The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Hah! One of the advantages of being an FOC with young kids is that now and again you can display seemingly random knowledge of new(ish) stuff. I'll be really interested to see what people make of this.

If you've got Sky there's a documentary available on Sky Arts called Rise of the Synths which is all about Synthwave as a genre and will actually provide some context in relation to what bands like The Midnight feel they are doing (and BH's Stranger Things reference is very relevant). I guarantee some of you will want to put your foot through the TV after about 10 minutes but it's actually quite interesting if you are interested in music scenes in general (albeit this one is pretty damn geeky).

Hah! One of the advantages of being an FOC with young kids is that now and again you can display seemingly random knowledge of new(ish) stuff. I'll be really interested to see what people make of this.

If you've got Sky there's a documentary available on Sky Arts called Rise of the Synths which is all about Synthwave as a genre and will actually provide some context in relation to what bands like The Midnight feel they are doing (and BH's Stranger Things reference is very relevant). I guarantee some of you will want to put your foot through the TV after about 10 minutes but it's actually quite interesting if you are interested in music scenes in general (albeit this one is pretty damn geeky).
I love the original music on Stranger Things. However, I often find that when you strip the visuals away from film/TV music, it loses a lot of its appeal. Not John Williams’ stuff, obviously.

Am I going to be disappointed with this offering?

As you all know I am a synth God.

I would say quite possibly. I've already written my review, where I bang on at great and boring length about some quite fundamental differences in 80s synths and the type of sounds they produced. As you're a hardcore DM fan I would guess the types of synths that really warm the cockles of your oscillators are different from the ones that most synthwave bands take inspiration from. We're not in Vince Clarke's Prophet 3 or Daniel Miller's Synclavier territory.

Do you like Jan Hammer? :-)

I love the original music on Stranger Things. However, I often find that when you strip the visuals away from film/TV music, it loses a lot of its appeal. Not John Williams’ stuff, obviously.

I think The Midnight are quite interesting in that if you listen to this album you might imagine they, like quite a lot of synthwave, wouldn't be that great as a live act but I'm reliably informed they are fantastic. As for John Williams, despite his great reputation he's probably still underrated as a composer.

I would say quite possibly. I've already written my review, where I bang on at great and boring length about some quite fundamental differences in 80s synths and the type of sounds they produced. As you're a hardcore DM fan I would guess the types of synths that really warm the cockles of your oscillators are different from the ones that most synthwave bands take inspiration from. We're not in Vince Clarke's Prophet 3 or Daniel Miller's Synclavier territory.

Do you like Jan Hammer? :-)
Which era Jan Hammer?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.