The Collapse Of An Empire?

jamielowndes said:
They finished second in the league on goal difference, Man Uniteds "Empire" is a long way off. We witnessed a new hope, so prepare for the empire to strike back.

Second is always a failure to the scum let em finish second for the next 10 years behind us

Uber Blues said:
If we take them again next year we can rock them down to their foundations and heap huge pressure on them.

With Shagger Giggs and The Saddleworth Ginger getting a year older, a few more midfielders wll be giving them the runaround this year.
Onwards and downwards for the men in red i say.

Bigga said:
Why does everyone bleat on about the goal difference win??

If you remember, we fooked up in Jan for some period of time! Even IF they'd have had Vidic and we'd have had Yaya, we would have STILL won, in my opinion.
And we were without Tevez for almost the entire season

Goo said:
HellasLEAF said:
They lost on goal difference. Hardly signalling the collapse of an empire. Let's not get ahead of ourselves United are still a top side and whether we like it or not, their club will attract top talent to play for them.

You've either not read what I wrote properly or misunderstood it. I'm not expecting United to become relegation fodder next season, I'm not even expecting them to drop out of the top four. They may do a bit better in the CL next season. What I am expecting, and forecasting in my OP is that overall, their results and success will decline.

If they won the Carling cup or FA Cup next season, I wouldn't consider that proof that I'm wrong. Their line of decline isn't linear. There are peaks and slumps, but I think if you extrapolate this line, it will point downwards.

I have said time and time again on this thread that I believe United are punching above their weight. There is only so long you can maintain that before you start to slip. The time frame I'm estimating is comparable to Liverpool's decline. A very long time!

United will be near the top for a long time, but in 10-20 years, we might start to see them fall way below the standard their fans have come to expect in the previous 20 years.

Your right I didn't read your full post. It was very long.

Maybe you should have titled it the slow and steady decline of an empire then. Not 'collapse' of an empire lol.

HellasLEAF said:
Goo said:
HellasLEAF said:
They lost on goal difference. Hardly signalling the collapse of an empire. Let's not get ahead of ourselves United are still a top side and whether we like it or not, their club will attract top talent to play for them.

You've either not read what I wrote properly or misunderstood it. I'm not expecting United to become relegation fodder next season, I'm not even expecting them to drop out of the top four. They may do a bit better in the CL next season. What I am expecting, and forecasting in my OP is that overall, their results and success will decline.

If they won the Carling cup or FA Cup next season, I wouldn't consider that proof that I'm wrong. Their line of decline isn't linear. There are peaks and slumps, but I think if you extrapolate this line, it will point downwards.

I have said time and time again on this thread that I believe United are punching above their weight. There is only so long you can maintain that before you start to slip. The time frame I'm estimating is comparable to Liverpool's decline. A very long time!

United will be near the top for a long time, but in 10-20 years, we might start to see them fall way below the standard their fans have come to expect in the previous 20 years.

Your right I didn't read your full post. It was very long.

Maybe you should have titled it the slow and steady decline of an empire then. Not 'collapse' of an empire lol.

Haha, fair one! It needs to be dramatic enough to get people to read the full post! Catch 22!

Berkovic_blue said:
Great OP that, I think even the general media are cottoning on their hypocrisy now as it's so obvious. latest example: Rooney has been moaning again about the Sunderland fans yet was happy to take the piss on twitter when Ivory Coast lost the ACN

What has shrek said about Sunderland supporters?

Vienna_70 said:
Berkovic_blue said:
Great OP that, I think even the general media are cottoning on their hypocrisy now as it's so obvious. latest example: Rooney has been moaning again about the Sunderland fans yet was happy to take the piss on twitter when Ivory Coast lost the ACN

Here ya go:

Wayne Rooney has already lit the blue touchpaper on next season’s title race by sneering at City’s Premier League triumph. And the United striker has vowed the Reds will be back stronger than ever in a bid to reclaim the crown they so dramatically lost on the final day of the campaign. Roberto Mancini’s Blues have been lauded for the way in which they won their first title in 44 years this season. But Rooney has other ideas, dismissing City’s success. “Everyone’s been saying how well City have played and how they’ve dominated the Premier League, but they’ve done it on goal difference!” said the 26-year-old. “We can hold our heads up high because we pushed City all the way. “We’ll be back, there’s no worries about that, we will be back stronger and better than ever.” Rooney also has hit out at Sunderland’s fans who celebrated City’s astonishing late comeback to snatch the crown from the Reds, who had won at the Stadium of Light on the nail-biting final day of the campaign.“Of course, you wish it hadn’t happened like that for our fans,” he said. “And for us as players, it was sickening really to lose the title like that. “When the final whistle went, we didn’t really know what the score at City was. “But then we heard the Sunderland fans cheering. “It was sad to see that because they should be supporting their own team really. They didn’t have the best of seasons themselves so for them to be cheering like that was sad. It was something myself and a lot of the players won’t forget.”

Goo said:
Vienna_70 said:
Berkovic_blue said:

Here ya go:

Wayne Rooney has already lit the blue touchpaper on next season’s title race by sneering at City’s Premier League triumph. And the United striker has vowed the Reds will be back stronger than ever in a bid to reclaim the crown they so dramatically lost on the final day of the campaign. Roberto Mancini’s Blues have been lauded for the way in which they won their first title in 44 years this season. But Rooney has other ideas, dismissing City’s success. “Everyone’s been saying how well City have played and how they’ve dominated the Premier League, but they’ve done it on goal difference!” said the 26-year-old. “We can hold our heads up high because we pushed City all the way. “We’ll be back, there’s no worries about that, we will be back stronger and better than ever.” Rooney also has hit out at Sunderland’s fans who celebrated City’s astonishing late comeback to snatch the crown from the Reds, who had won at the Stadium of Light on the nail-biting final day of the campaign.“Of course, you wish it hadn’t happened like that for our fans,” he said. “And for us as players, it was sickening really to lose the title like that. “When the final whistle went, we didn’t really know what the score at City was. “But then we heard the Sunderland fans cheering. “It was sad to see that because they should be supporting their own team really. They didn’t have the best of seasons themselves so for them to be cheering like that was sad. It was something myself and a lot of the players won’t forget.”

Good luck on getting revenge on the black cats next season Wayne, we have bigger fish to fry thanks.

MSP said:
It was something myself and a lot of the players won’t forget.

typical arrogant rag twat..

hope sunderland players won't forget it too and actually give a damn next time they play against rags

I wouldn't bank on that happening! What will be interesting next season will be to see how managers set up their teams against United, especially at home. Last season the bottom half teams all but roll over against them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.