The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

One of the best write ups we've had.

I took against Supergrass solely on the basis of Alright, a song I really can't stand. Over the years people have said to me give them a go they're really good and you'll like them. I've always said yeah ok I'll get round to it at some point. Well now some point is here!

Hang on, have we binned the guessing bit ? It's an outrage!!

They are a fab band, their singles light the fires in you everytime. I've seen them live a couple of times and they are so powerful and together live, they take the songs to next level.

Thanks to @GoatersLeftShin for the post and the story behind it, a very sobering thought of how fragile life is. I'm off to Spotify to have a night of Supergrass. :)

A great debut album from a talented band of mates, who seemed to be in it for the laughs more than anything.
The "alright" vid with the Raleigh choppers, the sense of humour and great tunes was refreshing.
The drummer was Chris goffeys lad, (old top gear presenter) and the singer sung like he didn't really care what he sounded like.
I'd say they were a pop garage band, and I don't mean that in a disparaging way, far from it.
I still listen to this album, and it always puts a smile on my face.
I'm in early with a solid 9
Great pick too.

One of the best write ups we've had.

I took against Supergrass solely on the basis of Alright, a song I really can't stand. Over the years people have said to me give them a go they're really good and you'll like them. I've always said yeah ok I'll get round to it at some point. Well now some point is here!

Hang on, have we binned the guessing bit ? It's an outrage!!
Same here.I cannot think of another song by them.
Interesting week ahead.
Will take Alright off the album no need to listen once far less more.

So this pick is already a good example of why I pretty much always get something out of this thread.

I've put this on for my first listen and though there's nothing as remotely annoying as Alright I still wasn't feeling it, partly because of my whole Britpop/mid 90s awol thing, and partly for other reasons I can't yet put my finger on.

Anyway, when the pick went up someone mentioned Gaz Coombes's solo career and I thought I'm sure I've heard some of his stuff (maybe on the playlist thread?) so I had a look and sure enough I recognised the cover of World's Strongest Man - so I stuck it on and really enjoyed it, likewise with a few quick samples of his other solos albums. Quite different from the nomination but shows that he's no mug, so I think I might see if I can work my way backwards to get a better appreciation of the nomination; but even if that doesn't work out I'll have added some of his solo stuff to my listening diet so it'll be a win.

One thing I'm relatively sure of even if I do develop an appreciation of the pick, and there are some tracks that I can see I could get into, at no point am I going to think Alright is a good use of 3 minutes of my life :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.