The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Hi Guys
Short one from me. I too am surprised at 'Holidays choice. I expected something errr.... deep and meaningful :)
Rap mixed with metal isnt my scene at all Im afraid. Their music actually sounds to me like it was made by a machine... Bullet in The Head is machinelike, it sounds to me sort of automated, like a... in a production like factory type of thing. I suspect a lot of content was sequenced.
This was the type of music Id hear coming from my boys bedroom when they were teenagers, I didnt complain as I subjected my parents to things like Yes's Close To The Edge LoL
Anyway its not my scene sorry, I dont hear/see/smell etc. enough in the music to stir my attention. Its too noisy !
Im 69 today, Im older than dust, Im more looking for peace and solitude in my "old bloke" years, give me something to think about hahaha.
Fair fucks to those who dig it though.........
3/10

Last edited:
Excellent choice IMO.

Excellent band at the top of their game and for a first release has many good songs.

one thing that is not mentioned enough I think about RATM is the melody when you layer the tracks.

When you have good musicians and a good message to sell to get the audience thinking beyond their comfort level which is missing in the main in todays releases invariably you end up with an album that will stand the test of time and this one definitely fits the bill.

Raw and pure and one in my favourite record collection albeit there are many.

8/10.

Hi Guys
Short one from me. I too am surprised at 'Holidays choice. I expected something errr.... deep and meaningful :)
Rap mixed with metal isnt my scene at all Im afraid. Their music actually sounds to me like it was made by a machine... Bullet in The Head is machinelike, it sounds to me sort of automated, like a... in a production like factory type of thing. I suspect a lot of content was sequenced.
This was the type of music Id hear coming from my boys bedroom when they were teenagers, I didnt complain as I subjected my parents to things like Yes's Close To The Edge LoL
Anyway its not my scene sorry, I dont hear/see/smell etc. enough in the music to stir my attention. Its too noisy !
Im 69 today, Im older than dust, Im more looking for peace and solitude in my "old bloke" years, give me something to think about hahaha.
3/10
Happy Birthday BW - what you got planned?

To be fair, as I would have offered up on many previous posts or reviews, it's a mix wouldn't necessarily appeal to me (and I'm only 35) but they are an exception as opposed to the being the rule............

Hi Guys
3/10
Happy birthday for yesterday. Hope you had a great day. Mine tomorrow (64). I think I will celebrate with some Kate Bush and maybe my 5.1 recording of Close to the Edge. My lad will be coming round tonight so I will be reminding him of his love for Ratm and tell him about this thread :-).

Yes, thanks. Thought I'd recognise it when somebody said it. Just couldn't work out the acronymn.

From Wikipedia:

"Grebo artists and fans sported long hair, dreadlocks and baggy shorts"

It makes it easier to picture Foggy now.
We used to call heavy metal fans Grebo's in the 80's, they didn't have baggy shorts or dreadlocks?

Thanks mate, appreciate it! Really fun to hear the whole thing again. Good stuff.
Exquisite again Fog , have you considered a shift in vocation to a ghost writer for many a celeb artist in any field but music is probably your forte and most desired I would humbly suggest.

Far be it from me to question the passion for your current vocation by liner notes in the box sets which need reviving could be your swan song until the children have to look after you.

Finding sets in this day and age maybe the issue.

Not sure if anything post 2010 is in your top twenty but we might find out in due course.

I struggle past 2000.

I struggle past 2000.
Maybe we need a third thread: 2000+ albums only. Like most people, most of my favourites are from the 20th century, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that there's at least 40 or 50 21st century albums that I love.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.