The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I'm fairly sure that the album will be new to most people even though is 25 years old so has that in its favour. It's also not on Spotify which so people may not bother with it.
Well, since I've been here, we've listened to both Pacific Street by The Pale Fountains and People on Sunday by Domenique Dumont via a YouTube link, and I seem to recall we made it through just fine.

I actually appreciated some of the footage from People on Sunday which added to my overall perception of the album. I probably would have been lost without it. I will still admit being a bit bewildered by the park horseplay I witnessed during that one song, but my therapist assures me it will subside over time.

So yeah, hit us with your best shot, even if 25 years old. There Is Nothing Left To Lose.

Last edited:
So yeah, hit us with you best shot, even if 25 years old. There Is Nothing Left To Lose.

You remind me of a bloke I used to work with. We'd be about to go into an important client meeting or sales meeting and he'd announce (or sometimes not) what type of thing he would be randomly inserting into the conversation today. It would sometimes be albums or song titles or individual lyrics or occasionally something random like household appliances. He once went into a explanation of a complementary but actually non existent piece of software simply to get the word "hoover" into the conversation. Bit of a nightmare really (him not you!). He only ever got rumbled once from what I remember.

Last edited:
You remind me of a bloke I used to work with. We'd be about to go into an important client meeting or sales meeting and he'd announce (or sometimes not) what type of thing he would be randomly inserting into the conversation today. It would sometimes be albums or song titles or individual lyrics or occasionally something random like household appliances. He once went into a explanation of a complementary but actually non existent piece of simply to get the word "hoover" into the conversation. Bit of a nightmare really (him not you!). He only ever got rumbled once from what I remember.
Was he one of those "annoying Yanks" you had to put up with that you've told us about? ;-)

The difference with me is I'm very spurt of the moment. I don't EVER have something pre-planned to insert into the conversation, but I like to be quick on my feet and always take the opportunity for a swing, especially when a softball is put right over the plate.

When the customer "gets it" and only a few people are smiling and the rest didn't even realize that something even happened, those are the true gems. I've been getting a lot of JOY out of using that word these days, and I'm at the point in my career, to borrow Phil Collins, where "I don't care anymore".

In this case, I took a sneak peak to get ahead of Coatigan and the potential clues, and I simply couldn't resist throwing in something it obviously isn't.

Was he one of those "annoying Yanks" you had to put up with that you've told us about? ;-)

The difference with me is I'm very spurt of the moment. I don't EVER have something pre-planned to insert into the conversation, but I like to be quick on my feet and always take the opportunity for a swing, especially when a softball is put right over the plate.

When the customer "gets it" and only a few people are smiling and the rest didn't even realize that something even happened, those are the true gems. I've been getting a lot of JOY out of using that word these days, and I'm at the point in my career, to borrow Phil Collins, where "I don't care anymore".

In this case, I took a sneak peak to get ahead of Coatigan and the potential clues, and I simply couldn't resist throwing in something it obviously isn't.

No he was a UK colleague. The one time he got caught out was by a customer who was obviously a fan of The Jam.

I can honestly say I didn't have a single 'annoying yank' in my team, they were all a pleasure to work with. At one level they were quite diverse in that they were from across many states so it would be be much more likely they'd be winding each other up than me! Possibly against perceived stereotype, my Canadian colleagues were generally higher maintenance types.

Last edited:
You remind me of a bloke I used to work with. We'd be about to go into an important client meeting or sales meeting and he'd announce (or sometimes not) what type of thing he would be randomly inserting into the conversation today. It would sometimes be albums or song titles or individual lyrics or occasionally something random like household appliances. He once went into a explanation of a complementary but actually non existent piece of simply to get the word "hoover" into the conversation. Bit of a nightmare really (him not you!). He only ever got rumbled once from what I remember.
Used to be fairly common practice for us as student nurses to set a challenge to slip a particular word into a handover. This did not affect patient safety or dignity I might add

Used to be fairly common practice for us as student nurses to set a challenge to slip a particular word into a handover. This did not affect patient safety or dignity I might add

I think a lot of it goes on but this guy was a nightmare, multiple lines from the same album etc. For most of us, the cognitive workload in doing it would have left us unable to perform the task at hand but he was annoyingly sharp. In hindsight I wondered if he actually did it to keep his mind from racing.

I think a lot of it goes on but this guy was a nightmare, multiple lines from the same album etc. For most of us, the cognitive workload in doing it would have left us unable to perform the task at hand but he was annoyingly sharp. In hindsight I wondered if he actually did it to keep his mind from racing.
Yes I think there's a bit of a difference between shoehoring the odd word in and those who quote whole lines from Monty Python or whatever and expect others to be on the same page.

Genuinely can't decide if I should put up the album that means most to me or one I think might be enjoyed by others more.
You’ll never please all the people all of the time , so go with the one dearest to you.
If it’s on YT that’s fine,especially if there’s banjo on it.

Not sure how helpful this thread is...Mrs Spires has just walked in and asked what on earth are you doing? I've had to answer "listening to banjos put through different effects pedals", it would be fair to say she looked underwhemed.

On the plus side turns out that dub banjo is, as our friends across the water say, awesome.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.