The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I did wonder about Copperhead Road for a nomination but I assumed lots of people would be very familiar and it would be nice to do someone less well known. I also wanted to steer more towards country rather than that broader sense of americana. Copperhead Road probably has the same issue as this album in that lots of people feel the first five tracks are great and then it's a mixed bag whereas I think it's decent pretty much all the way through. Actually thinking about it, the album he did with Shawn Colvin would probably prompt some discussion and get two for the price of one.
Copperhead Road is certainly my favourite and all of those first 5 tracks are brilliant. I can still remember hearing the title track for the first time and sitting there with my jaw hanging open. I don’t think any other song has had such an impact on first listen.

When I was at the Walt Disney World Port Orleans resort a few years ago, there were a couple of guys who played in the bar there and took requests. I asked them to play Copperhead Road and they did a great version.

When they heard my voice, they said “You’re not from round here, are you?”!!!

Copperhead Road is certainly my favourite and all of those first 5 tracks are brilliant. I can still remember hearing the title track for the first time and sitting there with my jaw hanging open. I don’t think any other song has had such an impact on first listen.

When I was at the Walt Disney World Port Orleans resort a few years ago, there were a couple of guys who played in the bar there and took requests. I asked them to play Copperhead Road and they did a great version.

When they heard my voice, they said “You’re not from round here, are you?”!!!

Talking of this type of music and holidays, I've never been able to make my mind up if one of these Outlaw Country Cruises would be absolutely brilliant our totally awful. On the one hand 6 days of nothing but high quality music and some of the line ups and collaborations are incredible. But on the other hand "Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris will be starting in the Queen of the Ocean Ballroom" in 15 minutes just doesn't seem right and I'm not sure being with hundreds of Stetson wearing Americans on a vehicle you can't get off is that good an idea :-)

Talking of this type of music and holidays, I've never been able to make my mind up if one of these Outlaw Country Cruises would be absolutely brilliant our totally awful. On the one hand 6 days of nothing but high quality music and some of the line ups and collaborations are incredible. But on the other hand "Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris will be starting in the Queen of the Ocean Ballroom" in 15 minutes just doesn't seem right and I'm not sure being with hundreds of Stetson wearing Americans on a vehicle you can't get off is that good an idea :-)
My wife would get seasick on the boating lake at Heaton Park so it’s a non-starter for me. The music would be great though.

Good stuff. Yes, when @mancity111 mentioned her 26 year career I winced a bit at where the time has gone. I first saw her when she was touring the Hardest Part and I was lucky enough to see her perform No Next Time with Lonesome Bob (I say that but I'm not 100%sure, he was never actually introduced but he looked like him and he certainly sounded like him). She's really good live but has spent a decent chunk of her working life as a support act for less talented blokes (i'm excluding Earle from that). Given her son's challenges I suspect there's little to no chance of her touring here again anytime soon which is understandable but a shame. Kenny Greenberg I like a lot, he reminds me of some kind of Nashville version of Stanley Tucci. His Rig Rundown video on YT is really fun if you are into that kind of stuff.

Are you going to give it a score out of ten, to help repel the heathens who are going to rock up in a while with their scores? :-)
8/10 should hopefully spite the naysayers!

Last edited:
So owning most of Mellencamp's catalogue, Copperhead Road and a liking for a bit of Hayseed Dixie, I dont know why I have this huge issue with C&W or country in general. As someone else mentioned, I also seem to have an issue in general with not being a fan of female singers . Which meant that I wasnt really looking forward to this selection.

Dropping the son down to Dublin Airport very early Saturday morning allowed for a couple of uniterrupted listens which gave me my overall view of this, but ended up with me switching back to my "Dictatorland" audiobook by the time I was heading back towards Monaghan town.

Another couple of listens at home have made me feel overall disappointed with this weeks choice. It started so well with "Like It Used To Be". Echoes of Lonesome Jublilee and Copperhead Road with the mandolin and its big sound. I think "Thunderstorm/Hurricane" has been unanimously praised on here and I simply echo that with it being the best of the album, with me getting reminders of Adele/Skyfall and Chris Cornell/You Know My Name.

"I Lost My Crystal Ball" had more country rock/big sound and took me back to Lonesome Jubilee again. Whereas Rob mentions the 5 tracks on Copperhead Road, I'm afraid that I go to this point and found it started to simply sound like a "nice" album, punch and enjoyment slowly diminishing. All nice enough but nothing that grabbed me like the first few tracks did and slowly going more and more "country". until I got to "Mama Let The Wolf In", where I just pictured good ole boys line dancing....and then slowly the tracks just washed over me.

Alas it started so promisingly, something new, certainly made me listen to something that I dont think I would ever have found. So once again a thank you for that......but in the end the Derry jury give it a 6

My wife would get seasick on the boating lake at Heaton Park so it’s a non-starter for me. The music would be great though.

Oh I wasn't thinking of going with Mrs Spires! Ignoring the sea legs, I'm pretty sure she'd describe it as her idea of a living hell.

So owning most of Mellencamp's catalogue, Copperhead Road and a liking for a bit of Hayseed Dixie, I dont know why I have this huge issue with C&W or country in general. As someone else mentioned, I also seem to have an issue in general with not being a fan of female singers . Which meant that I wasnt really looking forward to this selection.

Dropping the son down to Dublin Airport very early Saturday morning allowed for a couple of uniterrupted listens which gave me my overall view of this, but ended up with me switching back to my "Dictatorland" audiobook by the time I was heading back towards Monaghan town.

Another couple of listens at home have made me feel overall disappointed with this weeks choice. It started so well with "Like It Used To Be". Echoes of Lonesome Jublilee and Copperhead Road with the mandolin and its big sound. I think "Thunderstorm/Hurricane" has been unanimously praised on here and I simply echo that with it being the best of the album, with me getting reminders of Adele/Skyfall and Chris Cornell/You Know My Name.

"I Lost My Crystal Ball" had more country rock/big sound and took me back to Lonesome Jubilee again. Whereas Rob mentions the 5 tracks on Copperhead Road, I'm afraid that I go to this point and found it started to simply sound like a "nice" album, punch and enjoyment slowly diminishing. All nice enough but nothing that grabbed me like the first few tracks did and slowly going more and more "country". until I got to "Mama Let The Wolf In", where I just pictured good ole boys line dancing....and then slowly the tracks just washed over me.

Alas it started so promisingly, something new, certainly made me listen to something that I dont think I would ever have found. So once again a thank you for that......but in the end the Derry jury give it a 6

What's wrong with you lot and women singers? Y'all need to get in touch with your feminine side :-)

Might have to nominate Sarah McLachlan next time to help you all in this :-) (and probably get a permaban in the process).

Last edited:
Down to believing

This is exactly my side of country, no hats, line dancing ,not much twang and nobody’s ddied.As I always mention I’m not a big fan of female singers but I do have a few exceptions and now Ms Moorer is one of them.The album reminds me both musically and vocally of Shawn Calvin’s ‘A few Small Repairs’ which is a favourite of mine though lyrically I think this is better, not surprising given AM’s background.
I like the production and AM’s voice so that’s a good start, the opener is possibly a bit too commercial but then we get ‘Thunderstorm/Hurricane’ ‘I lost my Crystal Ball’ and my personal favourite’Down to Believing’. Other standouts were ‘Blood’ and ‘Gonna Get it Wrong’.

I’ve given this album a lot more than the requisite number of spins because I’ve really enjoyed it, I’ve had a quick listen to ‘Blood’ but think this album is more accessible and a bit less country.

Great choice @threespires

8/10

And it’s been a really good strong run of Albums

If I could only muster consistent 4-6 for all these variety of Albums then I’d probably think maybe Music isn’t for me.
Ha! Not sure a man who likes David Gray is in any position to lecture...

I have a balanced scoring system. 5 is average. So a 4 is just below average. 6 just above. For an album to get higher then there really has to be more than a couple of standout tracks. Something, like Hurricane, that makes me sit up and notice.

This album, like others, is nice enough, but the world is full of nice. I don't do nice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.