The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I recently returned from a big boys fishing trek and sharing the car with others needed an impressive play list to keep them awake/inspired/amused.

I put together 2. This threads top 10 albums and a playlist 11-20 from the chart on page 1.
I am now considered the coolest kid in town as each playlist was considered full of fantastic music and wonderfully varied. Favourites from the trip were JJ Cale, Frightened Rabbit, Rodriquez along with the more familiar Beatles, Stones and Thin Lizzy.
Least favourite were King Crimson and Rush. ( just not the right audience).

Far better than the usual shite that gets inflicted on my ears. Queens greatest hits indeed.

Blue moon - influencing musical tastes in the land and all the world.

We're not even a day into this pick and it's doing my head in. Not the album itself which has some merits if you park it's cynicism and lack of authenticity. But because I've been reminded of the absolute torrent of garbage that is written about it and the associated baggage that comes with it; such as unanswerable questions like why is Jonny Greenwood lauded to the heavens when someone like Dominic Miller is ignored? Why do people say the lyrics and themes are prescient or profound but when you ask them to explain a bit more they can't actually articulate any proper detail? Why can't Thom Yorke be arsed to follow an idea through to a cogent conclusion? When did absorbing a few influences and bringing them together sometimes successfully sometimes not, constitute "reinventing rock"? I don't hate this album (at least not for purely musical reasons) but I do hate all the arseholes with a 2:2 in English Lit from Keele or wherever, who wrote rainforests worth of total shite about it.

It's put me in a foul enough mood to score it now. If I was scoring this purely as a few pieces of music I'd probably give it a 6 maybe a 5 because theres some interesting ideas on it with some decent playing; but i've been told plenty of times this is in effect an important piece of art. So it's getting scored as such and it's getting compared in terms of it's intent and execution against the likes of Guernica. And on that basis it's getting 1/10 because it's devoid of any artistic integrity.

Gonna go and listen to the playlist as I really do need to chill out now.
So it gets a 5 musically but then you've paid attention to all the detritus surrounding the album/ band and given it a 1/10.

That's probably a bit worse than having a 2:2 from Keele.

I recently returned from a big boys fishing trek and sharing the car with others needed an impressive play list to keep them awake/inspired/amused.

I put together 2. This threads top 10 albums and a playlist 11-20 from the chart on page 1.
I am now considered the coolest kid in town as each playlist was considered full of fantastic music and wonderfully varied. Favourites from the trip were JJ Cale, Frightened Rabbit, Rodriquez along with the more familiar Beatles, Stones and Thin Lizzy.

Far better than the usual shite that gets inflicted on my ears. Queens greatest hits indeed.

Just wait until we (hopefully) win the league on Sunday. Considering the rich musical heritage of this city, it beggars belief some of the utter shite that comes out of the stadium speakers.

As an additional comment to my earlier answer, I feel like I've learned a lot by getting stuck into the music threads on here these last few years.

Whilst I still have my favourites and inherent biases, I have listened to some wonderful new (actually old!) music.

I always used to have the feeling that if I missed something in years gone by, I wasn't too interested now - I would always concentrate on albums released in the last year or two, trying to pick up genuinely new music every year.

However, I spend a lot of time listening to stuff recommended or posted on here, whether it's from the 70s, 80s or 90s or any decade.

Even when I don't like an album, at least I can say I have listened to it, and each new listen helps to put my own favourites into some kind of context.

As an additional comment to my earlier answer, I feel like I've learned a lot by getting stuck into the music threads on here these last few years.

Whilst I still have my favourites and inherent biases, I have listened to some wonderful new (actually old!) music.

I always used to have the feeling that if I missed something in years gone by, I wasn't too interested now - I would always concentrate on albums released in the last year or two, trying to pick up genuinely new music every year.

However, I spend a lot of time listening to stuff recommended or posted on here, whether it's from the 70s, 80s or 90s or any decade.

Even when I don't like an album, at least I can say I have listened to it, and each new listen helps to put my own favourites into some kind of context.
It has certainly broadened my musical palette Rob and I’m sure you have all our thanks for facilitating that.

So it gets a 5 musically but then you've paid attention to all the detritus surrounding the album/ band and given it a 1/10.

That's probably a bit worse than having a 2:2 from Keele.

Fair comment and I unreservedly apologise to any Keele alumni irrespective of course or classification. I've paid attention to all the detritus round this album because i'm of the view they are complicit with it part of the package. Also this is regularly touted as one of the greatest albums ever made, ie an important cultural artifact so I'm judging it as such.

Plenty of people have said on this thread that they can see why someone else would like an album but they don't personally want to listen to it and that's the basis they've scored it on. Why should this be any different?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.