The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P218 - R2/M107 - Buffalo Springfield (For What It's Worth) v Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through The Grapevine)

They have improved if they are dross now.
I thought they did a couple of very good records in True Colours and Waiata, but didn't hear anything else by them I thought was close to as good (Mental Notes and Frenzy were meh). I never quite understood the Crowded House hype, and Tim Finn's solo stuff was ghastly.

I thought they did a couple of very good records in True Colours and Waiata, but didn't hear anything else by them I thought was close to as good (Mental Notes was meh). I never quite understood the Crowded House hype, and Tim Finn's solo stuff was ghastly.
Crowded house like the Beach Boys for me.
Couple of great songs but not one good album.
God only knows is a great song.

No, The Beach boys were better than other harmony bands. They wrote and sang loads of very good songs, of their type.

Good Vibrations is an astonishing single for its time. “God Only Knows” is also a bona fide classic.

I happen to agree that Pet Sounds is overrated but they were the best surf band.
I think Pet Sounds is overrated too but not only were they the best surf band, they're really the only one anyone needs that has vocals. There are some great instrumental surf songs by various artists. Obviously their use of the studio was hugely-influential which maybe is why they get hyped, although I think a lot of their biggest hits are great, and I'm already on record saying "God Only Knows" is the most beautiful pop song I think I've heard. Among popular American bands I'd probably argue the Beach Boys on the whole are actually underrated . . . but I'm from California, what does anyone expect me to say? :)

I think Pet Sounds is overrated too but not only were they the best surf band, they're really the only one anyone needs that has vocals. There are some great instrumental surf songs by various artists. Obviously their use of the studio was hugely-influential which maybe is why they get hyped, although I think a lot of their biggest hits are great, and I'm already on record saying "God Only Knows" is the most beautiful pop song I think I've heard. Among popular American bands I'd probably argue the Beach Boys on the whole are actually underrated . . . but I'm from California, what does anyone expect me to say? :)
Do you surf.

I do like a good surf instrumental.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.