The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts. I’ve never really got the Muse comparisons, although there clearly are for me.
Yes we raised this when we had that album didn't we. I felt exactly the same. The only comparable similarities for me were they are both skinny pointy looking dudes with odd haircuts, and with high (arguably whiny) not particularly masculine voices. Maybe the fact they like to hold their guitars a bit high. Possibly also that after a handful of good albums, both went a bit shit.

But yea, beyond a crass surface level, never got the comparisons.

Like Rob I can say that I have never listened to any Radiohead album in its entirety...and after my first listen to this I can honestly say that I dont think I have missed much. Nothing grabbed me, a couple of interesting tracks but I shall give it the required 2 extra listens.

Just had this image of @FogBlueInSanFran & @threespires being backed into a corner as the mob closes in...Butch & Sundance perhaps shot down in a blaze of Paranoid Android

Like Rob I can say that I have never listened to any Radiohead album in its entirety...and after my first listen to this I can honestly say that I dont think I have missed much. Nothing grabbed me, a couple of interesting tracks but I shall give it the required 2 extra listens.

Just had this image of @FogBlueInSanFran & @threespires being backed into a corner as the mob closes in...Butch & Sundance perhaps shot down in a blaze of Paranoid Android

At least they both know exactly why they dislike it. Which is more than can be said for many of us here at times, including me.

Their stances are not some off the cuff flippant dismissals based on momentary mood, attempting to be witty while missing the mark. And they do make for interesting discussion.

One thing I will say for this album, one listen in.

Putting aside whether it moves you or not, whether it lives up to its hype, whether it borrows, invents, is truthful or an act, and all that..

You absolutely can Not fault its delivery. Its production and execution are borderline flawless.

Its influence, even if second hand, on so many bands, many of which I happen to really like is also pretty evident and hard to argue.

I didn’t understand your claim that there was a market for artistic criticism and I don’t give a rat’s arse what anyone else thinks about my tastes.

I've never in my life taken stock of what someone who is paid to listen to an album writes about it.

Who cares? Trust your own judgement.
I disagree with both of these comments - in the main.

I agree that in terms of how much you enjoy an album, you shouldn't give a damn what others think, especially somebody who you don't even know.

However, nobody exists in a vaccum - I find it interesting to see what other people have to say about the music I like. Not as some form of validation, but to see where there is agreement and if there are things they can point out that I may have missed.

As for music critics, they play a vital role. Nobody has time to listen to everything ever released, so why not let somebody do the filtering for you? Plus, by not reading reviews, you miss out on some witty critical putdowns.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.