The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1838) - ???? - ????

Decent playlist, a couple of thumbs down including surprisingly Joni Mitchell although there’s time for me to change my mind.

A few artists worth exploring further, starting with Big Special although from what I’ve read about them I wonder if they might be better in small doses. Favourite track so far though of those that are new to me.

You can’t go wrong with Crowded House, not the obvious pick for them but great track all the same.

Mardi Bum I’d forgotten how good that was

I also think Rob is being framed.

Well yes, my only question is whether it's you or Doogle fitting him up with the Kevin McDermott Orchestra, but as I've got you down for Big Special, I'm going to have to stick with Doogle

Irrespective of who is stitching up who I like the vast majority. In no particular order, kudos to whoever nominated:

Ian McNabb - haven't listened to him in ages
The ever reliable Roddy Frame (who whenever he appears in these pages reminds me of Journo's outrage at my suggestion that James King and The Lonewolves had a bit of his style at times)
Nick Waterhouse - struggling to put a name to that one but it's good
Big Special - and irrespective of who has nominated them, cheers to Out on blue 6 for these and many others on the new music thread
Allison Russell - a number of people in the frame for this one
The Bad Plus - saw them years ago at Ronnie Scott's would like to see them again some time

Other observations

I didn't realise Joni M wrote Woodstock either tbh, the version I remember when I was younger was Mathews Southern Comfort
Laughing Len would be good apart from the dodgy 80's synths and production, haven't looked it up but wouldn't be surprised if there was a Yamaha DX effing 7 at large in there somewhere
I like Kurt Vile but have to admit this is not one of my favourites
I have a bit of sympathy with Bimbo re. Dogs Eye View, but less so re. Silversun Pickups albeit more based on their other songs rather than this one
Don Henley, with apologies to whoever nominated this, I would rather stick my bits in a blender than endure this

Overall it seems a bit more mellow as a playlist than previous

Well yes, my only question is whether it's you or Doogle fitting him up with the Kevin McDermott Orchestra, but as I've got you down for Big Special, I'm going to have to stick with Doogle

Irrespective of who is stitching up who I like the vast majority. In no particular order, kudos to whoever nominated:

Ian McNabb - haven't listened to him in ages
The ever reliable Roddy Frame (who whenever he appears in these pages reminds me of Journo's outrage at my suggestion that James King and The Lonewolves had a bit of his style at times)
Nick Waterhouse - struggling to put a name to that one but it's good
Big Special - and irrespective of who has nominated them, cheers to Out on blue 6 for these and many others on the new music thread
Allison Russell - a number of people in the frame for this one
The Bad Plus - saw them years ago at Ronnie Scott's would like to see them again some time

Other observations

I didn't realise Joni M wrote Woodstock either tbh, the version I remember when I was younger was Mathews Southern Comfort
Laughing Len would be good apart from the dodgy 80's synths and production, haven't looked it up but wouldn't be surprised if there was a Yamaha DX effing 7 at large in there somewhere
I like Kurt Vile but have to admit this is not one of my favourites
I have a bit of sympathy with Bimbo re. Dogs Eye View, but less so re. Silversun Pickups albeit more based on their other songs rather than this one
Don Henley, with apologies to whoever nominated this, I would rather stick my bits in a blender than endure this

Overall it seems a bit more mellow as a playlist than previous
I take it you’re not too impressed with the Metallica track then?

Funnily enough, the is the clear outstanding best song on the playlist that I was referring to :)

I did acknowledge earlier that it is much loved.

Though we have more in common musically than might sometimes appear, I fear this is one of a number of areas where we shall remain implacably opposed!

Is there a reason we PM the top 10 rather than statw them here? Nice to see who went with what, we used to do that till the last round or two maybe.

Just asking, not suggesting.

Is there a reason we PM the top 10 rather than statw them here? Nice to see who went with what, we used to do that till the last round or two maybe.

Just asking, not suggesting.

Wasn't it to stop people having to out themselves by having to exclude a track that it would be obvious they'd have liked?

Wasn't it to stop people having to out themselves by having to exclude a track that it would be obvious they'd have liked?

Swaperoonsies?

Plus, anyone cross referencing it that forensically probably deserves the Colombo cup.

Guess it is maybe more work for Rob though.

Swaperoonsies?

Plus, anyone cross referencing it that forensically probably deserves the Colombo cup.

Guess it is maybe more work for Rob though.

Works for the guessing but for the top 10 wouldnt you still have to pm rob to let him know which one you wanted to replace in your track with?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.