The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I totally agree with that.
remind me why there is scoring attached to this thread again? ;-)
Ha. Well done.

Obviously art is not totally subjective. There are reasons certain bits of art ring the chimes of lots of people over decades or centuries and other bits never see the light of day. And it’s not down to how good the artist’s agent is!

An interesting comment. There are those who believe that art cannot be measured - I'm always reminded of the scene in Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams' character is abhorrent about "legions of students measuring poetry" (I can't remember the exact quote).

I know that for some people, just knowing whether they like something or not is enough. But I'm always interested by the degree to which people like or dislike something - including discovering the degree of my own views in either direction when I like or dislike something. Rating things out of 5 or 10 or whatever and then discussing the pros and cons with others is interesting to me (and hopefully others!).

When you hear something new, you'll either like it or dislike it. But finding where it fits in with all those loves and hates of the past is a worthwhile exercise IMO.

I'm actually not big on trying to score albums. Ultimately, my prime measure of an album that I have bought is whether or not I want to keep it. Thankfully. I have not had to sell many over the years.

In truth, I think a great many albums are middling but that's ok, for me. I don't just need to listen to the music that I think is absolutely wonderful. I like to have lots of options and don't overplay stuff.

Doesn't really matter what any of us think: Floyd are allegedly the 8th best selling music act of all time so they are incredibly successful at what they do.

Do I prefer Floyd over Genesis? Not even worth me trying to work it out but DTSOM & Wish You Were Here are better albums than any of Genesis' in my view.

I prefer Yes over both when it comes down to it but that's just my taste.
Agree with the final statement.

I suppose it seems a bit shit really me knocking Pink Floyd after all they have sold zillions of records and zillions people love them.
They have written some good songs, it's just personal taste, they don't grab me and they don't excite me, I just find them ....dreary.
Just ignore me I'm just a miserable old twat LoL

I suppose it seems a bit shit really me knocking Pink Floyd after all they have sold zillions of records and zillions people love them.
They have written some good songs, it's just personal taste, they don't grab me and they don't excite me, I just find them ....dreary.
The selling criteria doesn't always work for me - Britney must have sold tens of millions of records, doesn't mean I appreciate her input to the music industry (I know that's a very selective view)..........

I learn new words when I read your posts.

Of course, it was only in jest. The "anti-Coldplay" attitude I have is based on 1. The overplaying of Paradise on TV all-the-f******-time and 2. The small sample of their songs I have actually heard are cold and soulless and not my thing at all.

I've never listened to a Coldplay album, but based on what I've heard, why would I? Having said that, if they come up in one of these threads, I'll give them a fair crack of the whip like I do everybody else, and I suspect I'll probably rate them higher than I do now ...... but I'm more than happy to wait until I'm "forced" to listen.

An interesting comment. There are those who believe that art cannot be measured - I'm always reminded of the scene in Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams' character is abhorrent about "legions of students measuring poetry" (I can't remember the exact quote).

I know that for some people, just knowing whether they like something or not is enough. But I'm always interested by the degree to which people like or dislike something - including discovering the degree of my own views in either direction when I like or dislike something. Rating things out of 5 or 10 or whatever and then discussing the pros and cons with others is interesting to me (and hopefully others!).

When you hear something new, you'll either like it or dislike it. But finding where it fits in with all those loves and hates of the past is a worthwhile exercise IMO.
I think you either like something or you don’t and yes there are degrees of both but the scoring for me is the least interesting element of this thread. The discussion is where it’s rich and interesting and the sponsorship of music you don’t know well. As soon as you introduce scoring to a bunch of blokes it will get competitive. For my next choice I will critique Dark Side of the Moon ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.