The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I have been familiar with this collection of tone poems for some years and I like it very much.
I believe that Smetana met the composer Liszt and was greatly influenced in his use of tone poems.
The tone poem (also called symphonic poem) is a purely orchestral work in a single movement, which tells a story, or is otherwise intended to represent in sound, or a specific mood.
As Knaresborough has already alluded to....This work is a collection of 6 such tone poems.
For instance...The second and best-known tone poem, Vltava sounds like brooks and streams trickling, bubbling, splashing, and converging into still larger tributaries and at last swelling into the Vtlava itself.

Smetena composed the work as a paean to the Czech nation at the stage in his life when his musical activities had become restricted by the onset of deafness. Nevertheless, however this loss of hearing may have influenced his work as a composer, this symphony can be mesmerizing. Indeed, it often has been so. My Country is not music that people either love or hate; but rather, listeners tend either to like or to love the symphony. There really is little here that's not to like, and there's certainly a lot to love.
This is a great choice and I encourage everyone to carry on listening to this. You will be rewarded.
7/10

Last edited:
Firstly let me state I am a philistine when it comes to classical music , I have never listened to an album or been to a concert.The only time I get to hear any is on soundtracks to films.This was always going to be a difficult listen and I was not looking forward to it, however after hearing it for the first time I can understand the passion it evokes in fans.The music is stirring and emotive.
thanks Knaresborough for widening my musical tastes
7/10

Firstly let me state I am a philistine when it comes to classical music , I have never listened to an album or been to a concert.The only time I get to hear any is on soundtracks to films.This was always going to be a difficult listen and I was not looking forward to it, however after hearing it for the first time I can understand the passion it evokes in fans.The music is stirring and emotive.
thanks Knaresborough for widening my musical tastes
7/10
It sounds to me that you are a candidate for hearing this (as @crublue1 was) its only 4 minutes long but worth every penny :)

Headphones on...

Sadly I have no time with work, kid stuff and travel to write much. I have some other thoughts but want to get my score in in time. I did enjoy this, and it's a pleasant diversion, but don't have enough classical music context to know what it is like relative to other pieces. I agree that's it is stirring and I can see why it would stick in one's heart, evocative as it is supposed to be of the Bohemian landscape and its legends. 6/10.

A good effort this week. As a collective, classical music is obviously not something that we know a great deal about, a few members aside, but 14 people have given Má Vlast a listen. The average score of 6.5 makes it the lowest ranked album so far, but it's not a million miles off the pace. Thanks to @KnaresboroughBlue for nominating something different.

Next up is @Onholiday(somemightsay), who sent me the details of his nomination last week, so I'll be posting it tomorrow morning. I think I may have already dropped a subtle hint in the other thread last week, so the only further clue I'll give is 11/06/63.

was just about to do mine!

a bit like @FogBlueInSanFran I didn't had much time but managed to listen to this last night and on way to work this morning

I'm way out of my depth with Classical Music as been bought up on a diet of Pop and Rock so this was all a different world for me - but I admit I found some beauty here, and the quiet interchanges in the mix really work - some lovely build up to a crescendo (in a similar way to how I felt listening to Sigur Ros)

I wouldn't begin to understand the creativity involved and the artists national pride involved in this and I just can't get in the mindsight of visualizing the beauty of rivers, trees, buildings etc in bohemia based on the sound of classical music.
still, it sounded nice on the ear, better than I expected and I will try and give it a few more listens to understand.

Great pick.

5/10

was just about to do mine!

a bit like @FogBlueInSanFran I didn't had much time but managed to listen to this last night and on way to work this morning

I'm way out of my depth with Classical Music as been bought up on a diet of Pop and Rock so this was all a different world for me - but I admit I found some beauty here, and the quiet interchanges in the mix really work - some lovely build up to a crescendo (in a similar way to how I felt listening to Sigur Ros)

I wouldn't begin to understand the creativity involved and the artists national pride involved in this and I just can't get in the mindsight of visualizing the beauty of rivers, trees, buildings etc in bohemia based on the sound of classical music.
still, it sounded nice on the ear, better than I expected and I will try and give it a few more listens to understand.

Great pick.

5/10
Go on then, I'll update the scoreboard. It's moved from 6.5 exactly to 6.4 exactly.

A good effort this week. As a collective, classical music is obviously not something that we know a great deal about, a few members aside, but 14 people have given Má Vlast a listen. The average score of 6.5 makes it the lowest ranked album so far, but it's not a million miles off the pace. Thanks to @KnaresboroughBlue for nominating something different.

Next up is @Onholiday(somemightsay), who sent me the details of his nomination last week, so I'll be posting it tomorrow morning. I think I may have already dropped a subtle hint in the other thread last week, so the only further clue I'll give is 11/06/63.
I think I’ve got it. That would be the day of a certain heroic/tragic event depicted on the cover of the record.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.