The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Yeah, fair dos. Personal preference and all that.

I have a deep love for the back catalogues of INXS and Midnight Oil - glad you are enjoying the compilation by the way.

Whilst I don't have that same knowledge of AC/DC, I've heard enough to know that they made the same album pretty much every time. I'm quite happy with just "Back in Black", "Highway to Hell", "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", "It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock n Roll" and "Thunderstruck" and I probably don't need anything else!

I agree that objectively they are the biggest Aussie act.

AC/DC make the same song every time ;-) but my love for them has grown over the years and I have all their albums. I have several INXS ones too and saw them live a couple of times.

AC/DC make the same song every time ;-) but my love for them has grown over the years and I have all their albums. I have several INXS ones too and saw them live a couple of times.
Finally I can say I've seen an act more times than you then - three times for me!

Reactions: OB1
Moving Pictures - Rush

Although their approaches to rock are wildly different, both Rush and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have similar trajectories in my own musical journey. I owned 2 or 3 of their albums in the late 80s\early 90s, I enjoyed listening to them, but neither were anywhere near my top 10 and I didn’t feel the need to investigate their back catalogue. Seems crazy now, but there you go.

In both cases it took me a long time to appreciate their respective genius: for Tom Petty, it was seeing the best music documentary ever made (Running Down A Dream) and in the case of Rush, reading Q Magazine on a flight to Gran Canaria. There was an interview with producer Nick Raskulinecz, who was talking about their new album, Snakes and Ladders (2007) and I decided it sounded like a decent buy. Crucially, I decided to make it a double purchase, along with Spirit of Radio – a compilation that covers the years 1974 – 1987.

I mention this because it’s crucial to my view on Moving Pictures, but I’ll just finish off by saying that in the years since that purchase I have listened to Rush’s entire back catalogue via Spotify and bought a good number of their albums. My favourites, weirdly, are Hold Your Fire and Clockwork Angels plus their more generally accepted highpoints 2112 and A Farewell to Kings.

No Moving Pictures you say? Well, yes and no. The thing about that Spirit of Radio compilation is that it’s a near-perfect track selection – almost every one of the 16 tracks is pretty much the best cuts from their respective albums (OK, no “Xanadu” but the running time was probably a bit long for a best of, and I’d have chosen one or more of the excellent shorter tracks from 2112, but these are minor quibbles). Moving Pictures gets three tracks: “Tom Sawyer”, “Red Barchetta” and “Limelight” and each of these tracks is superb. I love them all: the brooding synths on “Tom Swayer”, the unbridled joy of the rhythm and power chords in “Red Barchetta” and the crunchy brilliance of “Limelight” – you can play them all ten times in a row without getting bored.

The problem for me is the drop-off between these three and the other four. “YYZ” is a decent instrumental with some nice Middle-Eastern-influenced guitar, and I must admit that I enjoyed “Witch Hunt” and “Vital Signs” on this last listen more than I have ever done before, but “The Camera Eye” still feels like a waste of ten minutes. But nevertheless, I just can’t listen to these four tracks with anything like the enthusiasm I do for the best three.

I can understand why some will be put off by Geddy Lee’s vocals, it’s certainly an acquired taste, but it doesn’t bother me as much as whiny indie vocalists. At the same time, I’m always amazed that Rush’s technical brilliance seems to count against them. Whilst they have their longer self-indulgent tracks that don’t always come off, songs like “Red Barchetta”, “Limelight”, “Time Stand Still” and “Closer to the Heart” (amongst many others) have great melodies, thumping drums, groovy bass and joyous chords that mean you don’t have to be Chopin to get them.

Hearing the three tracks on the compilation has clearly skewed the way I listen to and appreciate Rush and this album in particular. If I’d have been in from the start like @OB1, I would probably have had a different view, but as it is, Moving Pictures has some tremendous plusses, a few solid songs and a few negatives, but 8/10 feels right for this.

Like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Rush don’t have a single album that would be in my top 20 or 30 (maybe a couple of Tom Petty’s solo albums). Their best material is scattered across their entire catalogue, but both bands have produced so much superb material over the years that they both deserve their places on a very short list of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Sorry Bill but I watched part of a Yes documentary very recently and Bruford pissed me off with his comments and how he came across.

BTW, I never said he had zero drumming personality, I said he lacked it from my point of view. Maybe it's not a great description but it's what I've got. I've seen him live a couple of times but never came away thinking wow or much of anything about him. Not being noticed as drummer and complementing the music is not a bad thing. BB wouldn't be in my top ten favourite drummers, regardless of how good he is. Chris Squire and Wakeman are both top 3 for me on their instruments. Anderson was in my top 10 vocalists in the recent poll.
I would triple like this post.
Bruford was very condescending about Yes music in the main.

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.