The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Ha I almost put that on yesterday morning whilst waiting for the new album to drop but instead listened to a podcast review of Guitar Town as it had been a pick on here recently. Thankfully they disliked it so it always nice to have your opinions validated :) it's on my list of things to try though.
Can’t wait for your nomination,
Bet it’s crap

:-)

Despite being on paper a proposition I might like, I've always been somewhat indifferent to PF. I appreciate some of their qualities but I've always felt other sources can give me the elements I like but on terms I prefer, so ultimately I've never really managed to find any kind of emotional connection to their music.

On first listen I can't decide what to make of this. My first listen generally tells me how much care I need to put into the subsequent ones. Sometimes I don't need to give much thought to "how" I listen to the picks but other times, the how and the when need to be considered to give the album a fighting chance. Think this is one of those times.

We’re all friends here. ;-)
A short sentence but one that filled me with pride, but don't spread it wider thatn this thread...friends with a dipper!!!!
Revenge crapping is the best kind of crapping imo.
That reminded me of a story from one of my work colleagues who used to be a copper based out of Preston. One of his team used to indulge in something that was referred to "top decking", a sort of revenge thing. Every new/alternate station he went to he felt the need to defecate into the cistern before exiting with a smile on his face.
And these people are meant to keep us safe!

Anyway, away to Split today for a week so not sure if will get a chance to post a review in time.

Keep safe all

....and Waldorf & Statler/Bimbo & Southampton

Despite being on paper a proposition I might like, I've always been somewhat indifferent to PF. I appreciate some of their qualities but I've always felt other sources can give me the elements I like but on terms I prefer, so ultimately I've never really managed to find any kind of emotional connection to their music.

On first listen I can't decide what to make of this. My first listen generally tells me how much care I need to put into the subsequent ones. Sometimes I don't need to give much thought to "how" I listen to the picks but other times, the how and the when need to be considered to give the album a fighting chance. Think this is one of those times.
Sit down and listen to the first song. Pay careful attention. If when that tom fill happens and second synth comes in you don't vomit you should keep listening. When the sax comes in if you enjoy the subtle change in the chord progression you should keep listening. If you're still vomitting you've heard all you need to because not much else different happens

I'm actually listening again this morning out of choice (and not because I'm feeling sad)

Last edited:
Genuinely can't decide if I should put up the album that means most to me or one I think might be enjoyed by others more.

With the obvious caveat I don't know what the choices are, I think it really won't matter. Somehow I have the feeling that either way you will be able to do a writeup that gets the discussion going, which is all that really counts.

Sit down and listen to the first song. Pay careful attention. If when that tom fill happens and second synth comes in you don't vomit you should keep listening. When the sax comes in if you enjoy the subtle change in the chord progression you should keep listening. If you're still vomitting you've heard all you need to because not much else different happens

I'm actually listening again this morning out of choice (and not because I'm feeling sad)

Hmm I can think of better uses for an Oberheim and I did twitch a bit when the sax came in, less to do with the chord progression but my reflexive dislike of the way it's recorded. But I still feel inclined to persist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.