The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

THE LAST BROADCAST

Coincidentally this is another band Mrs D likes ,though I think she had ‘The Last Souls’ album.It’s odd one for me as although I’m Manchester born and bred, I’m not that enamoured with Manchester bands the exceptions being The Smiths and New Order/Joy Division.I don’t mind some of Oasis and The Happy Mondays but most others didn’t do much for me.Anways onto Doves , I heard the odd single and I remember them playing at the last Maine road match but I was never tempted to listen to an album of theirs so this has ticked a box.
It sounds very familiar which is no bad thing although I’m getting vibes of Coldplay on some tracks,Early Snow Patrol and more recently Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds.
There are some tracks I like ‘Words’ ‘There Goes The Fear’ ‘N.Y’ Pounding’ and ‘Caught by The River’ others not so much.Not sure I’d listen to the album again but some of these tracks are played regularly on Radio X ,which my wife insists we have on in the car so I’ll get to hear them again.

I’m glad B&WBMT nominated them as they’re a band I should’ve listened to before.

6.5/10

I thought it was a nice lead into the first song...
and I thought the title was appropriately done too. ;-)

On The Universal Want, they have a similar 50 second intro to the album that they kept as part of the opening track of "Carousels", even though one could argue it is just a build up to the album and the first song itself and could have existed on its own.

They must have received some prior feedback from The Last Broadcast. ;-)

Last edited:
I’d heard of and heard Doves prior to the final day at Maine Rd but hadn’t bought anything by them at that point. I then bought this album which I think had been out for a bit by then, partly because I thought I should as they were City fans. I’m pretty sure I didn’t buy Some Cities which implies I wasn’t that impressed by this album; however I did subsequently buy Kingdom of Rust which suggests I wasn’t totally put off by them either. Even more confusingly I know a number of the songs from Lost Sides and I’m certain I didn’t buy that but maybe someone I knew had it. Tbf it’s quite hard to remember as I had a lot going on at that point in my life and they weren’t particularly part of the soundtrack to those events.

All meaning that I came to this with a fairly open mind having not listened to them much/at all for a fair while. I was pleasantly surprised. I don’t think it qualifies as all killer no filler but unlike others I do think it’s a decent set of songs beyond the obvious singles. Some tracks need a few more listens to get into compared to the more immediate tracks but I think where some people are hearing dourness, I’m hearing a bit of a change of pace and some subtlety that I’m enjoying in tracks like Satellites and Friday’s Dust. Listening to this from a distance, I’m slightly surprised they didn’t make more of an impact on me at the time though I was just coming out of my era of buying stupid amounts of music, certainly more than I could sensibly consume.

It also strikes me that they were interesting enough to warrant a higher profile than they’ve had in the ensuing years but the fact that they are back together and doing new stuff suggests there’s still an audience for them. I listened to their more recent album and though it’s no huge departure from the previous formula, unlike others I think their sound has weathered pretty well and maybe matured a bit. I think the comments about the mix and production on this are justified but per my previous post I have no recollection of thinking that at the time when I was using solid mid-range equipment and I do think this suffers from being listened to in a format it’s not been engineered for.

I hovered between a 7 and an 8 and the curmudgeon in me wants to downgrade it for their part in what turned out to be a pretty miserable afternoon in May 2003; but it’s hardly their fault we performed to (our then) type! Also, in comparison to some recent nominations it’s been a fairly easy pick to live with and enjoy. So, it's a 7.5 for me.

I really enjoyed this, both as an album and as a prompt to look back at some of my old listening patterns.

I had this album in my collection, but not only have I not listened to it in 20+ years, but I didn't really remember much of it from then either. I seem to remember more of their first album, which I liked at the time. Then for some reason, didn't get into this one, and didnt follow the band beyond that any more.

Maybe it didn't live up to the expectation (or more like the tone) of their first. Maybe they kinda got lost in what in those years was a tide of indie bands. Or maybe Coldplay ruined it for everyone, going big with their atmospheric pop. Maybe I just lacked attention span back then, who knows.

Anyway, here I am, a bit older, and it sat really well with me. I like the overall feel of it, a bit subdued, but not outright dour. A bir pop-rocky at times, without ever fully going for convention or high energy. Sure, a couple songs felt like they weren't going anywhere, but most had a simple theme, and built and built on it. The middle of the album was probably its stongest for me. There goes the fear is an obvious hit, but I preferred songs like N.Y, Satellites. Friday's dust had really good instrumental elements, but in comparison to the rest, almost felt like it was trying too hard. Pounding had a really strong beat through it, and caught by the river a good finish.

Overall a good solid 8 musically. Would feel uneasy not giving an obvious point for being blues, so a 9 all in. Will likely see what else they got up to beyond this, and I notice elsewhere they are back recording so will look for that too.

As someone that squeezes every last drop of listening to Album of the Week, a lot of the times someone has stolen my thunder on reviews - this being one of them.
I really can't add more.

Quality album. i'll go 8

Doves are one that I have never really listened to before...and it did indeed take me back to my University days and "Indie" gigs. So simply from that point it took me back to happier more carefree times which has to be a good thing. After all isnt music meant to take us away from the mundanity of everyday life?
The intro did almost take me back to my own suggestion the other week and then it went into "Words" which did make me immediately think of the "shoegazing", the addition of a hammond would have made this an Charlatans track.
I did like "There Goes The Fear" with me thinking the singer sounded abit like the singer from "Embrace" and a nice samabaesque ending.
Like so many I thought I caught little bits of other bands in there, David Gray on "NY", Emrace again on "Satellites", Elbow on "Caught By The River" .
Other little bits I liked were the woodwind on "Fridays Dust", even though I thought it not the strongest on the album the use of the wood did make it interesting. Similar with "M62 Song" being more acoustic with almost a lo-fi feel to it.
Stand outs for me were "Pounding", "There Goes The Fear", "NY" & Satellites".
Enjoyable, I did wonder about taking away a point for the Man City connection...but in the end just went for a solid 6 from the Derry jury

As someone that squeezes every last drop of listening to Album of the Week, a lot of the times someone has stolen my thunder on reviews - this being one of them.
I really can't add more.

Quality album. i'll go 8
I know you and a few others like to post reviews on Wednesdays, which is fine.

However, I'll take this opportunity to point out that it's my nomination this week, and as I'm going to Lisbon next Wednesday, I'll need to do the roundup and changeover about 10.00AM at the latest next Wednesday.

I'll do several reminders during the week, but as it's my own nomimnation, if I miss out on some points, so be it.

I know you and a few others like to post reviews on Wednesdays, which is fine.

However, I'll take this opportunity to point out that it's my nomination this week, and as I'm going to Lisbon next Wednesday, I'll need to do the roundup and changeover about 10.00AM at the latest next Wednesday.

I'll do several reminders during the week, but as it's my own nomimnation, if I miss out on some points, so be it.
I'll put my low score in on Tuesday then...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.