The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P212 - R2/M105 - Oasis (Slide Away) v Elbow (One Day Like This)

It's funny how this thread has made me realise that from the 60's decade, the vast majority of music I like from that era was released by black artists (incomparison to my love of exclusively white 80's and 90's post punk / indie music).
Dylan, The Monkees and a couple of white Phil Spectre all girl groups apart, it's all the Motown stuff and soul songs. And here my 2 cultures clash.....
80's white goth / post punk / rock whichever genre The Cult fit in v a Motown classic. You would think it would be impossible to like both but i do...... and despite Billy Duffy being a Blue and the bloke who got Johnny Marr and Morrissey together..... I'm voting for the penalty taker extraordinaire Diana Ross and The Supremes here.
One of the greatest opening riffs of the 80's I know..... but it just comes up short here......
For the 60s black artists it has reinforced with me just how much better the solo artists were than the manufactured groups. Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Ben E King and even Dusty (who became a sort of honorary black when she started recording in Memphis), are all head and shoulders above bands like the Temptations, and the Supremes, the stand in a line and harmonize plastic soul / R&B manufactured pop.
By the time you add in people like Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin, then the Supremes, the Temptations and the 4 tops really don't get a look in as far as I'm concerned.

None of which relates to this match up, but frankly I think I'll give this one a miss

But it's the version being offered up.
I gathered that when I saw it:-)

I'm confident everyone has heard the single,/or more known shorter version and I don't know why bluehammer chose the other, all I'm saying is I personally wouldn't vote against a song because a longer intro version was put up.

But this is bluemoon I supppse:-)

Clause 10.

Bloomin hell, it’s hard to know sometimes and I’m in a hurry eating toast.

If I picked the short version someone would moan the longer version is better!
Always pick the shorter version coz some go crazy if they have to wait 30 secs longer for the riff.

Ooh I love the 3 min 30 version but 4 mins ? It just ruins the whole thing. I'd rather listen to Steps.

Odd fuckers.

Never do a classical song one.

I mean it's alright right but it does go on the old spice advert version was soooooo much better.

:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.