The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

On balance it's only really the what about the babies song and the gated snare on triumph that aggravates me. The lyrics aren't my favourite but it's not terrible. Some of the masculinity in the first half (in the tone of the songs and the lyrics is also a little frustrating).

My main takeaway is I think it's fantastic but there are some moments that I wish I could sit Gary Clarke Jr down for and have him explain to me. It's low key aggravating/frustrating that I don't know why he's made some of the choices he's made on the album and I want to understand those choices.

If the review has come across as negative then that's my poor writing. This is 100% the best album I will ever give a 7 too. I totally understand why it would get higher I just can't give it a higher score
I'll take the @BlueHammer85 route and link this if it may help. I forgot I watched this months ago too, not sure if he addresses your questions/observations because I can't relisten to it now, but all the same...

Good job you weren't around for some of the earlier picks.

One of the reasons I know I'm not suited to politics is that if you asked me what one piece of legislation I would bring in given the chance, I would bin the shedload of educational reforms I think we need in favour of introducing a law that said when an album is released the corresponding dry tracks must be released too so we can decide exactly who is to praise or blame.
I don't normally mind it but I think it's far too noticeable here when the gate kicks in. Pearl Jam apparently hated 10 (it's been reviewed so is relevant) because of how much reverb is on it. It does however hide a multitude of sins and it's rare to hear anything truly dry

That last paragraph was an upbeat end to an otherwise somewhat sad story. Questions of identity are fascinating to me, apparently of the five broad ways we tend to describe our identify, four focus on difference and only one on similarity, yet focus on that one can lead to higher levels of happiness through communality. Shame there are always people willing to focus on the other four ways for profit :-(
I believe human beings are incredibly robust and can survive in even the toughest situations often by using humour or just enjoying the little they they have. I've been to places with incredible poverty and found happy people.

Community is incredibly under valued by lots of people particularly in the west. I think it requires a bit more effort than most Brits are prepared to put in.

I would say I don't find identity super important but I am a proud mancunian and think that means something. Also when I did visit Poland it did mean something that people assumed I was Polish based on how I looked. I guess as much of my identity is "normal" based on the culture I live in that I don't give it much though

Urgh I didn't want homework. I just wanted to talk uninformed rubbish

Thanks I'll put it on in a minute
It wasn't for just you, but more for anyone curious on his process for this. I've usually found these videos helpful when available. Not mandatory, or to be perceived as homework. Just trying to help answer in the artists own words, the RAW vs. anything I could filter (JPEG). ;-)

I believe human beings are incredibly robust and can survive in even the toughest situations often by using humour or just enjoying the little they they have. I've been to places with incredible poverty and found happy people.

Community is incredibly under valued by lots of people particularly in the west. I think it requires a bit more effort than most Brits are prepared to put in.

I would say I don't find identity super important but I am a proud mancunian and think that means something. Also when I did visit Poland it did mean something that people assumed I was Polish based on how I looked. I guess as much of my identity is "normal" based on the culture I live in that I don't give it much though

Loads of evidence that happiness is not a function of the amount of stuff you have but your appreciation of what you do have. Completely agree re community, I feel we've lost it more quickly than many of our peer.countries.

It's quite interesting to be 'the other'. I've been in a few situations where I've been the only white person amongst crowds of hundreds and in at least one instance thousands, including the let me pinch you or please hold my baby so I can get a picture type of situation! (should have charged I'd have made a mint as once you foolishly do it for one person loads of people appear out of nowhere with more babies lol) It's interesting though that the only times I've ever been personally attacked either physically or verbally for my identity has been by other white people who either didn't like my politics or the faith I practiced. In contexts where you are prepared for it and expect it that's sort of ok, but I was once caught off guard by what was only verbal but quite nasty bigotry in supposedly progressive Sweden and it gave me the tiniest insight into what it must be like to be hated simply for who you are and it's stuck with me over the years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.