The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

All clues are for the band. The clue for the album title would be very difficult.

Does the clue mean much to me? Yes, some of it does!

Same genre at week #81 (I think) or maybe week #11.

Aphex Twin?
Correct. I might as well post the full info now because it's a compilation album.

Here's what @LGWIO wrote.

APHEX.jpg

APHEX TWIN SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS 85-92

I had pondered long and hard about what album to lay before you all. There was of course the idea of having you all listen to Gerry & The Pacemakers greatest hits, but then I realised that it would unfair on you all to be forced to give such high scores to a “Dipper”.

The offerings from Air & Budos Band did steal a bit of my thunder and did make me question whether to put another “instrumental” up for review…especially knowing how many of the fellow album threads residents are FOCs who like a bit of verse/chorus/verse. Even more so with no guitars here!

So, I give you the one, the only, Richard D James / Aphex Twin….a musical prodigy who (it is claimed) started work on some of these tracks when he was only 14, with the finished album being released in 1992 at the age of 21. No matter what the truth is, he has produced work that has pushed electronic music forward and had an influence on many (One of his biggest fans being Martin Gore).

I first heard this in my post student days when living in a squat in Deptford. It became the soundtrack to both pre and post club nights. As a result it has worked its way into my head and heart and certainly brings back happy, easier, youthful times. Now a grumpy old man I still turn to this often, whether happy or sad, as background or to actually listen to…and as a result I have ended up having to re-buy the CD a couple of times over the years. Anyway folks, I hope that this strikes a chord with you, as it has with me…..

Xtal
Tha
Pulsewidth
Ageispolis
I
Green Calx
Heliosphan
We are the music makers
Schottkey 7th Path
Ptolemy
Hedphelym
Delphium
Actium

Highlights for me are “Pulsewidth”, “Ageispolis”, “Green Calx” and the best of the bunch with the layers and soaring synths is “Heliosphan”.

In 2003, the album was placed number 92 in NME's "100 Best Albums" poll.[ The album was also featured in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. At various times it has been described as, "a masterpiece of ambient techno" and a "work of brilliance". With one magazine naming it the greatest album of the 1990’s

This album has been a constant for almost 30years with me. I am expecting a marmite reaction, but am hoping that I may get at least one convert and a score marginally higher than “The Streets”.

ENJOY!

Correct. I might as well post the full info now because it's a compilation album.
I had thought of Aph-X-twin when you put out the second clue (with no idea what to make of the first), but just didn't think the genre fit LGWIO. Till you nudged it with the genre.

Then I realised, I have no idea what genre fits LGWIO as it's his first nomination!

Nice! with the bashing the Chems got be surprised if this hits the spot. I saw Aphex Twin at festival in London Victoria years ago but couldn't tell you a track he did. Had the 'Come To Daddy' Album which was very different!

Thanks to Rob for posting my clues and write up as had to nip back over the water to pick up a new car and just home now.

Disappointed with you lot for not getting the album on the strength of the first clue, especially after I had gone to all that trouble to find players with squad numbers that matched the dates...and lo and behold City have said youth players...and one of them even scored for you the other night!!! Mr Hamilton I think.

Not really my cup of tea this, but I’ll give it a go. Can’t be any worse than The Streets… hopefully!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.