The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

@Coatigan you've managed to get an 8 out of bimbo and fog in the same week. if I were you I'd take the plaudits, announce my retirement and move to Costa rica or somewhere nice like that. Your work here is done mate.
I don't like to focus on people's individual scores but now you've mentioned it, my thoughts on seeing Bimbo's score were: how the hell can you torpedo one great album after another and then give this week's pick an 8?

if I was drinking single malt at 2am The Streets may have sounded musical!!

A win's a win!

(Makes note for nomination of Insane Clown Posse - provide instruction for which alcohol/narcotics to consume before listening)

Last edited:
I don't like to focus on people's individual scores but now you've mentioned it, my thoughts on seeing Bimbo's score were: how the hell can you torpedo one great album after another and then give this week's pick an 8?

Music, right! The unpredictability of it all, I agree. It's the voltage I think, that gets folk.

@Coatigan you've managed to get an 8 out of bimbo and fog in the same week. if I were you I'd take the plaudits, announce my retirement and move to Costa rica or somewhere nice like that. Your work here is done mate.

Can I get a hallelujah! The ones from the back now..

Lol I couldn't cope with anything that hard core.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I asked the CIO of a large multi-national whether his lack of empathy towards the people he was unnecessarily laying off was because he was neuro diverse or because he was simply a sociopath; I suggested it would be helpful to know as we could use the answer as input into how we designed his new target operating model.
you are an Accenture consultant with a double barrelled name that wears a flamboyant hat and scarf.
I was that CIO.

There is hope for the younger generation after all.

Belfry might be my new favourite (though Ultra Mono is not their bestest album so I'm having to seriously reconsider this) but you Rob (and I say this absolutely with affection) will always be my favourite musical old reactionary !

In a sea of inconsistent irrational gibbering, mostly by me, you are an island of constancy. When I read your post, I immediately heard Kate Rusby's version of The Village Green Preservation Society (and that is a good thing).

Last edited:
At the moment this album is making me feel queasy but in a disturbingly nice way.

The queasy you get when another peaty single malt is sliding down and you are unsure whether it's a good idea. I mean, it's 2.20am, you really should be in bed but the lure of another is strong. I'll just finish this and be in bed by 2.30. Easy. Your tastebuds are relishing the shooting firework moments that are exploding all around so much that another wee one, and a later bed time, might be on the cards. Nothing going on in the morning anyway. And then it turns, as though that extra malt had pushed it all too far. Such a stupid idea. What was I thinking. I'm nearly 60. I have things wrong with me. I should have gone to bed hours ago. I'm going to feel like shit when daylight comes.
Awake, bleary, and in that mid semi conscious fug you glance at the time. 8.40. Six hours sleep give or take. Not enough, never enough. Bloody whisky. Always gets the blame for my weak willed night time splurges.

A weird album for sure. Listen to it with the right circumstances, see above, and it's a fantastic mood matcher. Middle of the afternoon, sun beating down, fan assistance hardly working, tea on the go and it's a completely different beast. But I like completely different beasts.

I'm also getting the delicious disjointedness of Faith No More at their peak. And that's a very good thing.

8/10
is the 8/10 for the album or the Bunnahabhain?

Along with our records by Bad//Dreems, Drive By Truckers and Lucinda Williams (whose album I already knew had received rave reviews from critics at-large), this is the best find on the thread — just a little better than Fatima Mansions (another very good one)
Just an idea, but one week when we are short of a proposer, we should identify our top ten 'finds' from this thread. It would be interesting how many were common and what came out on top for popularity. What do you think @RobMCFC ?

you are an Accenture consultant with a double barrelled name that wears a flamboyant hat and scarf.
I was that CIO.

I was once in a meeting with a client and an accenture principal where the fact that anyone not employed by one of their 2 biggest suppliers were being removed from the estate came up as an issue. The client suggested that to address this I joined accenture. There was a tense moment of silence and then me and the accenture guy both burst out laughing simultaneously. It was like the white-collar geek version of the Goodfellas club scene. In hindsight I was a bit offended that the Accenture laughed slightly harder than me, but then he wasn't wrong.

Btw did the Accenture guy wear a bow tie too? In which case I might know him!

Last edited:
Just an idea, but one week when we are short of a proposer, we should identify our top ten 'finds' from this thread. It would be interesting how many were common and what came out on top for popularity. What do you think @RobMCFC ?
Not a bad idea. @threespires has all the data now so he could probably rustle up a list of everybody's top 10 based purely on points.

I know many like the inter-round guessing game but maybe this time around we could do something based on this instead?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.