The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

At school I wouldn't have been seen dead in a stinking bit of denim with a Rising patch on it. But I didn't dislike the music in the same way some of the ska boys and mods did. I had a classmate who I got on ok with, who was very much in the Ritchie is god camp and would be forever bringing in cassettes of concert bootlegs etc and it was hard to deny what a talented bunch and Blackmore in particular they were. As the years have gone by I've warmed a bit to Blackmore and I actually think his intensity (being polite about it) has given way to being quite an interesting guy who doesn't take himself as seriously as a superficial glance might suggest.

I suspect most of us are familiar with this album to some degree or other so it'll be interesting to hear people's stories and thoughts.
It was weird at school with people pigeon holing themselves. I was in lower 6th saw The Clash at Belle Vue and Rainbow at Bingley Hall the next day and Lizzy and The Jam later in the month (Thank you Barry Ancill Ticket Agency at Piccadilly Records). But for some of us the different groups taking over the music at lunch gave us a melting point I never recovered from.

But Cozy starting Stargazer was one of the greatest song entries of all time, the guitar solo was epic and Ronnie James Dio had the best rock vocal I ever heard live.

Last edited:
I can vividly recall the first time I saw Ritchie Blackmore play guitar; it was at the Free Trade Hall on 5 September 1976.

From the moment Blackmore started to play I was transfixed by the mesmeric movement of his elegant fingers on the fretboard of his white Fender Stratocaster. I had seen some fine axe men by this time but nothing like the Man in Black. Before us was a genuine grade A axe hero. I’ve seen plenty of great guitar slingers (from Angus to Young) but Blackmore is quite simply the most exciting musician I have ever witnessed. He had an aura about him that was almost mystical and technical chops of the highest order. He could play faster than a highway star but was never a shredder: like all the best guitarists it was what he played rather than the speed he played it at. But it was also the sense of danger that you got from his gigs: you never knew what mood Der Mann in Schwarz would be in. Every show involved some improvisation – no two were exactly alike.

It was musical love at first sight.

Rainbow went through numerous line-ups, but my favourite remains the one from that first Rainbow gig.

As a collective they only recorded one studio album together, the one I most treasure: Rainbow Rising.

Rising’s consistency is what sets it apart. A few years after its release in 1981, the readers of Sounds and Kerrang voted it the best Heavy Metal album of all-time, which is a testament to the strength of this colourful concise coherent collection of six melodic metal songs. It’s all thriller and no filler.

I adore the sound of this record. Producer Martin Birch does a fine job of capturing tracks that were mostly recorded in one or two takes.

Blackmore is in blistering form, often demonstrating his penchant for a bit of slide guitar in addition to his plectrum perfection, as he lays down some stellar solos and cements his reputation as the riff merchant supreme.

Rocking elf, Ronnie James “Sign of the Devil” Dio, might be diminutive but he has a voice like a giant Viking bukkehorn that dwarfs those of mere mortals. His lyrics may descend to the darkest depths of Dungeons and Dragons but who cares what mystical nonsense he is singing about when it sounds this good.

With the hammer always down, driving the tracks along is the turbo charged powerhouse Cozy Powell. Cozy dances with the devil as his piledriving stick work pummels the skins to the point of bursting and cracks start to appear on his cymbals.

Side 1 features four riff driven nuggets; although Tarot Woman opens proceedings with Tony Carey’s synthesiser swirling like the Dartmoor mist before Blackmore’s slashing guitar builds like an approaching electrical storm and Cozy P thunders in. Both Ritchie and Carey contribute memorable solos.

Run with the Wolf has a distinctive biting medieval riff of the kind Blackmore is a master of.

Starstruck is an early take on stalker fans.

Encore favourite Do You Close your Eyes is a rampant rocker with a catchy chorus and tender long song lyrics.

Side 2 is where the big boys turn up.

The record’s centre piece is the much-feted Stargazer. This is Blackmore’s Kashmir, a symphonic slam of a number that opens with a barrage of drums and builds into a towering orchestral journey climaxing with one of Blackmore’s epic solos.

The musical pyrotechnics of closer A Light in the Black are a set of superb musicians showing off while Dio wails like a demented Hobbit. The multi-coloured mayhem has Jimmy Bain’s bass galloping like a wild horse and Cozy Powell’s drums hurtling along like a herd of stampeding buffalo.

Tony Carey produces one of the greatest synth solos ever, locks in with Blackmore, before the man in black responds with some face melting fret board dynamics. It’s searing, sizzling, breath-taking stuff.

There are very few long players I’ve gone back to more times. Of course, some of you won’t like it but, hey, at least the whole thing is only 34 minutes long.
I must admit I was in heaven reading this, thanks for putting it together (though I think there’s enough alliteration in there to last me a good while ;-)

The line that stood out for me was the sense of danger from his gigs. It was a good decade later before I saw him first and by then I’d seen plenty of other bands. But this was the first (and probably only) time I’ve seen the crowd at the front surge forward and gather stage right where he was playing, and pretty much ignore Gillan who was centre stage and the rest of the band!
Like you say, he was just so, so exciting to watch.

At one point in my listening he used to frustrate me a bit, in the way Page did, in that his live solos sometimes veered away significantly from the studio versions (unlike Gilmour, Rothery, Lifeson etc), but I came to appreciate that more in the end.

I will say on that note, I’ve never heard a live version of Stargazer sound as good as the record, though that’s a real tribute to the production on the original isn’t it?

I might be in the minority here, but I’d actually take Rainbow’s Best Of double album over an equivalent Deep Purple album, and Rising certainly contributes to that big time.

Thanks again for posting mate.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been busy with work and wasn't able to listen to the last album but I'm going to have a listen as I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Cocteau's but never really listened to anything they did.

As for Rainbow, I LOVE Stargazer but never listened to the album. Of course, Rainbow have done some absolute classic rock songs so I'm hoping to give this a listen as I've never listened to one of their albums either!

I was chatting about this album over the balcony on holiday only a couple of days ago with a fellow rocker who I have 20 years on, via discussion about Dio with Sabbath.

The outcome was I downloaded the couple of tracks not in my phone from it and had a Rainbow flight back to the UK though my headphones.

Stargazer is in my top 3 rock tracks of all time. Now I'm typing about it in the middle of the night I'm playing it in my head .....sleep could be over....FFS!!! ;)

I can vividly recall the first time I saw Ritchie Blackmore play guitar; it was at the Free Trade Hall on 5 September 1976.

From the moment Blackmore started to play I was transfixed by the mesmeric movement of his elegant fingers on the fretboard of his white Fender Stratocaster. I had seen some fine axe men by this time but nothing like the Man in Black. Before us was a genuine grade A axe hero. I’ve seen plenty of great guitar slingers (from Angus to Young) but Blackmore is quite simply the most exciting musician I have ever witnessed. He had an aura about him that was almost mystical and technical chops of the highest order. He could play faster than a highway star but was never a shredder: like all the best guitarists it was what he played rather than the speed he played it at. But it was also the sense of danger that you got from his gigs: you never knew what mood Der Mann in Schwarz would be in. Every show involved some improvisation – no two were exactly alike.

It was musical love at first sight.

Rainbow went through numerous line-ups, but my favourite remains the one from that first Rainbow gig.

As a collective they only recorded one studio album together, the one I most treasure: Rainbow Rising.

Rising’s consistency is what sets it apart. A few years after its release in 1981, the readers of Sounds and Kerrang voted it the best Heavy Metal album of all-time, which is a testament to the strength of this colourful concise coherent collection of six melodic metal songs. It’s all thriller and no filler.

I adore the sound of this record. Producer Martin Birch does a fine job of capturing tracks that were mostly recorded in one or two takes.

Blackmore is in blistering form, often demonstrating his penchant for a bit of slide guitar in addition to his plectrum perfection, as he lays down some stellar solos and cements his reputation as the riff merchant supreme.

Rocking elf, Ronnie James “Sign of the Devil” Dio, might be diminutive but he has a voice like a giant Viking bukkehorn that dwarfs those of mere mortals. His lyrics may descend to the darkest depths of Dungeons and Dragons but who cares what mystical nonsense he is singing about when it sounds this good.

With the hammer always down, driving the tracks along is the turbo charged powerhouse Cozy Powell. Cozy dances with the devil as his piledriving stick work pummels the skins to the point of bursting and cracks start to appear on his cymbals.

Side 1 features four riff driven nuggets; although Tarot Woman opens proceedings with Tony Carey’s synthesiser swirling like the Dartmoor mist before Blackmore’s slashing guitar builds like an approaching electrical storm and Cozy P thunders in. Both Ritchie and Carey contribute memorable solos.

Run with the Wolf has a distinctive biting medieval riff of the kind Blackmore is a master of.

Starstruck is an early take on stalker fans.

Encore favourite Do You Close your Eyes is a rampant rocker with a catchy chorus and tender long song lyrics.

Side 2 is where the big boys turn up.

The record’s centre piece is the much-feted Stargazer. This is Blackmore’s Kashmir, a symphonic slam of a number that opens with a barrage of drums and builds into a towering orchestral journey climaxing with one of Blackmore’s epic solos.

The musical pyrotechnics of closer A Light in the Black are a set of superb musicians showing off while Dio wails like a demented Hobbit. The multi-coloured mayhem has Jimmy Bain’s bass galloping like a wild horse and Cozy Powell’s drums hurtling along like a herd of stampeding buffalo.

Tony Carey produces one of the greatest synth solos ever, locks in with Blackmore, before the man in black responds with some face melting fret board dynamics. It’s searing, sizzling, breath-taking stuff.

There are very few long players I’ve gone back to more times. Of course, some of you won’t like it but, hey, at least the whole thing is only 34 minutes long.
What a brilliant review - I doff my cap.

It was weird at school with people pigeon holing themselves. I was in lower 6th saw The Clash at Belle Vue and Rainbow at Bingley Hall the next day and Lizzy and The Jam later in the month (Thank you Barry Ancill Ticket Agency at Piccadilly Records). But for some of us the different groups taking over the music at lunch gave us a melting point I never recovered from.

But Cozy starting Stargazer was one of the greatest song entries of all time, the guitar solo was epic and Ronnie James Dio had the best rock vocal I ever heard live.

Barry Ancill was at school with my Dad, so Barry would save me tickets for any gig I wanted :-)

I suppose it was a desire to be part of a tribe and forge an identity. I was a quiet kid and not a big joiner in so I tended to be on the sidelines which gave me the luxury of not having to pretend to only like one type of music.

At the risk of generalising most of the proper rockers I know have tended to stick to their knitting over the years and it's been a life long love affair pretty much with that genre only.

I'm going to save my thoughts on Stargazer for my review though I wouldn't disagree with much of what you've said.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.