The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I'm not feeling the love for this album that others are. I may have heard it in it's entirity before, I'm not sure but certainly I'm aware of the two main songs from it. And I can't argue with what an effective opener The Eve of the War is, it's a great piece of music. But up there with Beethoven? Do me a favour... It is so good though that Wayne decides to flog it to death throughout the album, not in anyway making up for the paucity of the rest of it...

Burton's delivery is fine but there's only so often I want to listen to any story. I got bored reading the Gruffalo to my children and I got bored listening to this tale. In fact I wonder if HG Wells got bored writing it and having gone so far couldn't really be arsed coming up with any scenes that demonstrated the power of human resistance and just though fuck it, all the aliens just died because they couldn't hack it on earth.

Forever Atutumn, nice song. I prefer the version that I'm used to without bits of the story in it but that's by the by becuase it's not a song I would listen to anyway.

As for the rest of it... I generally hated it. The songs are too long, the drama is flat, the lyrics are hackneyed. At one point listenting to this driving through the beautiful Welsh contryside I was kind of wishing aliens would come down and get me so I wouldn't have to listen to any more.

I've got a natural aversion to stuff like this, I'm bracketing it with Meat Loaf which for the life of me I can't understand the popularity of and Queen and other music aimed at satisfying the masses.

If I was being more generous I'd accept this album as prog rock and it would have a chance. I love the pretentions of Genesis, Yes a little less so but still highly listenable. This though? Awful vocals from Lynott but not as bad as those of David Essex. Those songs might have just been acceptable if they had made their point and fucked off but they went on and on...

I've said before that I would never score something low just because it isn't my cup of tea if I felt it was a genuine attempt to make music. Low scores are for the perfunctory and cynical. I think this is a cynical piece of work. One great motif and a nice song about somebody dying or something aren't enough to sustain an album. Who asked for a musical fucking version of the War of the Worlds anyway? It sold millions, so as an exercise it worked but not for me.

It's a 4

I got bored reading the Gruffalo to my children and I got bored listening to this tale.

Should have just kept switching the voices (and narrative) up to amuse yourself. By the time the kids had had enough of me reading the gruffalo it was madder then anything on this album.

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS

Apart from the two singles released ‘Forever Autumn’ and ‘The Eve Of The War’ I hadn’t heard anything else from this album before, although a mate had a copy.I don’t like musicals so it didn’t appeal to me.
I’ve only managed one full listen and sadly that was enough, it was like listening to an audio book with an annoying soundtrack and additional space invaders sound effects.Very much of its time.

A brave pick BB and as usual a great nostalgic write up.

1 for the write up,1 for ‘Forever Autumn’ a pleasant song and 1 for Richard Burton.

3/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.