The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Down to believing

This is exactly my side of country, no hats, line dancing ,not much twang and nobody’s ddied.As I always mention I’m not a big fan of female singers but I do have a few exceptions and now Ms Moorer is one of them.The album reminds me both musically and vocally of Shawn Calvin’s ‘A few Small Repairs’ which is a favourite of mine though lyrically I think this is better, not surprising given AM’s background.
I like the production and AM’s voice so that’s a good start, the opener is possibly a bit too commercial but then we get ‘Thunderstorm/Hurricane’ ‘I lost my Crystal Ball’ and my personal favourite’Down to Believing’. Other standouts were ‘Blood’ and ‘Gonna Get it Wrong’.
I’ve given this album a lot more than the requisite number of spins because I’ve really enjoyed it, I’ve had a quick listen to ‘Blood’ but think this album is more accessible and a bit less country.

Great choice @threespires

8/10

A Few Small Repairs is a great album. Sunny Came Home is really up there in terms of how to open an album. Saw her donkeys years ago with Mary Chapin Carpenter on one of their many outings together.

Ha! Not sure a man who likes David Gray is in any position to lecture...

I have a balanced scoring system. 5 is average. So a 4 is just below average. 6 just above. For an album to get higher then there really has to be more than a couple of standout tracks. Something, like Hurricane, that makes me sit up and notice.

This album, like others, is nice enough, but the world is full of nice. I don't do nice.
I’m kind of with you on the “nice” here, though “Hurricane” wasn’t my favo(u)rite. The lyrics gradually move from banal to intense as the record goes on and the metaphors become darker (and are barely metaphors) and less cliched too, as if we’re going through a journey with Allison into a very dark place — I mean arguably as dark as it can get for a child human, forgetting even her divorce from (noted douchebag?) Steve Earle. Even so, there’s an awful lot of cliched imagery here especially early on up until “Wish I.” I really struggled with this for awhile but finally decided I couldn’t let her limitations in relative expression of her pain be something to criticiz(s)e. Maybe she meant it as reflective of her hesitancy to open up. The fact that she’s able to eventually is a triumph.

But the music isn’t, and while I was mistaken in thinking someone thought it innovative, if you are going to spend half the record being vulnerable lyrically (even cryptically) then why do you set such lyrics to such conventional music? If I were a cynic I might say “Because you’re already famous and want to sell records? Because the limitations of the country genre make it a necessity? Because you really aren’t that good a songwriter?” I’m not sure. Maybe it’s just messaging (the music gets elevated by the lyrics), but the aural effect doesn’t hit me like her lyrics do — not even close. To pick a totally opposite genre, this is why “It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back” is genius — because it pushes the envelope lyrically AND musically. Maybe this is why the CCR cover is one of the best things here and why so many like the covers record she did with her sis, who knows.

Anyhow, my criticisms are meta. There are enough standard country hooks here (on the early tunes especially) to make me listen again, but I think I’ll stick with Tom T Hall, Loretta Lynne, Charlie Rich and even Merle Haggard — or Johnny Cash if he still counts as country and not punk. I don’t think many would quibble with that. But that I might stick with Rascall Flats is more problematic. Please forgive me my churlishness. 6/10.

Last edited:
I’m kind of with you on the “nice” here, though “Hurricane” wasn’t my favo(u)rite. The lyrics gradually move from banal to intense as the record goes on and the metaphors become darker (and are barely metaphors) and less cliched too, as if we’re going through a journey with Allison into a very dark place — I mean arguably as dark as it can get for a child human, forgetting even her divorce from (noted douchebag?) Steve Earle. Even so, there’s an awful lot of cliched imagery here especially early on up until “Wish I.” I really struggled with this for awhile but finally decided I couldn’t let her limitations in relative expression of her pain be something to criticiz(s)e. Maybe she meant it as reflective of her hesitancy to open up. The fact that she’s able to eventually is a triumph.

But the music isn’t, and while I was mistaken in thinking someone thought it innovative, if you are going to spend half the record being vulnerable lyrically (even cryptically) then why do you set such lyrics to such conventional music? If I were a cynic I might say “Because you’re already famous and want to sell records? Because the limitations of the country genre make it a necessity? Because you really aren’t that good a songwriter?” I’m not sure. Maybe it’s just messaging (the music gets elevated by the lyrics), but the aural effect doesn’t hit me like her lyrics do — not even close. To pick a totally opposite genre, this is why “It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back” is genius — because it pushes the envelope lyrically AND musically. Maybe this is why the CCR cover is one of the best things here and why so many like the covers record she did with her sis, who knows.

Anyhow, my criticisms are meta. There are enough standard country hooks here (on the early tunes especially) to make me listen again, but I think I’ll stick with Tom T Hall, Loretta Lynne, Charlie Rich and even Merle Haggard — or Johnny Cash if he still counts as country and not punk. I don’t think many would quibble with that. But that I might stick with Rascall Flats is more problematic. Please forgive me my churlishness. 6/10.

Churlishness forgiven. Though I would politely suggest that the Rascal Flatts comparison is indeed problematic but not necessarily in relation to Moorer :-)

Allison Moorer - Down to believing

Initial thoughts after the first listen was a lot of this was a bit cruise ship entertainment and all a bit generic- however after more listens i appreciated the consistency here, I’d say more power pop than country, reminded me a little of Katie Tunstall.
A lot of nice use of slide guitar and acoustic- she is supported by a good band.
Lyrically whilst heartfelt I thought it was all a bit weak. All nice on the ear and enjoyed.
Unsure about the cover tracks.

Pick of the bunch : Thunderstorm/Hurricane

Extra Point: Giving Robert Redford the Horse Whisperer a boner.

6/10

What's wrong with you lot and women singers? Y'all need to get in touch with your feminine side :-)

Might have to nominate Sarah McLachlan next time to help you all in this :-) (and probably get a permaban in the process).
I’m the opposite. Most of my favourite singer songwriters (not just confined to the country/alt.country genre) are women. No idea why. Allison Moorer, Lucinda Williams, Nicole Atkins, Emmylou Harris, even back in the day, Maria McKee. I own more albums by that lot than just about any artist bar the Beatles, the Stones and Dylan

Allison Moorer - Down to believing

Initial thoughts after the first listen was a lot of this was a bit cruise ship entertainment and all a bit generic- however after more listens i appreciated the consistency here, I’d say more power pop than country, reminded me a little of Katie Tunstall.
A lot of nice use of slide guitar and acoustic- she is supported by a good band.
Lyrically whilst heartfelt I thought it was all a bit weak. All nice on the ear and enjoyed.
Unsure about the cover tracks.

Pick of the bunch : Thunderstorm/Hurricane

Extra Point: Giving Robert Redford the Horse Whisperer a boner.

6/10

The lyrics piece is interesting I think. I can hardly sit here and claim they are particularly sophisticated but the honesty of them carries enough of the day for me and to Foggy's point (I think) the simplicity belies some real darkness in what's being communicated. In the absence of great lyrics, either punchy and/or poetic, I personally would rather have 'unsophisticated' and authentic than word soup passing itself off as something more, which is my personal bete noire. That said often it's fans rather than artists who imbue songs with meaning that isn't there, which is fair enough as it's in the eye of the beholder after all. I'm ok with word soup when it's purpose is simple sonic effect rather than meaning, New Order being a fantastic example of that approach.

Last edited:
My kinda Gal..

Unsurprising as she's a miserable bleeder too ;-)

More seriously, she can cope with my "no genre too dodgy" approach to music with the single exception of country. That she doesn't get Lyle Lovett is a sadness that obviously casts a shadow over our marriage, but we committed to work through the difficult times so we press on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.