The Conservative Party/Government

You’ve highlighted the biggest problem we are faced with today, that of people not being curious. The education system is redefined almost annually, to ensure that particular quality is lacking, which is one of the greatest dis-services this, and many other governments do.
The last thing they want is a population that is not only curious but capable of critical thinking!!
Or would rather share their scepticism than type "samaritans cost of suicide" and press a button.

There is a relation between what you pay and what you get out.
10 years full NI for any state pension at all and 35 years for a full,one.
Every full years NI paid in gets you 1/35th of the full state pension.
Yeah I know that. I meant more that there's no relation between the actual money you put in and the money you get out, because it's basically a tax. Incidentally, even the percentage of 35 years is a new thing. It used to be that if you missed it by a single year, you only got the basic state pension.

Well it breaks down like this:

Cost of actual death (emergency services, coroner, and family costs) are ~£8.5k

The other £1.446m Is made up of loss of earnings/productivity and something they call “intangible costs”. These intangible costs are made up of something the government calls the value of quality of life - which they place at £70k per year per person for a healthy life. The Samaritans are taking this £70k x number of years you’d have lived, they then deduct the productivity so as not to double count. They also then add in what you might have spent on shit plus productivity lost by your family as they grieve etc.

The quality of life metric isn’t particularly meaningful in this context IMHO and accounts for half the amount quoted.
Thanks for explaining. I think most would agree that adequate mental health provision and early intervention would certainly save more money than these things can end up costing further down the line (on both a human and economic level).

Thanks for explaining. I think most would agree that adequate mental health provision and early intervention would certainly save more money than these things can end up costing further down the line (on both a human and economic level).

I do think mental health is a, quite possibly the, big one.

Right now our social and health systems are spending huge sums of money putting people back together. The number of people who ignore their physical health until they are in crisis and need acute care is heartbreaking- a big part of that has to be down to mental health and other early interventions. We simply spend too much money on the symptoms and ignore the causes so it’s a never ending sausage factory.

If they want to solve it:

1. They need to employ (and therefore train) mental health professionals on a far greater scale than are available today. This will cost money and take time. As matters stand, it is very, very hard to get proper care from a consultant. I had to really press my GP as I did not want to spend the rest of my life sat on a chair watching TV. The 'system' is quite happy for you to do exactly that as you are no danger to yourself or others. (Obviously, if you are a mad axeman they intervene more promptly.)

2. They need to fund a proper academic study into the factors in modern life that are increasing mental illness. BTW, I guarantee they will not like the results. Nor will many people in the community. The pressure of life these days is infinitely stronger than it was even 30 years ago, and no one will tell me otherwise. To give but one example, when people are spending half their wage on rent, it leaves them in a semi-permanent financial crisis. There are no easy answers, by the way. You would need a comprehensive review of how our society works, and it would be painful, controversial and expensive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.