The back four isn’t title winning quality

Set pieces. Just sort out the set pieces. I know it comes across as a bit Tony Pulis or Sean Dyche, but if we sort out set pieces we will be almost unbeatable.

The club was advertising for a set piece analyst over the summer, they obviously know it's a problem, but they have to figure it out. It's not height, either, or the person on the post, the zonal marking is being exploited time after time.

If our defending from set pieces was just average instead of awful, we'd have beaten Spurs in the CL, we'd have conceded about 3 goals since Newcastle.

The problem is that it gives these teams way too much hope. Norwich went from expecting a thrashing to believing they could cause a massive upset, their pressing went up 20%, their attacks had more purpose, and they created the pressure which lead to the other goals.
Yes, I feel like I've been speaking into the void on this one. It's such a dumb flaw in our game, and as you pointed out especially harmful in that it gives pedestrian sides hope against us, that I can't believe we haven't sorted this out by now.

Similarly, what could be if instead of being absolutely hopeless we were just league average at scoring from corners as well? We have the most corners taken in the league this year, and took 50 more than the next highest in the league last year as well. I really don't understand why we're so inept at them, there are games where it feels like we could have 100 chances and not score.

Lots of over reactions to a poor team performance. As a fanbase we don't half dig the players out. At times deserved, but given the last 2 seasons I don't think it's justified.
If it was four games out of five with mistakes or poor performances, i'd understand. But it's been two performances like this, this calendar year.

Yes, I feel like I've been speaking into the void on this one. It's such a dumb flaw in our game, and as you pointed out especially harmful in that it gives pedestrian sides hope against us, that I can't believe we haven't sorted this out by now.

Similarly, what could be if instead of being absolutely hopeless we were just league average at scoring from corners as well? We have the most corners taken in the league this year, and took 50 more than the next highest in the league last year as well. I really don't understand why we're so inept at them, there are games where it feels like we could have 100 chances and not score.

To be fair only 3.2% of corners lead to goals worldwide, so there's a limited value to improving it, especially when we already score plenty but on the other hand, 40% of our goals conceded last season were from set pieces.

To be fair only 3.2% of corners lead to goals worldwide, so there's a limited value to improving it, especially when we already score plenty but on the other hand, 40% of our goals conceded last season were from set pieces.
Sure, but that still would've been ten league goals last season (not counting anything that happens as result of having the ball in the area), and like you say, some teams are especially susceptible to them.

We can still win a title with the squad we have despite the injuries long term to Laporte and Sane , we may not do it this year but we are capable of doing it.

May need some tinkering in January but if Liverpool for example lost two of their key personnel for 6 months against Napoli then the conversation might change.

After just watching the new training video up on you tube, Cancelo has to come into the side, looks top quality.

It is neither daft nor knee jerk imo and some might describe your post as head in the sand.
Walker, Stones, Nico and Zinch have been a big part of a double title winning defensive unit who, over those two seasons, conceded far fewer goals than the much wanked over Liverpool back line. Defenders mistakes are always unfairly highlighted.

To say that stalwarts of a double title winning team aren't title winning quality is daft. To say it after an unexpected away loss bears all the hallmarks of a knee jerk reaction.

If it was four games out of five with mistakes or poor performances, i'd understand. But it's been two performances like this, this calendar year.
If you focus on the defensive weaknesses this season there have been two bad ones already,with five soft goals conceded and five points lost. Now I know a lot of people object to any negative comment against the team and label it over reaction, there is no problem and Pep will sort it out etc. Now I believe we can sort out the issues but to pretend they don't exist is not helpful.

If you focus on the defensive weaknesses this season there have been two bad ones already,with five soft goals conceded and five points lost. Now I know a lot of people object to any negative comment against the team and label it over reaction, there is no problem and Pep will sort it out etc. Now I believe we can sort out the issues but to pretend they don't exist is not helpful.
VAR took 2 points and turned down 2 stonewall pens,let's not forget that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.