The Album Review Club - Week #142 - (page 1874) - Strange Times - The Chameleons

Have just tried to dive straight into the new nomination but having spent the last couple of days listening to the likes of Kiwanuka, Black Pumas, Keb Mo and similar it's too jarring a leap.

For reasons I've never understood Dylan works for me as a musical palate cleanser/firebreak, so I've got the Budokan album we reviewed on - I'd forgotten how entertainingly wacky some of the arrangements were!

The US version of Strange Times was a double vinyl album. The second disc was tracks that appeared on the 12" of singles released in the UK and a few tracks recorded at the same time as the album including a fantastic version of Tomorrow Never Knows. These 12" tracks are miles better than some of the weaker tracks on the first disc. Particularly Paradiso and Inside Out.
The first disc has an acoustic version of Tears which was released as a single months earlier in full electric form. Probably their best song and a total classic that deserves to be much better known.
Its not my favourite Chameleons album as songs like Childhood, Seriocity and even the fan favourite Caution steer a bit close to being filler for me whereas the previous two albums had no filler.
Mad Jack , Soul In Isolation, In Answer , Time and Swamp Thing though put this album way ahead of most long players

My mates were mad on The Chameleons back in the day and I just couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. I thought they were boring. Like a lot on here I’m sure, I did once meet Mark Burgess when he worked at the ticket office, although I initially didn’t realise who he was. It has been almost 40 years now, so I’ll give it a listen later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.