The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I Should Coco - Supergrass

Like quite a few others, with the exception of the ubiquitous “Alright”, I’ve never listened to their music.

Listening to the first three songs, you get the impression that the band have been held against their will and then force-fed steroids for a week before having the doors of their prison flung wide open. Songs with lots of energy and frenetic playing. Somebody mentioned that Gaz Coombes was 19 when this was released and that explains a lot.

I wouldn’t have liked this album when I was 19 as by that time, I’d already gravitated to music played by middle-aged men with everyday concerns, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it doesn’t really hit home with me now that I’m in my mid-50s.

However, there are some good songs that show a bit more craft as the album progresses. “Lose It” starts with a really nice garage rock sound, but the band are in danger of losing me when Gaz Coombes appears to get his knackers caught in the door whilst performing the vocals. Better still is “Lenny”, regardless of whether there’s a cheeky lift from “Whole Lotta Love” in terms of the riff.

“Strange Ones”, despite its forced-punk-vocal in parts has a refreshing change of pace in between the choruses and “Sitting Up Straight” has a similar vibe resulting in a passable two-minute guitar workout.

“Sofa (Of My Lethargy)” provides room for the band to stretch out and is much more up my street that the greyhound-out-of-the-traps approach earlier in the album.

I’m summary, there’s a lot of energy, some oddball moments and a few good songs. As others have noted, I suspect that Gaz Coombes has gone on to do much better because I have enjoyed some of his solo efforts that have appeared on the playlist thread. It’s alright and worth 6.5/10.

I love that you take such care over every review. I just don't have the time or the writing skills. Anyway, you often save me a lot of time by having a very similar view of a fair number of albums.

Single aside, I'd never heard this album before, although I do own the follow-up (probably due to a Q review) but I don't think it's been played since the 90's. I discovered it wasn't even loaded on my iTunes so will remedy that and have a listen.

As to Coco, I going to yet again go with 6/10. I wouldn't buy it but if I had, like its successor, I would have kept it.

Some of it was too punky for my taste.

I love that you take such care over every review. I just don't have the time or the writing skills. Anyway, you often save me a lot of time by having a very similar view of a fair number of albums.

Single aside, I'd never heard this album before, although I do own the follow-up (probably due to a Q review) but I don't think it's been played since the 90's. I discovered it wasn't even loaded on my iTunes so will remedy that and have a listen.

As to Coco, I going to yet again go with 6/10. I wouldn't buy it but if I had, like its successor, I would have kept it.

Some of it was too punky for my taste.
Thanks. Part of it is made easier by working on a computer all day. It's easy to spend a few minutes here and there writing stuff down as you listen and then assemble it into something coherent later on.

We do seem to like the same type of music on both the Americana and rock fronts. Speaking of which .....

When I've completed the book I'm currently reading, I'm thinking of buying a book on Led Zeppelin. Your championing of them on the music threads had led me to listening to a good chunk of their albums and I think I'd enjoy reading about their story. I was thinking of Mick Wall's When Giants Walked The Earth. Have you read it or any of the other books?

Reactions: OB1
It’s an album, or maybe a group that grow on me, the more I listen.
I’m off today and supposed to be doing my accounts but find this isn’t the background music to keep your concentration on something as boring.
Even with ‘Alright’ on, I feel like getting up and bopping, rather than printing down boring statements.

What this album has, not withstanding the fact it’s of its time, is youthful exuberance and it shines through in spades.
It’s hard not to like, faults and all.

I still can’t get past a 6, knowing what they came out with after this. But it’s one of the most enjoyable sixes I’ve listened to on here.

It’s not a struggle to put it in each time.

I didn't listen to this album when it came out. It was a time of so many excellent albums. I heard Alright, and while I liked its fun quirky carefree feel at the time, it was overplayed and I just assumed it was a one hit wonder riding on the back of the wider popularity of a musical high.

First impression when I put this on was, I would probably have liked it back in the day, but the current me might think that boat has sailed.

So, I didn't listen to it as current me. I used it as a vehicle to time travel back to an alternate reality and imagine young me listening to it had I given it a go then. And I loved it. And the experience of the whole attempt itself as well, tbf.

Which then got me thinking, do the albums from that era that I think have 'aged well' only do that Because I liked them at the time, and were this me hearing them for the first time, would they have the same issue? So I listened to the album as today's me. And I still really liked it.

Some great stuff on here. Brilliant opener, worthy of the playlist we had elsewhere. Good unrestrained energy to it, doesn't fele like it is written to please, but to express. Feels honest, done for fun and themselves, and just being a good music album for the sake of being a good debut music album. Yeah a bit of repetition but so what. Really enjoyed this.

Only ever gave one 10 before as far as I can remember, and checking back, it was the same nominator. But for a completely different album, of a different era, style and genre. There you go. A 10 from me for this week.

I didn't listen to this album when it came out. It was a time of so many excellent albums. I heard Alright, and while I liked its fun quirky carefree feel at the time, it was overplayed and I just assumed it was a one hit wonder riding on the back of the wider popularity of a musical high.

First impression when I put this on was, I would probably have liked it back in the day, but the current me might think that boat has sailed.

So, I didn't listen to it as current me. I used it as a vehicle to time travel back to an alternate reality and imagine young me listening to it had I given it a go then. And I loved it. And the experience of the whole attempt itself as well, tbf.

Which then got me thinking, do the albums from that era that I think have 'aged well' only do that Because I liked them at the time, and were this me hearing them for the first time, would they have the same issue? So I listened to the album as today's me. And I still really liked it.

Some great stuff on here. Brilliant opener, worthy of the playlist we had elsewhere. Good unrestrained energy to it, doesn't fele like it is written to please, but to express. Feels honest, done for fun and themselves, and just being a good music album for the sake of being a good debut music album. Yeah a bit of repetition but so what. Really enjoyed this.

Only ever gave one 10 before as far as I can remember, and checking back, it was the same nominator. But for a completely different album, of a different era, style and genre. There you go. A 10 from me for this week.
I think a 10 is great for any album, from anyone, but even more so for something being heard fresh, so to speak.

It really shows an impact on the individual.
Good for you Coats.

Now give In It for The Money a go.

Thanks. Part of it is made easier by working on a computer all day. It's easy to spend a few minutes here and there writing stuff down as you listen and then assemble it into something coherent later on.

We do seem to like the same type of music on both the Americana and rock fronts. Speaking of which .....

When I've completed the book I'm currently reading, I'm thinking of buying a book on Led Zeppelin. Your championing of them on the music threads had led me to listening to a good chunk of their albums and I think I'd enjoy reading about their story. I was thinking of Mick Wall's When Giants Walked The Earth. Have you read it or any of the other books?
I've not read Mick Wall's book.

I have read "Hammer of the Gods", which is entertaining but some of the "facts" are disputed.

Sorry not for me.
4 songs which i thought were alright.(See what i did there.)
Caught by the fuzz.Lose it.Strange Ones and the well known Alright which i gave one listen to.
Thought it was very samey until the last couple of awful slower songs.
4/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.