The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

That's cool.
It's from the Turkey holidays advert on the TV. I was so intrigued about it I had to look it up. That full version is just sensational - not the stuff I usually listen to but the way he's mixed the beats with the stringed instruments and keyboards to create that is fantastic. AFAIK, iy's only on YouTube - might have to rip an MP3 track from that.

Anyway, apologies in advance for what's to come.

Ahead of my review, to prove that I can appreciate "club" music when done properly, check out this gem (pity it wasn't on Spotify last time I checked).

If this isn't three and a half minutes of banjo samples I'm going to be disappointed.

Surrender – The Chemical Brothers

@BlueHammer85: Did you discover this lot before or after Dylan, The Beatles and Oasis?

When reviewing Leonard Cohen’s Death of a Ladies’ Man on this thread, I said that I had “utmost respect for anybody who can listen to this more than once. This is anti-music.” Well, I’ve saved myself the bother of thinking too much about what to write here because all of that applies again.

However, unlike Cohen’s effort, there’s no flat, dull singing, no embarrassing and misogynistic lyrics and no awful production! In fact, I even recognised and enjoyed (a relative term, obviously) the song “Let Forever Be”. There were a couple of moments in other song where I found myself thinking “that was a clever change of pace”.

Part of my dislike of this album is the lack of proper instruments and that “human performance element”. It’s undoubtedly a great technical achievement, but technological achievement is good in the space race, medical advances and home entertainment, but not in performance art. Obviously, the music comes first, but as I said before, I have to feel that what I’m listening to is from the artists’ heart and has that sense of a real performance with real instruments. There are the occasional “club” tracks that I like (e.g. the sensational Hey! Douglas track I posted above, or the Masterchef p***take by Swedemason) but the tracks on offer here didn’t hit anything like those heights.

A lot of the songs on this album remind me of the “music” that tossers play at two distinct volumes from their car windows (1. Far too loud and 2. Even louder). I have a thing about that, and I think it’s disrespectful. I’ll admit that that has also coloured my response to this album.

’m fine for people to listen to this in a club or at some festival, but if you want to listen to it outside of that, it should be confined to your headphones where you can’t bother anybody else.

I’m glad that I’ve enjoyed some of Blue Hammer’s other selections – I even gave The Smiths a six. But in this case, it’s better than the Leonard Cohen choice but worse than everything else that’s been nominated, so 3/10 it is.

This was a struggle for me as well. I can understand the overall effect of listening live or in a club but sat at home didn’t perhaps create the right environment.
Despite BHs surprise I was another that had not heard the big tune that was referred to - thankfully it passed my delicate Radio 4 ears.
The only track I found moderately pleasant was Let Forever Be which I had heard before but wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to again.
Overall I found it too manufactured and extremely boring. I think it was the first track that had a sound that rather alarmingly reminded of scaling machine at the dentist… not pleasant.
Some might think at 60 I’m a FOC and this genre of music has largely passed me by. Although not exactly the same I am rather partial to a bit of Pendulum and have seen them live a few times, so there is life in the old dog yet.
For this nomination I will split Denis and Rob and go 2/10. There was nothing that grabbed me in any way. Most importantly though was the reasons for BH nominating which is the whole purpose of the thread so kudos for that. Anyone fancy some thrash metal for my next pick? ;)

Speaking of highly rated bands that get under one's skin, listened to the new Foo Fighters album yet?

I will give it a genuine go, again. In wishful deaperate hope to avoid the disappointment of the last few, too soon to tell yet. Josh Freese on drums.
Josh Freese on live stuff. Mr G played all the drums on the album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.