The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

I love, love, love Joy Division.

But I simply can not listen to New Order
due to Barney Sumner's lyrics being literally the worst of any band ever. Yes, even worse than Oasis and Janet Jackson.

There's also the small matter of Shine On You Crazy Diamond being of truly legendary status and being by one of the most gifted bands in musical history.
I'm actually quite shocked that there are 4 New Order songs entered for this yet we don't see anything by Joy Division.
Any of Love Will Tear Us Apart, She’s Lost Control, and Atmosphere would, to my mind, beat the New Order entrants in a head to head. They were way cooler and much more innovative.
Still there's no accounting for folk as they say

#10​

#9​

#8​

#7​

#6​

#4​

#3​

#1​

Profound or ironic? I don't think so.

So pleased, by the way, that you have studied me so much that you know exactly how much I have/haven't listened to NO before offering my opinion. Apologies that it isn't worth anything like as much as your high and mighty exalted one :-)

#10​

#9​

#8​

#7​

#6​

#4​

#3​

#1​

Profound or ironic? I don't think so.

So pleased, by the way, that you have studied me so much that you know exactly how much I have/haven't listened to NO before offering my opinion. Apologies that it isn't worth anything like as much as your high and mighty exalted one :-)
The fact that you don’t understand the very first song on your list is meant to be joke (ever notice how Barney stifles a giggle when he sings that line?) already tells me you have it wrong. Next thing you’ll be telling me how “Lonesome Tonight” is meant to be taken seriously.

Enjoy your search for profundity (I’m stifling a giggle too).

The fact that you don’t understand the very first song on your list is meant to be joke (ever notice how Barney stifles a giggle when he sings that line?) already tells me you have it wrong. Next thing you’ll be telling me how “Lonesome Tonight” is meant to be taken seriously.

Enjoy your search for profundity (I’m stifling a giggle too).
He probably giggles because he realises how crap it is yet he gets paid for it. That is the only irony and it is the mugs that buy the records, cds, downloads, tickets that keep on supporting such banality.

Did you ever stop to think that Barney might be being ironic? Because if you haven’t, you should have.
Barney has come out himself and said that he struggles to write lyrics and that they are the last part of the songwriting process, added in quickly at the end.

There's nothing clever or ironic about them. If he had the ability to write ironic lyrics, then he would also have the ability to write good lyrics, which he never has.

I think New Order have got some great music. Of course they have: after all, they are largely the same musicians who were in Joy Division. But the lyrics are so cringe-inducing that it is rendered simply unlistenable for me.

Looks like there's going to be tears here.

Please click 'Like' on the song you prefer.

Round 2/M4
The Chameleons - Tears
v
Aldous Harding - Stop Your Tears

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.