The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P85 Round 1 / CC /M34 - Kraftwerk (Radioactivity) v The Bats (Sir Queen)

Of the sixteen songs, I predict 9 will be by Thin Lizzy, and the other 7 a combination of INXS and Midnight Oil. Maybe one or both of the Finns get in somehow. Won't be U2 -- everyone here hates U2.
If I had been present Fog I would have gone all parochial and selected Seasons of Change by Black Feather ( the vocal range of Neale Johns never ceases to amaze me that Bon Scott plays of all things the recorder on ) or kill two birds with a stone and list Undecided by the Masters Apprentices ( Mick Bower and the only OZZIE in my top thirty song writers of all time a song he penned in less than 15 minutes.

Neither would have got through but as you say it might have broken the stranglehold and at least no one else would have selected a song by either band.

I reckon I could have counted on your vote for old times sake (LOL).

1. They've gotten surprisingly short shrift on these threads historically which is why I didn't mention them.
2. Still a debate about whether they actually count as Scottish :).

Its a good point you make on both fronts Fog , do we look at their original line up( who has heard of Larry Van Kriedt ( top musician mind you born in San Fran whose old man played with Dave Brubeck ) ,original singer Dave Evans (Aussie born , Colin Burgess ex Masters Apprentices ) and the Young brothers.

Well of course we don't we look at Bon Scott and Brian Johnson don't we , well most of us do and IMO Bon was a far superior frontman the closest we over here could get to DLR without getting there but Scottish or Australian or whatever they struck true for their entire career and Dirty Deeds was their ballad to the world.

They certainly deserve one song in this comp.

If push comes to shove as they recorded first in Sydney and their line up when they started to make a mark on the pub scene had lived in Oz for many a lunar cycle ( Bon himself for 21 years ) at least all their musical lives I would say an Aussie band with a Scottish and American flavour should do the trick.

We have a few posters who actually watch eurovision so I'm concerned about choices from

France
Germany
Iceland
Belgium
Finland
Don't think Rammstein or Kraftwerk have appeared in Eurovision ( please correct me if I am mistaken ) but that Baby Lasagna lead singer wishes he was Till's love child.

Its a good point you make on both fronts Fog , do we look at their original line up( who has heard of Larry Van Kriedt ( top musician mind you born in San Fran whose old man played with Dave Brubeck ) ,original singer Dave Evans (Aussie born , Colin Burgess ex Masters Apprentices ) and the Young brothers.

Well of course we don't we look at Bon Scott and Brian Johnson don't we , well most of us do and IMO Bon was a far superior frontman the closest we over here could get to DLR without getting there but Scottish or Australian or whatever they struck true for their entire career and Dirty Deeds was their ballad to the world.

They certainly deserve one song in this comp.

If push comes to shove as they recorded first in Sydney and their line up when they started to make a mark on the pub scene had lived in Oz for many a lunar cycle ( Bon himself for 21 years ) at least all their musical lives I would say an Aussie band with a Scottish and American flavour should do the trick.
I was completely enthralled with Highway to Hell when it came out -- it was the first true "rock" not "pop" record I loved (edit: second, actually, after Van Halen's debut). In retrospect it's not quite as good as I made it out to be when I was a young teenager. Back in Black was an absolute phenomenon -- I still remember when my local radio station teased and teased and finally played "Hells Bells" the day the record came out and it blew me away even without Bon Scott.

But looking back on their output now, I go back and forth between "Problem Child" and "It's A Long Way To The Top" as my favo(u)rite tune of theirs -- the bagpipes in the latter are so fucking funny and work so well it's hard to discount it, but the "Problem Child" riff is unstoppable, and that little spot about 2/3rds in where the tempo picks up slightly is just so, so good. At their best they are near the pinnacle of great old school rock n' roll bands and I can't see ever not loving them in whatever iteration of personnel they bring forth. Please turn your speakers up to 11, thank you.

That National song is nothing to write home about, but it still wins out for me.

I’m always amazed that Springsteen somehow managed to write a song as brilliant as ‘Philadelphia’. I suppose you’re going to strike it lucky once though, if you keep at something for 50 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.