The British Monarchy

The funeral and lying-in-state of the Queen cost taxpayers an estimated £161.7m, official figures show. Good value or should it have been paid out of their extreme wealth ?

Superb value, all day (and night) TV coverage, individuals eulogising about a woman most have never met, or understand the cloistered environment they lived within.

Her kids got back in the dressing up box to show off.

The 'lied to' Holly and the late lamented and totally honest Pip were able to queue jump.

To be fair what else could the £161.7m been used for?

Perhaps food banks or pot holes

Also laughable, how ever much Charlie inherited from his mum, no inheritance tax to pay....

Superb value, all day (and night) TV coverage, individuals eulogising about a woman most have never met, or understand the cloistered environment they lived within.

Her kids got back in the dressing up box to show off.

The 'lied to' Holly and the late lamented and totally honest Pip were able to queue jump.

To be fair what else could the £161.7m been used for?

Perhaps food banks or pot holes

Also laughable, how ever much Charlie inherited from his mum, no inheritance tax to pay....
And the pedo Andrew is free to roam the streets

You'd think he pays taxes in the UK and still has a TV licence, the amount of moaning he does.

@Bill Walker

Australia should have chipped in, she was your queenie too.
FYI I do pay taxes in the UK.

Anyway that's beside the point. I just think it's abhorrent and disgusting that 160 million of public money is spent on a funeral for the richest women in the world (or one of them) when there are people sleeping under bridges a lot of whom require mental health help.

I am neither pro nor anti royal, however, I will say this.
One argument is that if we were to end the monarchy it would hit tourism.
Wandering round the summer palace in Beijing a couple of days ago, there were huge numbers of people, thousands, visiting the site.
The same would be true of the Forbidden City.
Now China hasn't had a royal family for over a hundred years, yet people still go to those sites. The same with the valley of the kings in Egypt or castles in Germany.
None of these places (and others) have had a royal presence for a very long time, but people, thousands of people, still go to them.
If we in the UK abolished the monarchy, would tourism stop do you think? Would it decrease? Would it even increase?
How much of a loss would it actually be to the nation, in £s, to not have a monarchy?

I am neither pro nor anti royal, however, I will say this.
One argument is that if we were to end the monarchy it would hit tourism.
Wandering round the summer palace in Beijing a couple of days ago, there were huge numbers of people, thousands, visiting the site.
The same would be true of the Forbidden City.
Now China hasn't had a royal family for over a hundred years, yet people still go to those sites. The same with the valley of the kings in Egypt or castles in Germany.
None of these places (and others) have had a royal presence for a very long time, but people, thousands of people, still go to them.
If we in the UK abolished the monarchy, would tourism stop do you think? Would it decrease? Would it even increase?
How much of a loss would it actually be to the nation, in £s, to not have a monarchy?
Paris has the most tourism. No Royals.
I don't think tourists expect to see a Royal person. It's more the famous buildings etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.