The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

But we'll be shaking like mud
Buildings of glass
Sink into the bay
They'll be under the rocks again
You don't have to say
I know you're afraid

Crowded House all the way
I saw them on the tour for Woodface, and a few times after that.

This was my favourite album for a few years in the early 90s. It's fallen a bit in the internal rankings but still a top 10/12 album in my collection. "It's Only Natural" is one of the great Neil/Tim collaborations.

I saw them on the tour for Woodface, and a few times after that.

This was my favourite album for a few years in the early 90s. It's fallen a bit in the internal rankings but still a top 10/12 album in my collection. "It's Only Natural" is one of the great Neil/Tim collaborations.

These are both great songs and Boogie Wonderland in many instances would get my vote but I have fond memories of the Woodface tour. I was slightly reluctantly dragged along to see them not because I didn't like the songs but because I thought live it might be a bit too 'polite' but I was utterly wrong ended up seeing them more than once touring those songs and subsequently. A different vibe from a lot of the gigs I'd been going to but absolutely great, really knew what they were doing, very together as a band and a lot of fun and warmth. I think when Tim decided to leave the tour it was the right thing for them all and it was a weight off everyone's shoulders and you could tell. When Paul Hester passed I immediately thought of that tour and how vibrant he had been and how together they were in the latter part of it.

Last edited:
But we'll be shaking like mud
Buildings of glass
Sink into the bay
They'll be under the rocks again
You don't have to say
I know you're afraid

Crowded House all the way

Almost as good as:
Midnight creeps so slowly into hearts of men
Who need more than they get
Daylight deals a bad hand to a woman
Who has laid too many bets
The mirror stares you in the face and says
"Baby, uh, uh, it don't work"
You say your prayers though you don't care
You dance and shake the hat
Dance, Boogie Wonderland, hey, hey
Dance, Boogie Wonderland

Another easy choice.

So I presume you'll be voting then?
I have voted. As I posted the videos, I can't like them. So as BH does, I put my name in bold under the video.

These are both great songs and Boogie Wonderland in many instances would get my vote but I have fond memories of the Woodface tour. I was slightly reluctantly dragged along to see them not because I didn't like the songs but because I thought live it might be a bit too 'polite' but I was utterly wrong ended up seeing them more than once touring those songs and subsequently. A different vibe from a lot of the gigs I'd been going to but absolutely great, really knew what they were doing, very together as a band and a lot of fun and warmth. I think when Tim decided to leave the tour it was the right thing for them all and it was a weight off everyone's shoulders and you could tell. When Paul Hester passed I immediately thought of that tour and how vibrant he had been and how together they were in the latter part of that tour.
Tim had already left by the time I saw them (March 1992 at the Apollo).

I saw Tim on his Before and After tour, at Manchester Uni in the summer of 1993.

I have voted. As I posted the videos, I can't like them. So as BH does, I put my name in bold under the video.

Tim had already left by the time I saw them (March 1992 at the Apollo).

I saw Tim on his Before and After tour, at Manchester Uni in the summer of 1993.

I remember NF talking about it a number of years later and it was exactly how I remembered it, there was nothing malicious it was just a bit awkward, the onstage chat etc didn't quite work with Tim and Neil sort of tripping over each other, I think Tim was a bit more flamboyant and the others were more like mates together which is what the latter gig felt like. No matter, as the songs they wrote together on that album were the thing that really counted.

I remember NF talking about it a number of years later and it was exactly how I remembered it, there was nothing malicious it was just a bit awkward, the onstage chat etc didn't quite work with Tim and Neil sort of tripping over each other, I think Tim was a bit more flamboyant and the others were more like mates together which is what the latter gig felt like. No matter, as the songs they wrote together on that album were the thing that really counted.
Yes, I think that I read the same thing. Having a flamboyant guy out front didn't really work for Crowded House songs. As you say, the songs they wrote together were amazing. There's a whole host of songs that didn't end up on Woodface, I think mainly stuff Neil had before they decided to combine the songs that they were writing onto one album. Some of those songs are great and can be heard on the Afterglow outtakes album and the extended version of Woodface that was released a few years ago.

Good song though it is, I think there's quite a few better than "It's Only Natural" on Woodface, including the underrated "Whispers and Moans" and "There Goes God".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.