you missed two reviews over the weekend that came in at exactly or 0.5 within your score, so there is that on the plus side too.

I realize all the talk of kitchen utensils, repetition (and if I mention that am I actually being repetitive?), and fish or sausage or the like possibly had it all drowned out, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Kinda like Brentford might have won had City not had the big guy, but I can assure you, all were there. ;-)
True I only skimmed a few reviews and got the jist, so apologies!

I'll start off by giving this an 8. Convention dictates, that the score should be left till the end. I should say some nice basic things about it or point out bits I liked, then say a bit about myself, then say some bad things about it or what I didn't like, then some more about me, then finish off with some positives. All the while keeping you 'in suspense' which way I'd swing with the score. Or something like that. Well, I'm not feeling particularly conventiontastic today, and it is not a conventional album, and I also think the score hardly matters here, so, I'm flipping it.

Also feel this is not a middle ground album and can't be given anything between a 4 and a 6, so I am left with 1-3 or 7-10. It is not a 1-3, not for me. I sometimes score the experience of listening to an album, as much as the album itself. I can't detach the two, and am not a music critic to be able to apply measurable criteria to it.

Now that we have got that out the way, can talk about the album itself.

It is an album that reaffirms quite a few of my musical convictions. One of those being, as I have often mentioned before, that we don't persist with music enough, today. Maybe even as little as a decade ago, I would have bought albums by artists I already like or others I want to explore, and would have commited to them. And would have, in most cases, ended up liking them, at some point. Often, the longer it took, the more it would stick with me. Now reactions need to be much more instant, things are easier to skip, plenty else to move onto. So, I persisted with this one.

It sounds almost amateur, like a long lost demo tape or something. The voice isn't great, the rap is a bit wobbly. Thought it was maybe the youtube version recording, but going through some of their albums on spotify, it is not alone. That is really my biggest gripe with it. Maybe 20 years ago I would have found that 'cool', like unearthing some yet to be fulfilled secret. But it is 2024, shit is accessible, can be improved remastered even rerecorded. It nearly got a 3 and ended up in the bin, one listen in. Being on youtube already created a barrier as I couldn't listen to it in my normal routines. But, persist, that's what I say, so I did.

And after a couple listens, I stopped noticing that. There are some good beats, melodies and mixes, and it is far more mature, than the sound suggests. And free from formula too, a boldness to it and a bit of nae fucks given, which I always love.

Another one of my pet convictions. We compare shit to other shit way too much. I often have this with my mates. I stick something on, and within minutes, it is a case of, sounds a bit like, ooh I'm getting a bit of, there is an aftertaste of etc. It's not a fucking wine tasting ffs, just listen to it you fud. The thing is, I do it too. Like a lovechild of such and such, reminds me of, etc etc. And with this one, it just kept coming. And coming. It is incredible how many I could list. A fair few later ones too. What made it interesting, each song was a different association trigger. Cypress Hill, to Outcast, fucking n'dubz or something, Dog Eat Dog, early Brand New at times, one even went Rolling Stonesy. Maybe it makes generic, broadbrush, unoriginal. Maybe makes it rich, ahead of its time. Don't know, don't care, I found it interesting.

Final (notable) conviction, worth mentioning. Repetition. In fairness, belfry has covered this better already in response to my earlier post. I have always been drawn to repetition. The riffs of 'desert rock', the bass in this, the beat in that, lyrics here, melodies there. And this had that in bucketloads, where you can fall into a comfortable place, be it to work to, run to, wash dishes to or just be all zen to.

So there I have it. Musically, no particular standouts or hits, no particular 'impressive' individual performance, or emotional reaction tugging spells. Yet as a whole, prompts quite a bit of thought, a bit of self exploration, musing, social commentary. And mostly, a level of comfort or reassurance. Maybe one day someone will remaster it and clean the sound up. If not, been one enjoyable week.

I'll start off by giving this an 8. Convention dictates, that the score should be left till the end. I should say some nice basic things about it or point out bits I liked, then say a bit about myself, then say some bad things about it or what I didn't like, then some more about me, then finish off with some positives. All the while keeping you 'in suspense' which way I'd swing with the score. Or something like that. Well, I'm not feeling particularly conventiontastic today, and it is not a conventional album, and I also think the score hardly matters here, so, I'm flipping it.

Also feel this is not a middle ground album and can't be given anything between a 4 and a 6, so I am left with 1-3 or 7-10. It is not a 1-3, not for me. I sometimes score the experience of listening to an album, as much as the album itself. I can't detach the two, and am not a music critic to be able to apply measurable criteria to it.

It is an album that reaffirms quite a few of my musical convictions. One of those being, as I have often mentioned before, that we don't persist with music enough, today. Maybe even as little as a decade ago, I would have bought albums by artists I already like or others I want to explore, and would have commited to them. And would have, in most cases, ended up liking them, at some point. Often, the longer it took, the more it would stick with me. Now reactions need to be much more instant, things are easier to skip, plenty else to move onto. So, I persisted with this one.

It sounds almost amateur, like a long lost demo tape or something. The voice isn't great, the rap is a bit wobbly. Thought it was maybe the youtube version recording, but going through some of their albums on spotify, it is not alone. That is really my biggest gripe with it. Maybe 20 years ago I would have found that 'cool', like unearthing some yet to be fulfilled secret. But it is 2024, shit is accessible, can be improved remastered even rerecorded. It nearly got a 3 and ended up in the bin, one listen in. Being on youtube already created a barrier as I couldn't listen to it in my normal routines. But, persist, that's what I say, so I did.

And after a couple listens, I stopped noticing that. There are some good beats, melodies and mixes, and it is far more mature, than the sound suggests. And free from formula too, a boldness to it and a bit of nae fucks given, which I always love.

Another one of my pet convictions. We compare shit to other shit way too much. I often have this with my mates. I stick something on, and within minutes, it is a case of, sounds a bit like, ooh I'm getting a bit of, there is an aftertaste of etc. It's not a fucking wine tasting ffs, just listen to it you fud. The thing is, I do it too. Like a lovechild of such and such, reminds me of, etc etc. And with this one, it just kept coming. And coming. It is incredible how many I could list. A fair few later ones too. What made it interesting, each song was a different association trigger. Cypress Hill, to Outcast, fucking n'dubz or something, Dog Eat Dog, early Brand New at times, one even went Rolling Stonesy. Maybe it makes generic, broadbrush, unoriginal. Maybe makes it rich, ahead of its time. Don't know, don't care, I found it interesting.

Final (notable) conviction, worth mentioning. Repetition. In fairness, belfry has covered this better already in response to my earlier post. I have always been drawn to repetition. The riffs of 'desert rock', the bass in this, the beat in that, lyrics here, melodies there. And this had that in bucketloads, where you can fall into a comfortable place, be it to work to, run to, wash dishes to or just be all zen to.

So there I have it. Musically, no particular standouts or hits, no particular 'impressive' individual performance, or emotional reaction tugging spells. Yet as a whole, prompts quite a bit of thought, a bit of self exploration, musing, social commentary. And mostly, a level of comfort or reassurance. Maybe one day someone will remaster it and clean the sound up. If not, been one enjoyable week.
Thoughtful and interesting review, as usual!

I love you

Soul-Junk / 1956

Unfortunately been away most of the week and YouTube is just unviable for me to listen to, however got a couple of brief listens in today and I hate the fact I’m reviewing this after only a couple of short listens , however - firstly was quite surprised it was a relatively new fresh sounding hip hop/soul band - given the nomination i feared it would be some weird 70’s stuff. So that was quite a nice suprise and also possibly the closest to hip hop/rap we’ve had so far?

Plenty of quirky sounds, electro beats, I liked the ‘Ill-m-I’ track, found it catchy and a good upbeat vibe.
‘3po Soul’ had some chemical brothers sounds - especially the outro.
‘Judah’ was more a Pop Punk Offspring/Good Charlotte track.
‘Pumpfake’ - I enjoyed the strings and violin to go with the rap beat.

Whilst this all felt very disjointed and lyrically not something I could resonate with - I did appreciate the scratching sounds, loops and pyschdelic moments albeit there was just too many jazzy numbers that felt skippable after a couple minutes.

Shame to only give this a brief listen but a good pick for something totally different and throwing us some new sounds.

4/10

Soul-Junk / 1956

Unfortunately been away most of the week and YouTube is just unviable for me to listen to, however got a couple of brief listens in today and I hate the fact I’m reviewing this after only a couple of short listens , however - firstly was quite surprised it was a relatively new fresh sounding hip hop/soul band - given the nomination i feared it would be some weird 70’s stuff. So that was quite a nice suprise and also possibly the closest to hip hop/rap we’ve had so far?

Plenty of quirky sounds, electro beats, I liked the ‘Ill-m-I’ track, found it catchy and a good upbeat vibe.
‘3po Soul’ had some chemical brothers sounds - especially the outro.
‘Judah’ was more a Pop Punk Offspring/Good Charlotte track.
‘Pumpfake’ - I enjoyed the strings and violin to go with the rap beat.

Whilst this all felt very disjointed and lyrically not something I could resonate with - I did appreciate the scratching sounds, loops and pyschdelic moments albeit there was just too many jazzy numbers that felt skippable after a couple minutes.

Shame to only give this a brief listen but a good pick for something totally different and throwing us some new sounds.

4/10
I forgot to mention 3po Soul in my review which I also enjoyed.

Ok, I got through my second listen.
I have to say it disappointed after a quite encouraging start.
Where to start.
There is definitely promise there, but it never gets beyond sounding like a demo tape with a jumble of ideas thrown in, not an actual album of any cohesion.
I liked song 2, the iluminati one, but I rapidly grew irritated with the guys voice after that. I wasn’t sure why as I was kind of thinking with better production, his voice could be brought to the fore like Beck and made far more interesting on several tracks.
I found it very samey for most of the ‘album?’, but there were highlights, although too few and far between. I think it was around song 7 & 8 or so, that I got some sort of interest back.
There was one featuring some dj 3rd Rail or some such, that I thought could have something, but it struck me what I really don’t like about this amateurish production. It’s the singers doubletracking of his voice. It’s very irritating listening to it on every song like that. It makes it very unclear.

Then I suppose you have to address the subject matter. The little I could make out, didn’t real hold any interest for me. I don really want to be preached to and to be honest, I think this rap style comes across as totally put on and not suited to the genre at all. That may well be my own bias, but I just didn’t get it at all.

All of that sounds very negative and tbh again, I’m struggling this week, to find the time on my own to listen to this. I’ve gone from being quite enthusiastically looking forward to my second listen, to really wondering if a third listen is on the cards at all.

My current thinking is a 4 for effort and individuality which is very much let down by production and what seems to be a lack of a coherent idea of where it wants to go. It’s a demo tape.
I’ll give it an extra mark however again for bravery of choice from Mr.B.

I’ll try my best to get a third listen in.

Last edited:
Ok, I got through my second listen.
I have to say it disappointed after a quite encouraging start.
Where to start.
There is definitely promise there, but it never gets beyond sounding like a demo tape with a jumble of ideas thrown in, not an actual album of any cohesion.
I liked song 2, the iluminati one, but I rapidly grew irritated with the guys voice after that. I wasn’t sure why as I was kind of thinking with better production, his voice could be brought to the fore like Beck and made far more interesting on several tracks.
I found it very samey for most of the ‘album?’, but there were highlights, although too few and far between. I think it was around song 7 & 8 or so, that I got some sort of interest back.
There was one featuring some dj 3rd Rail or some such, that I thought could have something, but it struck me what I really don’t like about this amateurish production. It’s the singers doubletracking of his voice. It’s very irritating listening to it on every song like that. It makes it very unclear.

Then I suppose you have to address the subject matter. The little I could make out, didn’t real hold any interest for me. I don really want to be preached to and to be honest, I think this rap style comes across as totally put on and not suited to the genre at all. That may well be my own bias, but I just didn’t get it at all.

All of that sounds very negative and tbh again, I’m struggling this week, to find the time on my own to listen to this. I’ve gone from being quite enthusiastically looking forward to my second listen, to really wondering if a third listen is on the cards at all.

My current thinking is a 4 for effort and individuality which is very much let down by production and what seems to be a lack of a coherent idea of where it wants to go. It’s a demo tape.
I’ll give it an extra mark however again for bravery of choice from Mr.B.

I’ll try my best to get a third listen in.
I think this is probably the toughest thing to like that I like so I came in hot with this one. People have definitely put in the effort which Im thankful for. Every subsequent pick will be more vanilla.

There is a big album missing off the list on the first page. I'm not sure if it's too obvious to have been picked or if I'm just over rating it but I may just nominate that to get it on the list.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.