The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

Without looking at the scores I assume the distribution was pretty tight? Which would chime with I think both it's strengths and weaknesses. The quality on show was sufficiently high that you'd have to be pretty curmudgeonly to be scoring this poorly. On the other hand because he is so adept at taking from multiple genres it doesn't lean heavily in a single direction so might not 'stir the blood' as Sadds used to say, sufficiently to get into the highest scores. Like last week though nice to have something less divisive than other recent picks.

Muse on the other hand may well put us back in polarised territory!?
Correct - everything between 6 and 8.

Cheers Rob - enjoy your break!

Firstly, apologies to those who enjoy the suspense of the guessing aspect of the thread. I’ve never mastered posting pics on here and my grasp of cryptic crosswords is poor at best. With respect therefore, I will just dive straight in.

Muse don’t seem to get much air time on this thread. I’m expecting this to be a controversial choice so I’ll put my cards on the table and say I’m not now a huge fan. Their general popularity is without question with seven consecutive releases topping the UK album charts.

I think it’s a sign that age is creeping up on you when you utter the words - I used to like them back in the day but I don’t like their new stuff.

I used to love Muse back in the day. Their first two studio albums are immense. For me Absolution is the pinnacle of their output. It showcases some amazing musicianship and the wide range of their creativity.

Love him or hate him Matt Bellamy is musical genius. His guitar playing is incredible and his sound unique. He’s not too bad on the piano, and in Jaded Hearts Club he plays bass.

I first saw them touring this album at Earls Court following their iconic performance on the pyramid stage in the summer of 2004 - which in itself is worthy of a watch on YouTube. Their energy and connection with the audience was amazing and it remains one of the best gigs I’ve experienced.

Absolution is a very varied, emotional roller coaster of a listen. The highs for me are Hysteria, Time Is Running Out and Stockholm Syndrome on the heavier side and the amazing Butterflies and Hurricanes which highlights Bellamy’s musical capabilities.

The follow up to Absolution was the more popular Black Holes and Revelations which had a few more ‘popular’ hits. We were at the Wembley gig which was released as the HAARP album but as good as that was it highlighted (for me) a shift to the more popular stuff that they went on to put out which quite frankly IMHO is shit. Give me heavy, give me Plug In Baby, Muscle Museum and all the old stuff any day of the week.

Interestingly given Rob’s piano heavy pick, Absolution has its fair share of ivory tinkling - he likes a bit of Rachmaninov! I hope this generates some chat - love it or hate it.

Muse - Absolution

I would argue this is their last good album. It was all downhill from there.
Showbiz was excellent, and imo really fresh at the time. And I always hated them being compared to Radiohead. Not for a dislike of RH, just didn't see the similarly, beyond a surface passing comment. Origin of Symmetry was arguably even better, but I held showbiz dearer. Absolution was the commercial success, the big hits, the sold out big arenas and the name making it fairly mainstream. After that, I found it a struggle unfortunately, with one or two good songs per album not really being worthwhile for me.

In many ways it was their Only Revolutions, except they never managed to recover from it the way Biff did.

I will enjoy re-visiting it. Then probably stick on the previous two halfway through ;)

What's happened to Mr Fog.

I've just mentioned Radiohead in my last post, and now this, so one more and we will beetlejuice him to the thread!

Joking aside, hopefully all ok.

Been watching Loudermilk recently, and every time he goes on his musical critiques I half imagine that being Fog.

Last edited:
I would argue this is their last good album. It was all downhill from there.
Showbiz was excellent, and imo really fresh at the time. And I always hated them being compared to Radiohead. Not for a dislike of RH, just didn't see the similarly, beyond a surface passing comment. Origin of Symmetry was arguably even better, but I held showbiz dearer. Absolution was the commercial success, the big hits, the sold out big arenas and the name making it fairly mainstream. After that, I found it a struggle unfortunately, with one or two good songs per album not really being worthwhile for me.

In many ways it was their Only Revolutions, except they never managed to recover from it the way Biff did.

I will enjoy re-visiting it. Then probably stick on the previous two halfway through ;)
Completely agree with your sentiments. I really dislike what Muse are today given their early stuff is so magnificent. I’m expecting some differing reviews for this :)

I've just mentioned Radiohead in my last post, and now this, so one more and we will beetlejuice him to the thread!

Joking aside, hopefully all ok.

Been watching Loudermilk recently, snd every time he goes on his musical critiques I half imagine that being Fog.
Just finished Series (can’t use the season word!!) 3 - I think he’s a shoe in!!

Completely agree with your sentiments. I really dislike what Muse are today given their early stuff is so magnificent. I’m expecting some differing reviews for this :)

Not least some division on the vocals, shall we say!

Hmmm...Muse.

I like a few of their songs but was wildly disappointed when I saw them at the Olympic Stadium a few years ago. A great visual show but the same thing over and over and over again musically.
Couldn’t agree more Bimbo. Last saw them at the O2 we sat down for the most part and were pretty much the only ones standing for the old stuff.
Hopefully you’ll get something out of this… I’m not expecting you to buy it ;)

Hmmm...Muse.

I like a few of their songs but was wildly disappointed when I saw them at the Olympic Stadium a few years ago. A great visual show but the same thing over and over and over again musically.

Seen them live twice, the last was the Absolution tour. They were fantastic both times, but perhaps a bygone era.

Hmmm...Muse.

I first heard them in 2009 when opening for U2 on their 360 tour. They were touring in support of The Resistance. I enjoyed them enough live that I went back to listen to and get a few of their albums, including this week's selection, which I'm sure I'll be enjoying.

I would agree they do sound repetitive at times, but I do think they've managed to vary things too, and their live albums have been really enjoyable for me too!

Great pick, @GornikDaze!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.