The Album Review Club - Week #142 - (page 1874) - Strange Times - The Chameleons

Gary Clark Jr. - JPEG Raw

Too many other tracks just don't really go anywhere especially the final few, 'Funk Witch U' 'Triump' and 'Habits' - 'Habits' would actually be a lovely song if they chopped the final 4 minutes off.
Chop off the payoff on "Habits"?? I wouldn't have nominated this album if not for THAT.

Surprised there's been more discussion on a collaborative song I enjoy all well enough, but it wasn't the clincher by far for putting this selection up, especially as it pertains to the lyrics.

I get that some aren't feeling it, but I'm taking Gary at his word on the honesty he puts forth in that closer, which all ties in the theme of the album of showing the unfiltered vs. the filtered. The early part of the song is just as crucial for me enjoying the guitar led ending of the release to the build up.

Chop off the payoff on "Habits"?? I wouldn't have nominated this album if not for THAT.

Surprised there's been more discussion on a collaborative song I enjoy all well enough, but it wasn't the clincher by far for putting this selection up, especially as it pertains to the lyrics.

I get that some aren't feeling it, but I'm taking Gary at his word on the honesty he puts forth in that closer, which all ties in the theme of the album of showing the unfiltered vs. the filtered. The early part of the song is just as crucial for me enjoying the guitar led ending of the release to the build up.

just a bit too overblown for me and dragged on for ages.

A good nomination from @Black&White&BlueMoon Town that generated plenty of talking points both musically and lyrically. Gary Clark Jr's JPEG Raw snagged 15 voters and scored a respectable average of 6.67.

As we hurtle towards the end of the round, it turns out that @shackattack is sunning himself on a beach in Tenerife.
But fear not, he has posted his choice to me, so some cryptic clues of my own devising coming up in the next post.

Clues

Would it help if I told you this band was from the same town that I spent the first 25 years of my life in?
(That's my life, not shackattack's, by the way).

Probably not, so I'll tell you that it's also the home of a famous comedian/actor, Brian Kidd used to live up the road from me and Paul Scholes played in the same Sunday league team as my brother.

As for the album, it was released in the year I first got into rock and pop - and I've definitely mentioned that 3 or 4 times in this thread.

Noel Gallagher cites this album as an influence on his songwriting.

You keep admiring the things I find faulty :) you cant posit the idea that the album is raw and unfiltered and end with a song about a bad habit without being more explicit about what those faults are. The whole album talks about how unfiltered it is without saying anything more than people are poor and people have bad habits.

Clues

Would it help if I told you this band was from the same town that I spent the first 25 years of my life in?
(That's my life, not shackattack's, by the way).

Probably not, so I'll tell you that it's also the home of a famous comedian/actor, Brian Kidd used to live up the road from me and Paul Scholes played in the same Sunday league team as my brother.

As for the album, it was released in the year I first got into rock and pop - and I've definitely mentioned that 3 or 4 times in this thread.

Noel Gallagher cites this album as an influence on his songwriting.
I'm thinking something by the Verve

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.