The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - R3/M127 - P248 - Deep Purple (Hush) v CSN&Y (Country Girl)

One of the best Oasis tracks, and it doesn't seem to be beefed up with a bit of plagiarism which is a bonus.

However, gone for Nothing Compares for personal reasons and it has a strong and genuine soul laid bare quality.

I've never been convinced by Slide Away. It's real amateur stuff.
It certainly doesn't compare to Sinead's classic (see what I did there- even BH95 would be proud of that play on words). No contest!
I agree -- it's pedestrian relative to others in their catalogue. Can't quite understand the rapture over it, and I certainly like Oasis plenty.

I agree -- it's pedestrian relative to others in their catalogue. Can't quite understand the rapture over it, and I certainly like Oasis plenty.

I can understand that if you’re not a fan or not to fussed about Oasis.

Considering this was never released as a single it’s garnered a huge cult following and tops most Oasis polls as the Number 1 song, I think it’s the pinnacle of Noel’s creativity, lyrically it’s quite emotional and Liams vocal are at peak combined with the wall of sound that Oasis created back in their prime 94-96.

Ultimately it’s a power ballad but seems to have such a raw authentic feel about it and the structure is different to their normal output, it sounds like several choruses throughout until the ‘don’t know, don’t care’ cresendo in the final couple minutes - not forgetting the awesome guitar solo. I could go on but I won’t.

Now which handsome bugger selected this hmm.

O Connor’s voice is beautiful and pisses all over the original by prince . However for me slide away is one of the few oasis songs that has stood the test of time . As another poster has already said it evokes memories of care free times with city and mates .

I can understand that if you’re not a fan or not to fussed about Oasis.

Considering this was never released as a single it’s garnered a huge cult following and tops most Oasis polls as the Number 1 song, I think it’s the pinnacle of Noel’s creativity, lyrically it’s quite emotional and Liams vocal are at peak combined with the wall of sound that Oasis created back in their prime 94-96.

Ultimately it’s a power ballad but seems to have such a raw authentic feel about it and the structure is different to their normal output, it sounds like several choruses throughout until the ‘don’t know, don’t care’ cresendo in the final couple minutes - not forgetting the awesome guitar solo. I could go on but I won’t.

Now which handsome bugger selected this hmm.
Mate — both of them are cunts (possibly loveable cunts, but cunts none the less) as we all know — so IMO looking for emotion or meaning in their music relative to other artists is a pretty fruitless exercise, even if relative to the rest of their work this is a bit more heart-on-sleeve here. What they have is a massive, hooky sound tailor-made for an arena and a unique ability to write rousing choruses that few have ever matched. On that scale I think much of their other output succeeds. Not that I don’t like SA — just not as much as a number of other songs.

Last edited:
Acting in my position of co-deputy thread runner, I feel duty bound to issue you a yellow card on the basis that this statement quite possibly breaches rule #1.
To be fair, I think most of us guessed it was his when he left the match in round 2 running for approximately 17 business days to get as many votes possible for the potential semi final cut off ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.