The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P85 Round 1 / CC /M35 - Kraftwerk (Autobahn) v The Birthday Party (Dead Joe)

This might be closer - two great songs, each done in the cover artists distinctive way. In the end that Pet Shop Boys drum machine was too insistent for my liking - time to go and recover with Willie Nelson.

Last edited:
Loved the Wilson Pickett. He hasn't got the purity of Sam Cooke's soulful voice on it but his slightly gravelly take on it is fabulous. Great to hear some proper soul- Otis, Sam Cooke, Marvin, Aretha were superb but none of the modern so called soul artists can hold a candle to them.

The Pet Shop Boys on the other hand were like the Norwegian Blue- E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker

Just a point- the singer is Willie Nelson. I can only assume you have named your manhood after the famous admiral

I suppose they are both one-eyed
So now I have to spellcheck everything to ensure our conversation isn't reduced to this? Piss off

AOMM manages to sound both regretful and celebratory at the same time, and is a very smart update of the original(s)

I didn't know the Oasis version - it's fun, but they don't really do anything with it. For a very different version (but you probably need to be a folky to appreciate it) check out Martin Carthy's version.

The Pips make the track their own after two earlier versions - so it's a clearly a cover, and it's a classic.
I've just what you suggested and dug out the Martin Carthy- quite surreal what he's done with it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.