The British Monarchy | Princess of Wales diagnosed with cancer (p396)

west didsblue

I'm not a royalist, i hope her health issues improve and certainly wish her no harm.
I do think that, after she passes, we should have a vote about whether we keep the monarchy or not
I think referenda have proven themselves to be not the best of ideas. If enough people felt strongly enough about it, one of the parties could include it in their manifesto at the next election and then we could see if they get into power on the basis of abolishment of the monarchy.

I think referenda have proven themselves to be not the best of ideas. If enough people felt strongly enough about it, one of the parties could include it in their manifesto at the next election and then we could see if they get into power on the basis of abolishment of the monarchy.
A fair point, I doubt any party would do that though.

True, but it would be a lot more fun than the Brexit referendum . I suspect it would divide along very similar lines to Brexit, but the stakes would be lower.

True, but it would be a lot more fun than the Brexit referendum . I suspect it would divide along very similar lines to Brexit, but the stakes would be lower.

Maybe, except I would probably vote to retain the institution. Not through any love or interest in the Royal Family, but because I wouldn’t trust this country to put anything remotely credible inits place.

As a functioning State we would be hard pushed to tie our own shoelaces.

That said, I don’t see the Royal Family lasting much beyond Liz. William is probably the safe option. Harry and Megan to inject a bit of life into it would get my vote.

Maybe, except I would probably vote to retain the institution. Not through any love or interest in the Royal Family, but because I wouldn’t trust this country to put anything remotely credible inits place.

As a functioning State we would be hard pushed to tie our own shoelaces.

That said, I don’t see the Royal Family lasting much beyond Liz. William is probably the safe option. Harry and Megan to inject a bit of life into it would get my vote.

That's actually a very good but a very depressing point.

So we can't change anything because we would probably get something worse :(

However, I am very much cheered up by the thought of Piers Morgan's reaction if the bolded line came to fruition!!

That's actually a very good but a very depressing point.

So we can't change anything because we would probably get something worse :(

However, I am very much cheered up by the thought of Piers Morgan's reaction if the bolded line came to fruition!!

That would be a bonus. Thing is, in terms of making the Monarchy fit or relevant for next generation or so, Harry and Megan would be a good call. It will never happen, but for its own survival it should.

They would if they thought it would get them elected. Which, because they don't, kind of proves the point as they don't see abolishing the monarchy as a vote-winner.
They need the queen to appoint them. If they want their Lords' seat later in life they leave it as it is under an unelected upper chamber and ceremonial dictator.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.