The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I didn’t say it didn’t deserve credit. I love that record. But it’s ONE RECORD. FFS, even Nirvana did two that mattered.

Also, while I am a Mancophile and I love you all, Manchester is not the be all/end all of the UK writ large. The Stone Roses influenced a fairly narrow subgenre of music that was important to you all, I get it. But, say, The Clash or The Stones influenced HUNDREDS of bands worldwide, and still do, not to mention were talented and prolific enough to churn out several great records each, not one.

Think of how spoiled you are as Brits for choice in such an exercise. You have arguably the five most important rock and roll bands ever for STARTERS — Beatles, Stones, LZ, Who, Pink Floyd. And look at all — dozens — you’ve excluded from that list. And then to pick the Roses over any of those five or all the rest?

As you know I believe some musical perspectives are more objective than subjective and picking Stone Roses is at least partially an objectively bad choice. Or better put — anyone who has hasn’t listened to enough music.

Now if you want to argue the RECORD is a top five ever British record, I’d still disagree but that’s far more understandable, Manc or no.
Maybe it is a UK thing but the Roses are probably the most influential band of the last 35 years though. Anyone around the indie genre will be influenced by them. It might only be one record but for many people that's all that was needed. It's not one of the top 5 UK albums ever as like you say there's a lot better but in recent times I can't think of another with the same impact. That album (with the Mondayd and Hacienda) kick started a cultural movement which took Manchester from being a drab post industrial city into the place it is today

I didn’t say it didn’t deserve credit. I love that record. But it’s ONE RECORD. FFS, even Nirvana did two that mattered.

Also, while I am a Mancophile and I love you all, Manchester is not the be all/end all of the UK writ large. The Stone Roses influenced a fairly narrow subgenre of music that was important to you all, I get it. But, say, The Clash or The Stones influenced HUNDREDS of bands worldwide, and still do, not to mention were talented and prolific enough to churn out several great records each, not one.

Think of how spoiled you are as Brits for choice in such an exercise. You have arguably the five most important rock and roll bands ever for STARTERS — Beatles, Stones, LZ, Who, Pink Floyd. And look at all — dozens — you’ve excluded from that list. And then to pick the Roses over any of those five or all the rest?

As you know I believe some musical perspectives are more objective than subjective and picking Stone Roses is at least partially an objectively bad choice. Or better put — anyone who has hasn’t listened to enough music.

Now if you want to argue the RECORD is a top five ever British record, I’d still disagree but that’s far more understandable, Manc or no.
Well said, apart from spoiling it at the end by allowing for even the remotest possibility that their very average debut album could possibly be even considered in the top 5.

It might mean a lot to people who liked it at the time, but at that stage in their life, as you say, they won't have listened to too much music. More than 30 years later, if somebody still thinks it's in the top 5 British albums ever, then they still haven't listened to enough music.

Listening on the tram on the way to the Etihad. Feel like I'm in a movie. Not the movie I think the album wants me to be in though

Your life is a movie you say..

Like Jurassic Park or Armageddon?

(no need to respond, it is not aimed at you ;).

Maybe it is a UK thing but the Roses are probably the most influential band of the last 35 years though. Anyone around the indie genre will be influenced by them. It might only be one record but for many people that's all that was needed. It's not one of the top 5 UK albums ever as like you say there's a lot better but in recent times I can't think of another with the same impact. That album (with the Mondayd and Hacienda) kick started a cultural movement which took Manchester from being a drab post industrial city into the place it is today
One way to find out how influential and good they are on Bluemoon.
Nominate them on this thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.