The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I think my main challenge with this was I found it very 'bitty'. The issue with putting in a little of absolutely everything is you make it that much harder to create a whole. That said I'm not sure it was his intention to make anything cohesive and though very different from last week's pick it once again feels like he's made it predominantly for himself. Which is fine but again has not produced something that particularly works for me.

It's an odd one because I thought a number of individual tracks were ok and were this to have been on a streaming platform I wouldn't mind if/when the algorithm chucked one of them into the autoplay. But the whole is less than the sum of the parts for me. There's also too much of it, one track like say How We Flow has many entertaining, arguably daft, elements but repeating the trick becomes exhausting.

I stand by my kitchen draw analogy, it's too much of a jumble for me. I rather like a draw with separators and matching things in their own space, possibly because I can rarely achieve such order. I suspect that says something unflattering about me but it's nonetheless the case.

At times it was silly, other times odd and occasionally seemingly serious. I tend to think if you are going to be eclectic you need consistency of quality to unify things and I don't think there is that level of quality. I'm no expert on hip-hop beats but it felt at times, such as with 3po Soul, that he was chucking in three or four tracksworth of window dressing effects to disguise uninspiring beats.

There's too many thoughts, musical and lyrical, that are underdeveloped or not followed through, just chucked out there. Also, though I normally quite like a bit of lo-fi, for some reason this aspect grated at times.

Maybe it is just supposed to be a quasi stream of consciousness but I'm not convinced. If you take Pumpfake then he's clearly making a (totally valid) point which he feels strongly enough to sing about. But it's hardly revelatory that organised religions tend to end up being dodgy as and lose sight of God. The challenge of a reductive counter approach of simply pursuing a personal relationship with God is that it's at odds with the Christian teaching that the church is one body and part of faith is to be living in communion with each other. So I liked the inner tube analogy but where to from there? Maybe he has a view on this, but I either missed it or literally couldn't understand the words if he was making a point in that regard. So I ultimately ended up finding what could have been a good and challenging song a bit basic and unsatisfying.

At one point I did find myself comparing it to Faure's Requiem, a ridiculous and unfair comparison but at a crass level quite illuminating for me. There is a cohesiveness both to Faure's music and the meaning of each individual component that literally more than a billion people would understand. This is at the other end of the spectrum, an individual seemingly spitting out his thoughts on God which may be just as valid but it just didn't feel developed or organised enough for me to get a hook into it.

There's that 'organised' word again, organised kitchen draw, organised religion. It's entirely possible I'm just not mentally flexible enough to keep up with it and I have a latent fear of chaos.

Having had a big old moan about it, and as much as it exhausted me, I do have admiration for the sheer amount of energy he's put into it. Similarly though I criticise it for lack of coherence, the counter argument is it has an endearing feeling of spontaneity. There is also, and this would be an ecumenical matter, an irony to having a moan about someone else's conception or relationship with Christ when, certainly in the UK at least, the dwindling number of Christians are viewed by some of the wider population as either hate filled nutters or weak minded simpletons . (I'm assuming he's not a certain type of right-wing evangelical whose version of Christianity should imo be challenged at every opportunity).

Interestingly, Belfry picked this as his/their most accessible albumsl but I randomly picked another one (1961) that was on a streaming platform and found it more enjoyable and easier to get into. It might not be any more suitable as a pick but musically he seemed to have calmed down a bit and as a consequence I liked it more.

All that said I would listen to maybe half of the individual tracks from this again, and based on 1961 will possibly explore his other stuff.

So overall an interesting pick and I'll go with 6/10.

Last edited:
I think my main challenge with this was I found it very 'bitty'. The issue with putting in a little of absolutely everything is you make it that much harder to create a whole. That said I'm not sure it was his intention to make anything cohesive and though very different from last week's pick it once again feels like he's made it predominantly for himself. Which is fine but again has not produced something that particularly works for me.

It's an odd one because I thought a number of individual tracks were ok and were this to have been on a streaming platform I wouldn't mind if/when the algorithm chucked one of them into the autoplay. But the whole is less than the sum of the parts for me. There's also too much of it, one track like say How We Flow has many entertaining, arguably daft, elements but repeating the trick becomes exhausting.

I stand by my kitchen draw analogy, it's too much of a jumble for me. I rather like a draw with separators and matching things in their own space, possibly because I can rarely achieve such order. I suspect that says something unflattering about me but it's nonetheless the case.

At times it was silly, other times odd and occasionally seemingly serious. I tend to think if you are going to be eclectic you need consistency of quality to unify things and I don't think there is that level of quality. I'm no expert on hip-hop beats but it felt at times, such as with 3po Soul, that he was chucking in three or four tracksworth of window dressing effects to disguise uninspiring beats.

There's too many thoughts, musical and lyrical, that are underdeveloped or not followed through, just chucked out there. Also, though I normally quite like a bit of lo-fi, for some reason this aspect grated at times.

Maybe it is just supposed to be a quasi stream of consciousness but I'm not convinced. If you take Pumpfake then he's clearly making a (totally valid) point which he feels strongly enough to sing about. But it's hardly revelatory that organised religions tend to end up being dodgy as and lose sight of God. The challenge of a reductive counter approach of simply pursuing a personal relationship with God is that it's at odds with the Christian teaching that the church is one body and part of faith is to be living in communion with each other. So I liked the inner tube analogy but where to from there? Maybe he has a view on this, but I either missed it or literally couldn't understand the words if he was making a point in that regard. So I ultimately ended up finding what could have been a good and challenging song a bit basic and unsatisfying.

At one point I did find myself comparing it to Faure's Requiem, a ridiculous and unfair comparison but at a crass level quite illuminating for me. There is a cohesiveness both to Faure's music and the meaning of each individual component that literally more than a billion people would understand. This is at the other end of the spectrum, an individual seemingly spitting out his thoughts on God which may be just as valid but it just didn't feel developed or organised enough for me to get a hook into it.

There's that 'organised' word again, organised kitchen draw, organised religion. It's entirely possible I'm just not mentally flexible enough to keep up with it and I have a latent fear of chaos.

Having had a big old moan about it, and as much as it exhausted me, I do have admiration for the sheer amount of energy he's put into it. Similarly though I criticise it for lack of coherence, the counter argument is it has an endearing feeling of spontaneity. There is also, and this would be an ecumenical matter, an irony to having a moan about someone else's conception or relationship with Christ when, certainly in the UK at least, the dwindling number of Christians are viewed by some of the wider population as either hate filled nutters or weak minded simpletons . (I'm assuming he's not a certain type of right-wing evangelical whose version of Christianity should imo be challenged at every opportunity).

Interestingly, Belfry picked this as his/their most accessible albumsl but I randomly picked another one (1961) that was on a streaming platform and found it more enjoyable and easier to get into. It might not be any more suitable as a pick but musically he seemed to have calmed down a bit and as a consequence I liked it more.

All that said I would listen to maybe half of the individual tracks from this again, and based on 1961 will possibly explore his other stuff.

So overall an interesting pick and I'll go with 6/10.
I'm not sure what type of Christian he is but as I like him I'm going to assume he's the same kind as me. Nothing worse than finding out you have an affinity to an awful person.

1961 is more straightforward but if you listened to that and then 1958 you'd think they were different bands. For me 1956 feels like the bridge between all the strands so is therefore the more accessible.

Glad someone hated it less

I'm not sure what type of Christian he is but as I like him I'm going to assume he's the same kind as me. Nothing worse than finding out you have an affinity to an awful person.

1961 is more straightforward but if you listened to that and then 1958 you'd think they were different bands. For me 1956 feels like the bridge between all the strands so is therefore the more accessible.

Glad someone hated it less

Oh I think there's worse things than that, but I think I understand your point.

Yeah 1961 was the first one that came up and yes I certainly found it more straightforward, I will have a listen to 1958 to better understand your point.

One thing I forgot to say is though I was frustrated by not being able to "join in", I did like that it was interesting and thought provoking to hear someone worshiping through music in a very different way to what I would (mostly) be used to hearing.

Thinking about that also makes me realise that my comparison to last weeks pick is fundamentally flawed. Whereas with Wright I did feel he was writing for himself; given the nature of this pick, by definition, Galaxy isn't. The fact that I might not have got sufficiently into it is neither here nor there.

I forgot to say is though I was frustrated by not being able to "join in", I did like that it was interesting and thought provoking to hear someone worshiping through music in a very different way to what I would (mostly) be used to hearing.
Good point. Worship should at its heart be communal

Marzipan.

Though whenever I say this no one ever gets the reference :-(
???
According to Sephardic Jewish custom, friends of the woman giving birth would cook for her and prepare homemade marzipan. This was believed to enhance the mother's milk and was considered a symbol of purity and good fortune for both mother and baby.

Am I close?

???
According to Sephardic Jewish custom, friends of the woman giving birth would cook for her and prepare homemade marzipan. This was believed to enhance the mother's milk and was considered a symbol of purity and good fortune for both mother and baby.

Am I close?

Would that it was anything that sensible. You seem to have mistaken me for someone other than a halfwit.

Many years ago Vic and Bob used to play a pair of strange characters called the Stotts. Whenever marzipan was mentioned, one of them (Davey?) would become very defensive and announce "marzipan is a private matter".

I was going to say it was funnier than it sounds but on reflection possibly not.

Would that it was anything that sensible. You seem to have mistaken me for someone other than a halfwit.

Many years ago Vic and Bob used to play a pair of strange characters called the Stotts. Whenever marzipan was mentioned, one of them (Davey?) would become very defensive and announce "marzipan is a private matter".

I was going to say it was funnier than it sounds but on reflection possibly not.
No, I actually chuckled at your version.

No, I actually chuckled at your version.
Anyway MrB you’ve sparked the weirdest discussions and debates yet, with this week’s choice.
I’m basically filling in time until I get another chance to complete my first listen.
I’ll have to wait until the Mrs. drops home the mother in law.
In the mean time I’m reorganising my kitchen drawer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.