The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I genuinely think and have before as well when similar suggestions have been made, that this thread would suffer from a two week format. I think the weekly routine is well oiled and slowing it down might derail that.

That is just my opinion, not resistance or a complaint, a demand or a warning. More than happy to go with whatever is decided and give it a go. Only shareing my thoughts as asked.

I'm of this opinion! I love a weekly Album , I feel i don't have time on other Music threads to participate fully.

however maybe every... 5th week? we could have a week break. would be my thoughts.

Happy to go along with whatever though.

Not been on here long so weight my comments accordingly. I like the one week format primarily because I'm quick to form an opinion and then I'm ready to move on. Not going to kick off and get upset if it does go to two weeks though

I also don't engage in the other music threads - I may feel differently if I was doing everything

I am really good with whatever. I try to do this weekly as my schedule allows and I’m having fun in the song cup, and I wish I had more time for the playlist thread. Hell, I’m embarrassed to admit for the first time in 15+ years I’m actually missing three City matches in a row due to work/travel commitments, so clearly time tightness is going to exist whatever we do. So count me as abstaining — or rather, a vote for either format.

I'm happy to go to with the majority but from a personal preference I'd favour sticking with the weekly rhythm. I actually find the two weeks on the playlist makes it easy to forget about it after the initial flurry when the first 5 are nominated. My three listens don't take me too long and for every album that takes me a bit of time to analyse, another I find quite easy to do a write up.

But that's a selfish viewpoint and I think the issue with keeping it weekly is that it places a lot of emphasis on our esteemed facilitator(s) to do more work. If the consensus is for weekly maybe I and others need get off our derrieres and lend a hand?

I'll still be participaintg anyway so happy whichever way it lands and also happy for Rob to have a bigger say because he does all the heavy lifting.

The only real pain with running the threads is that we can't share the editing abilities for thread titles as the new week ticks over. Coatigan has done a great job in filling in for me when I go on holiday - and I assure you all that I will be going on as many holidays as finance/health allows, as we have been doing for the past few years now - but it always means me trying to keep the thread titles/pages number updates. In truth, this is no big deal, but it would be nice if a few of us had edit privileges across the threads.

I've asked MES about it and he was going to have a word with Ric to I'll ask him again and see where we are with that.

And just to be clear, I absolutely love this thread and everybody's participation and enthusiasm for it.

I'm really hoping that at least some of you can get behind the new thread when it starts because I think it could be a good one, but again, I won't take it personally if you don't because we all have finite limits on our music listening/discussing time.

Not sure if I'll engage with the new thread but then I don't really get what it will look like yet so maybe I will. I can live with this one becoming a two weekly nomination but I think that might be a bit of laziness on my part, or something like that, probably more will suit any avoidance that might arise with some of the tougher picks. Which really leads me to think that if it isn't weekly I might lose disciplone altogether. So, as you were, I think. Or as you like...

Lovers Electric- Lovers Electric

This was a refreshingly uncomplicated pick and listen, from the album title onwards. I mentioned after my first listen that a lot of the songs start unpromisngly and four listens in that remains the same but almost all of them develop into something worthwhile. There's a similar sort of ambivalence I have to her voice which at times sounds a bit flat and lifeless but generally sparks into life as the songs do.

It's generally quite lightweight but actually warrants closer listening as I think these are well constrcuted songs. I'm no expert but I wasn't sure if I was being a little emotionally manipulated by them at times or whether that was just the mood I'm in but what I think I'm trying to say is that there is maybe a bit more substance here than many, including me, have given them credit for.

Before my fourth listen today I was thinking that I would probaly never listen to this again having done my bit for the thread but I'm now minded to keep it and play itagain when the mood takes me.

One or two songs that might be filler but I've heard worse and if they are throwaway efforts then I think they deomonstrate a bit of talent on the part of the songrwiter.

threespires mentioned them becoming poppier on subsequent albums and I don't think I'd want to hear that but this one keeps just the right side of the pop/ indie line for me. It's a good 7

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.